U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:53 PM
am2 am2 started this thread

413 posts, read 745,230 times

Advertisements

As we all know, in the next year or so, DOT plans to convert Independece BLVD into an expressway to conference dr.

Some people are up in arms over, which is understandable......

But what is wrong with converitng into a freeway? It wouldmake for a easier commute from Matthwes and Union County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,282,322 times
It would further destroy the neighborhoods it cuts through. Limit cross streets and increas traffic between SE and NE sides of town. I guess it would be good for people out of town, but will hurt city residents. The city should not spend a dime on it, and I hope they are not. Freeways do a lot of damage to neighborhoods. Chantilly and Plaza-Midwood are just recently recovering from the decision to run the freeway in the first place 50 years ago. Same thing with uptown and 277.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:42 PM

769 posts, read 1,984,353 times
Just like coped said it will hurt the neighborhoods all along that section - the rest of Independence will soon look like the area between Eastway and Albemarle, with empty buildings going to ruin - which is exactly how that area got that way. Make it too hard for people to get to the businesses and they quit going, and the businesses close.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:46 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,136,361 times
Much as I would like to save a few minutes on my commute, I don't want Namaste to close!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:16 PM

95 posts, read 214,961 times
Why is Charlotte doing this project when we are the only city in the country with a "C" and not a loop, they need to finish 485

Old 03-26-2010, 05:05 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,946,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbury84 View Post
Why is Charlotte doing this project when we are the only city in the country with a "C" and not a loop, they need to finish 485
It is the NCDOT that is doing this project, not Charlotte. In NC the responsibility of all highways rests with the state. In most circumstances, with only a few very specific items approved for Charlotte by the Legislature, Charlotte is limited to maintaining neighborhood streets. (like all cities in NC, counties are prohibited from road construction) Funding for I-485 and Independence are coming from different buckets in part because there is federal highway money involved that is very specific as to how it is used.

There are only 2 or 3 other states in the Union that handle road construction this way. It's existed this way since the 1920s in NC where the mostly rural state voted to take over road construction to bring roads to the rural parts of this state. Now, close to a century later, it gives the NC Legislature and Governor enormous power to direct development. It's not something they are likely to give up soon.

The Independence project has been on the books for a very long time. I would say that it's closing in on 30 years if not longer. It came as a request by the city to the state for some sort of East/West freeway. On the earlier comments about the abandoned buildings, it was like this too in the section between downtown and the old Coliseum, but the difference in places like Elizabeth and Plaza/Midwood is they bought up all the old businesses there, tore them down, and planted those grassy knolls.

Speaking of that, the exact same complaints came from Plaza Midwood 20 years ago when they did it there.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:29 AM

62 posts, read 131,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
It would further destroy the neighborhoods it cuts through. Limit cross streets and increas traffic between SE and NE sides of town. I guess it would be good for people out of town, but will hurt city residents. The city should not spend a dime on it, and I hope they are not. Freeways do a lot of damage to neighborhoods. Chantilly and Plaza-Midwood are just recently recovering from the decision to run the freeway in the first place 50 years ago. Same thing with uptown and 277.
Yes, we should stop building freeways. what a horrible investment. we should get rid of all of them and replace them with walking trails.
Now thinking a bit more logically, you need to be able to move traffic in and out and thru Charlotte. You cant fix the poor planning of 50 years ago, but you can build it without killing every business along the route. You have to provide easy access on and off, easy ways to get across and economic incentives to get businesses along the corridor besides car dealerships and fast food restaurants.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:35 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,012,113 times
I'm an east Charlotte denizen and I absolutely support the expressway. Just get it done!

The UNCERTAINTY is what kills the businesses and leaves vacant properties... people are sure if they will be able to use those locations or not. If the state would just put down a plan and stick with it the collaterals will sort themselves out.

Hwy 74 has been planned to be an expressway since it's inception... this isn't a new development.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:29 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,282,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianTrailDude View Post
Yes, we should stop building freeways. what a horrible investment. we should get rid of all of them and replace them with walking trails.
Now thinking a bit more logically, you need to be able to move traffic in and out and thru Charlotte. You cant fix the poor planning of 50 years ago, but you can build it without killing every business along the route. You have to provide easy access on and off, easy ways to get across and economic incentives to get businesses along the corridor besides car dealerships and fast food restaurants.

Yes, freeways are a pretty bad investment for a CITY. That is why Charlotte should not spend a dime on this if they are going to build it. It's a big spur of development in outlying areas and disinvestment in the city itself. They are essentially walls that segment and isolate sections of a city. We have 50 years of evidence of this. Just drive down East Morehead and notice the change when you cross 77 onto West Morehead. Homeowner property values in difficult to reach places near the freeway but not near exits will see their property values plummet. I have seen some freeways in some cities that don't completely ruin the neighborhoods they cross through, but they are typically built below grade with many crossings. It doesn't look like easy crossing is on the radar for the DOT judging from what they did between the Coliseum and Albemarle 8 years ago. There might be some gridlock on Independence now, but do you really think that's going to stop if they turn it into a freeway? Maybe for a year or two.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:21 PM
am2 am2 started this thread

413 posts, read 745,230 times
great responces! buit I hope the expressway gets built!

they should build access roads on each side like the ones in Texas and Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or