U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 01:02 PM

8 posts, read 48,039 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what "unlivable conditions" can apply to in a rental agreement. I have complained multiple times about my neighbors being unreasonably loud at late hours and gotten no response. I was forced to call the cops a few weeks ago because the people living above me urinated off their balcony and onto mine. This happened while I was on the balcony and saw it all happen. The office contacted me the next day and told me this behavior was unacceptable........on my part. About two weeks ago, I came home to find my toilet tank broken and my bathroom flooded. I had already notified the office and the maintenance man that the toilet was improperly installed and that the toilet seat kept falling on my boyfriend while he was using the bathroom, almost hurting him a few times. The complex is now charging me to replace the toilet even though I notified them that this was already needing repair. Do these situations qualify as unlivable conditions?

On a related note, I called and got lease breaking information due to my new job being 45 minutes away. The office informed me that in order to credit my deposit back to me, I must pay the full $2000 by move out date. My lease does not state there is a time limit to pay this amount. When I questioned this, the office told me I could make two payments. I am confused because first I was told 30 days, now I am told up to 60 days. Can they decided when I have to pay or do they have to specify in the lease how long I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 02:02 PM

35,885 posts, read 68,191,392 times
The officer was correct. Someone urinating off their balcony may be tacky . . . it may be unsanitary . . . and it may be in opposition of every rule of common decency . . . but it isn't something you call the police about.

As for the toilet seat . . . that has nothing to do with the toilet being improperly installed. Perhaps the toilet seat needed tightening or you needed to buy a new one, but that is a very minor problem. Please describe - "toilet tank broken." I have never heard of a toilet tank being broken (the tank on the back cracking) except in apartments where folks took a sledgehammer to the toilet as an act of vandalism. I don't understand your description of the toilet - w/ the toilet seat falling on your boyfriend. How is that possible? Loose toilet seats can slide but unless one had one's head in the toilet bowl, I can't fathom how the seat could fall on your boyfriend. Not being difficult here - I just don't understand what you are describing and I am thinking your property manager didn't either.

Unlivable would refer to such things as having no running water, rat infestation, or backed up sewer spewing raw sewage on the floor.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:14 PM

gotcha. No the tank was improperly installed in that it was leaning forward and the seat did not have enough room to lean back on the tank to stay up. All i know is i came home from work and the bottom of the tank was cracked. the maintenance man agreed and thought it could be due to stress of leaning improperly. My only issue with the urination is that the leasing office never handled the situation. I was required to sanitize my neighbors porch a few months ago due to my dog peeing on our balcony and I complied. I just do not understand why they did not do the same for me.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:29 PM

Oh - okay - now I can envision what you are talking about. Yes, that doesn't sound like it was put in correctly at all. Did the repairman see it before this last incident when it flooded the bathroom? Will he attest that it was installed improperly? Have they since put another toilet in? Did you pay for the new toilet already?

It would really have been good if you had taken photos of the toilet at an angle that showed the leaning tank. Any chance you did that?

I am gonna give you some advice you might consider . . . calling the cops on your neighbors was not a smart thing to do over someone peeing off the balcony. You have complained about them making noise and evidently someone has complained about your dog - and perhaps there have been other incidents where you or your neighbors have gotten into these little aggravations and been quick to complain.

You are going to end up making everyone angry with you and looking for ways to get even with you for reporting them. And as far as the cops, there may come a time when you really need assistance for something truly dire - and it is gonna be like the kid who cried "wolf" too many times. You see what I am saying?

You may truly live in a poorly run (and badly built) apartment complex. But if you signed a lease, it is not going to be easy to get out of it and if they are already charging you for a toilet, you can bet you won't get your security deposit back. So document everything and take photos. If you should decide to move, take photos b/f you move out and have someone there to verify the date of the photos, b/c you may end up in a really tough situation w/ trying to get your security deposit back.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:33 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,964,578 times
I disagree Ani. I most definitely would call the police and report someone urinating off their balcony. Well, let me change that to "probably" if it was in my neighborhood, but definitely if it was from the balcony above mine and onto my balconey!! Especially if i was on the receiving balcony!!! Are you kidding me? People have gotten killed for less.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:40 PM

The cops told me I did the right thing. The leasing office told me it was unacceptable. But they did not do anything about the incident. I notified them and they ignored me. At this point I would like to know if these situations will help me in a civil case to get out of my lease without having to pay the lease breaking fees. I feel that the leasing office has failed to provide a comfortable and safe living environment for me.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
I disagree Ani. I most definitely would call the police and report someone urinating off their balcony. Well, let me change that to "probably" if it was in my neighborhood, but definitely if it was from the balcony above mine and onto my balconey!! Especially if i was on the receiving balcony!!! Are you kidding me? People have gotten killed for less.
You are gonna call the cops when someone pees on your balcony?

No wonder I can't get a cop to my house in a timely fashion.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleygurl54 View Post
The cops told me I did the right thing. The leasing office told me it was unacceptable. But they did not do anything about the incident. I notified them and they ignored me. At this point I would like to know if these situations will help me in a civil case to get out of my lease without having to pay the lease breaking fees. I feel that the leasing office has failed to provide a comfortable and safe living environment for me.
A comfortable and safe living environment - b/c your neighbors complained when your dog peed on their balcony and the guys above you got drunk and relieved themselves in an indecent manner and your toilet was installed improperly?

No offense, but . . . I gotta ask . . . are you from this region? Cause I have noticed folks that move here are always quick to go the lawsuit or civil court route and that is simply a waste of energy. There are much better ways to handle disputes - like talking to the people who are acting out.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:00 PM

um. considering this has been going on since i moved to this property in august and nothing has been done to handle the constant noise throughout the day. Im not talking about little bumps and knocks. im talking about constant music all day and night long, slamming so loud my ceiling and floor vibrate, dogs parking all night. my grades in school have suffered because i cant concentrate and study when this is going on. this happens at like 3 in the afternoon and stays constant until 3 in the morning for most of the week. i pay my rent on time every month and have complied with any and every request i have been given. i just dont understand why my complaints cannot be addressed.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:02 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,592,668 times
How long do you have on your lease. Maybe you are better off staying there till it runs out. Than paying 2 grand. Any apartment complex will charge you thousands if you break your lease.
Your job is only 45 minutes away, you could commute that for some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or