U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 02:30 PM

14 posts, read 33,788 times
Default Lawn care prices

I am relocating to Charlotte from Maryland, and am closing on my house on Tuesday. I've just started my research on lawn care and need some advice from the natives

The house I am buying has .12 acres (dinky) and much of which is covered by the house, a concrete patio or shrubs. Basically I have a small front yard and slivers on the sides.

I have one quote from a company stating that the minimum is $160 monthly for an annual contract covering mowing, weed control, seeding, edging, shrub trimming. They won't come to give me a true estimate unless I agree in advance to pay for them to mow the day they give me come for the estimate (ridiculous).

I have a very bad back, so I worry about doing the work myself, but this seems overpriced for my lawn based on the size. So I ask here, is this a good price in Charlotte for .12 acres?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 02:40 PM

14,699 posts, read 13,551,850 times
That definitely seems high to me. This is who I use: Rich Samson Lawn Care and Landscaping. I have .25 and it costs $30 a pop to mow, edge and then I just do weeding, trimming and seeding as needed. I would think it would work out to less than $160 a month for sure.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:59 PM

1,042 posts, read 1,390,942 times
I had a flyer in the mailbox this past week from a company called Delfinos Lawn Care Service offering mowing, trimming, edging, blow clippings for just $25/week or $30 every other week.
No Contract required.

I have no idea about the quality of the work, but with no contracts you wouldn't have too much to lose if they were sub-par.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:12 PM

589 posts, read 808,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calyxx View Post
The house I am buying has .12 acres (dinky)...

I have one quote from a company stating that the minimum is $160 monthly for an annual contract covering mowing, weed control, seeding, edging, shrub trimming. They won't come to give me a true estimate unless I agree in advance to pay for them to mow the day they give me come for the estimate (ridiculous).

If you pay $160/month (almost $2,000/year) for that .12 acres, then you have only yourself to blame. And the whole thing about needing a deposit, before they can give a price, sounds like a scam.

I know my HOA pays about $1,000/month for the services that you listed, but they have like 10+ acres so that comes out to $100/acre.

Please shop around and don't get ripped off.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:30 AM

14 posts, read 33,788 times
Thanks for the responses. Being from outside the area, it's tough to know local pricing for services, which is why I asked. Even if the price were reasonable (and I thought it was insane), the guy I spoke with this morning didn't have a chance of getting my business once he said he couldn't give me a price unless he mowed it. I was expecting $25-35/week but really didn't know.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:42 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,072,524 times
I pay $22 for mowing and edging an a .13 acre lot. I use MowPros.net. I have only used them once but so far I am happy. I did not sign a contract either. I would never sign a contract for mowing.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:26 AM

87 posts, read 141,023 times
The best thing you can do is ask your new neighbors who they use. They probablly have the low down on what is or should be charged in your neighborhood. That is what we did. We are full service, but are only charged for what they do which isn't weekly service during the winter months. We pay a standard mow charge, then we pay extra when they mulch which is 2x a year, fertilize, 2x a year, trim 3x a year, I add flowers in during the seasons, etc... No contract... I think our standard yard service which is mow, blow, edge, and weed as needed is 30 or 40 each time, but we have .80 acre. In the winter, they stop by once a month to check on the yard, they maybe have mowed twice since Christmas. If they don't come we aren't charged, we are only charged for what is done. I would never pay upfront a monthly service.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:45 AM

1,915 posts, read 2,766,100 times
I wouldn't use a "company"...I have an awesome yard guy that does all this for $40 each visit (bi-weekly)...I have no complaints. This is his 2nd job, and does yard work to supplement his family's income.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:16 AM
LLN

3,553 posts, read 4,221,872 times
I would not use a company, but rather a local guy. Find a guy already working in the area you live, check with homeowner.

If you do go the company route, do not take what they quote you at face value. I have used three yard companies in my life, one in MD, one in IA, and one in Charlotte. In all three cases, I have ended up paying about 1/2 the original quote.

In the first case, I was quoted a rate, and not trying to negotiate, just in shock, said something like, that is more than double what the people up the street are paying. The guy asked, what are they paying, I think then it was $40 a month, and he said, I will match that.

After that, I have used same approach, and it has worked, nearly immediately. It has been 10 or so years since I have done this, but it worked for me.

Good Luck

Old 03-29-2010, 03:26 PM

17 posts, read 48,782 times
4 years ago, I started out paying $125 per month (annual contract) for mowing, edging, trimming, and blowing about a third of an acre. It went up to $135 per month about 2 years ago. My contract doesn't include seeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte