Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:01 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,269,642 times

Advertisements

We should be able to discuss national issues on a local level.
If you don't care for the thread title, do not click on it.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:20 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,995,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
^^^^You would not make this post if you were following the rights of states to opt out.Clearly, it is a subject that affects the lives of all "locals" including you.
NC, as far as I've heard, is not joining in those frivolous and wasteful lawsuits.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:27 PM

701 posts, read 1,422,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
We should be able to discuss national issues on a local level.
If you don't care for the thread title, do not click on it.
I disagree. There are political forums for this type of discussion.

Otherwise this board will be flooded with political threads that will dilute the utility of this forum. I could easily start a thread like "What does Charlotte think about the Republicans being on the wrong side of history?" or "What does Charlotte think about the Republican party being taken over by far right wingnuts?" or "Who does Charlotte think Sarah Palin's favorite founding father is?" etc. etc. Ain't relevant, ain't appropriate.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:03 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,962,568 times
Just a note for the one who sent me a reputation comment ... don't know who it is

please read:

"Well, hopefully, the end result (one day) will be universal health care so people can live their lives without the constant, nagging worry about how they are going to afford to take care of themselves. We are the ONLY industrialized nation that does not offer universal healthcare and the current quality of our healthcare is below that of Costa Rica...who, by the way, actually offers universal health care. This is a subject very dear to my heart and I truly hope that people wake up and stop being afraid of the change that is GOOD."

NOTE: OUR healthcare ranks BELOW that of Costa Rica, where, as the poster stated, they only pay the doctors minimum wage. Would I care if doctors are paid that? NO, all I would care about is getting quality health care. And, since they appear to be doing a better job than our doctors that are being paid $$$$$$$$$$ more than minimum wage, I find that to be an issue.

http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html

Last edited by chicagocubs; 03-27-2010 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 03-27-2010, 01:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times
When comparing healthcare systems, one must compare more than money spent on procedures . . . one must compare longterm OUTCOMES. Just throwing that into the mix . . .

The poster asked a valid question but has gotten little in the way of replies to his/her question.

The way to gauge how this recently passed legislation will affect Charlotte would be to look at the dollars and cents of it . . . and I don't have that information.

Since folks with a family of four who make up to $96K a year will be able to move into the Medicaid program, there would be a way to estimate how many families may choose to go that route. However, the legislation does not go into effect until 2014, so who knows what MECK's demographics will look like in four years.

It is very valid to ask about how this will affect us at the local level b/c it surely will affect us, as Medicaid is a state program, even tho it accepts federal money.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:45 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,038,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Since folks with a family of four who make up to $96K a year will be able to move into the Medicaid program...
I've read that housholds earning around $29000 - $88000 / year will be required to purchase health insurance and the premiums are capped from 2% - a max at 9.8% of their income. If they don't purchase it they will be issued a penalty/fine from the IRS.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I've read that housholds earning around $29000 - $88000 / year will be required to purchase health insurance and the premiums are capped from 2% - a max at 9.8% of their income. If they don't purchase it they will be issued a penalty/fine from the IRS.
Just b/c you are in the Medicaid program, it doesn't mean you don't pay for anything.

It is true that the IRS regs have been changed with this legislation, as well as the tax code, allowing the IRS to withhold your tax refund up to the amount of the penalty you will be fined for not having healthcare insurance.

In addition, they can have your wages garnished.

The penalties increase annually, so the second year you do not buy insurance, the fine is larger than the fine for the first year.

There is some discrepancy in the cap on Medicaid. I am not sure whether the latest draft of the legislation set it at $88 or $96 but either way . . .that is about 4 x the threshold for Medicaid qualification that has been in place.

One is supposed to be able to file for some tax credits to "offset" the cost of mandated insurance, but the thing is . . . if you don't make enough to have taxes withheld anyway, that tax credit ain't gonna mean a thing to you, lol.

And for anyone saying this is not a local issue - Since Medicaid is a state program, this is, indeed, a local issue. Our tax dollars pay for the Medicaid system, so it does affect all of us right here in Charlotte. And . . . depending on how many folks here in this region sign up for Medicaid, that, too, affects us and how much money will be needed to fund the Medicaid system in NC. More money out of the budget, less money for municipalities, such as Charlotte.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:27 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,038,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just b/c you are in the Medicaid program, it doesn't mean you don't pay for anything.

There is some discrepancy in the cap on Medicaid. I am not sure whether the latest draft of the legislation set it at $88 or $96 but either way . . .that is about 4 x the threshold for Medicaid qualification that has been in place.
That's not my understanding.

"Medicaid will expand to cover people under 133% of the federal poverty level and under the age of 65, which is about $29,000."

"For those making between 133% and 400% of poverty, which is around 88,000 for a family of four, there will be subsidies to help pay premiums and cover cost-sharing expenses. The credits will be designed so that the amount people pay toward premiums is capped at a certain percentage of their income. In the underlying Senate bill, this ranges from 2% for those at the poverty level, to 9.8% for those between 300 and 400%. "

"...you will be able to purchase it through a new state-based exchange that should start up in 2014. These plans will be sold at four levels of richness, ranging from a bronze plan that covers 60% of the benefit costs to a platinum plan that covers 90%. These plans will all cover the essential health benefits, a package that is supposed to include maternity, hospital and prescription coverage, among other areas. They will also have out-of-pocket costs capped at a level tied to health-savings account plans, which this year is $5,950 for an individual and $11,900 for a family."

Health-Care Bill -- How Will It Affect You -- The Wall Street Journal Online

Old 03-27-2010, 03:10 PM

108 posts, read 118,312 times
It is amazing that I have been kicked off of city-data for comments that I have made that weren't supportive of the so called president. So, I keep my mouth closed on the subject. Remember, it is a free country and you can say what you wish just so it is in agreement with liberals. LOL!!

Old 03-27-2010, 03:20 PM

108 posts, read 118,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Just a note for the one who sent me a reputation comment ... don't know who it is

please read:

"Well, hopefully, the end result (one day) will be universal health care so people can live their lives without the constant, nagging worry about how they are going to afford to take care of themselves. We are the ONLY industrialized nation that does not offer universal healthcare and the current quality of our healthcare is below that of Costa Rica...who, by the way, actually offers universal health care. This is a subject very dear to my heart and I truly hope that people wake up and stop being afraid of the change that is GOOD."

NOTE: OUR healthcare ranks BELOW that of Costa Rica, where, as the poster stated, they only pay the doctors minimum wage. Would I care if doctors are paid that? NO, all I would care about is getting quality health care. And, since they appear to be doing a better job than our doctors that are being paid $$$$$$$$$$ more than minimum wage, I find that to be an issue.

The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems
Moderator cut: flaming .Those of us that have worked and contributed to society and paid loads of taxes are not willing to share equally with illegal immigrants and mothers of illigitimate children that sit on their fat rear ends and do nothing but take. To compare the state of health care in the U.S. with that in Costa Rica doesn't make sense. The population there is 4 million, about the size of South Carolina. Also, have you considered demographics. Moderator cut: flaming .

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-27-2010 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte