Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:17 AM

569 posts, read 1,410,107 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to put my .02 in as a hetero male. Since 28205 is in my area of Plaza Mid and Chantilly I think this info is a real benefit to our side of town. I hate to stereotype but here it goes anyway...from what I have seen and experienced over the years I have come to the conclusion that gay and lesbian folks take darn great care of the property they own. I don't think I have ever met a gay neighbor that did not have a pristine lawn or house for that matter. Lets face it...gay people bring up property values. You are welcome in my hood anytime!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 08:27 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
Just wanted to put my .02 in as a hetero male. Since 28205 is in my area of Plaza Mid and Chantilly I think this info is a real benefit to our side of town. I hate to stereotype but here it goes anyway...from what I have seen and experienced over the years I have come to the conclusion that gay and lesbian folks take darn great care of the property they own. I don't think I have ever met a gay neighbor that did not have a pristine lawn or house for that matter. Lets face it...gay people bring up property values. You are welcome in my hood anytime!
Even though they get all that confetti everywhere?

Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-24-2010 at 05:23 PM..

Old 03-24-2010, 08:42 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kja25 View Post
Rock on!
I know 28209 has at least one couple (my gf and I)
It is nice to know that some areas in Charlotte are becoming more gay friendly. Sometimes it all looks so unwelcoming. Although I don't think I would move to the East Charlotte area.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:02 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,404 times
Isn't any area of Charlotte a great place for homosexuals?

If a Hispanic/Black/Tongan person asked this forum for a similar reccomendation, many would ask why they wanted to self segregate.

All of Charlotte is welcoming. And all posters should be treated with the same level of respect.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:08 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Isn't any area of Charlotte a great place for homosexuals?

If a Hispanic/Black/Tongan person asked this forum for a similar reccomendation, many would ask why they wanted to self segregate.

All of Charlotte is welcoming. And all posters should be treated with the same level of respect.
There have always been pockets of communities where like minded, cultured, etc. people have gathered. What is the difference between asking where gays live in Charlotte and where is Chinatown, Little Italy, etc.?

Old 03-24-2010, 10:31 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
To a certain extent, we need to realize that this is human nature and we need to stop acting like it isn't. That's the only thing I hate about all of this emphasis on multiculturalism: we act like people should lose their individual identities regarding race/ethnicity/etc. and that natural tendency to associate with those we hold commonalities with just to become a miscellaneous person in a number.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:45 PM

143 posts, read 537,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post

ha, this made me laugh. I definitely don't mind being put into this stereotype. It is very true though, my yard is the best maintained in my little area

Old 03-25-2010, 09:11 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,242 times
Tired of the Gay agenda

Old 03-25-2010, 09:20 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
What is the "gay agenda" to your mind, mrd?

Old 03-25-2010, 11:28 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
To a certain extent, we need to realize that this is human nature and we need to stop acting like it isn't. That's the only thing I hate about all of this emphasis on multiculturalism: we act like people should lose their individual identities regarding race/ethnicity/etc. and that natural tendency to associate with those we hold commonalities with just to become a miscellaneous person in a number.
Very well put. I have been contemplating this a lot lately . . . we had a poster ask about an Indian community and my two Indian friends have said there is no real "community" here but they had found some other Indians to live near in the University area and in Kannapolis. I didn't find that odd at all to want to be in closer contact w/ others who can appreciate your background, culture, and share relocation tips with - all those things we do with our friends who form our support system. It seems natural and normal to me to yearn for others who we know will have shared similar experiences to those we have had.

When I moved to the midwest, I looked around for other Southerners (never found any, Hee Hee).

It seems here in the South, we are always skittish about any suggestion of a particular "cluster" of a demographic of folks, especially if it has to do with race, b/c we are well aware of the history of red-lining and segregation from 50 years ago.

Yet, we choose neighborhoods based on criteria that usually have to do with our family. If we have children in school, that is usually a top criteria. If we have kids at home, we look for communities w/ other couples who have kids at home so the kids can have play-mates and make friends and know others at school. If we are retired, we want to be around at least a few folks who are retired (even if we want variety w/ some children and younger couples).

Seems natural to me for folks to seek out a neighborhood with at least a few other folks who have some of the same interests as we do, whether we are new mommies wanting to be around some other new mommies, or whether we are a gay couple hoping to be around some other gay couples . . . or a white/hispanic/black family hoping to having some other white/hispanic/black families nearby . . .

I just don't see this yearning to be around some other folks "like us" (however we may "define" ourselves) is strange and certainly it shouldn't be assumed that there is some agenda that goes along with it . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte