U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 01:34 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondieisabooknerd View Post
I have to be there because my landlord is insistent that "presence is mandatory" in case he has questions but my issue is, the dog is unauthorized. Will that hurt me when it comes to a quick and easy break or am I taking the chance of her trying to get even and charge me over the top after I'm gone?

Regardless of anything, you're right, someone else will definitely be here with me. My best guy friend is 6'3, 280 and hangs around a lot now because of this whole situation but I don't see why, given the problems I've had with this particular man, that I have to let him in my home at all? If it were another person, fine, but my landlord is refusing to accomodate.
To avoid issues have your friend be with you and find a temp home for the dog for 2 weeks and I would move out this weekend.

Again you don't have to let him in, especially if you are home. Do you have the indoor lock with no key?

When this is resolved, there some things you can do to follow up. First, pick up some buts and put them in a bag. Take a photo or where they were. Be a little CSI. This won't hold up in court per'se for criminal, but you need to get your own work done and build any file. You can also bring a civil case if needed about harrasment to the landlord, you can also name the maint man and leasing lady. DO THIS ONLY AFTER YOU MOVE!. You may not win, heck don't put money into it, but this is your civil rights being violated as well. And you best bet is going far up the change. If they are part of the lenders org (forgot the official name) you can report them to this as well.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:38 PM

339 posts, read 624,422 times
Isn't there any way you can stay with a friend? I would get out now. I would not stay there one second more. Have you checked your bathroom and a/c vents to make sure he isn't recording you taking a shower and undressing? I know that sounds paranoid, but if he's been in your place while you weren't there... It does happen.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:45 PM

187 posts, read 597,997 times
yeah you really need to catch him in the act, but don't catch him by yourself. If he's stalking/watching you it's only a matter of time till he acts on it. If you know his name you can look up to see if he has ever been arrested or has a warrant out for him or something like that. Have you ever confronted him about it? Like when he's driving by your place, run out there and be like "WHAT DO YOU WANT!!"... kinda freak him out a little

Old 03-29-2010, 02:17 PM

5 posts, read 3,519 times
My boyfriend is letting his father and sister stay with him until they find a place (they just moved from NY) but I think I'm going to stay with them anyway until I can officially move. I've already rented a UHaul for the 12th and my early termination is on the 15th so it's not too far off anyway.

Thank y'all so much for your help, I'm going to try your tips and see if I can't find a way to get this guy charged with stalking and harrassment. TRO? Quite possibly. Regardless, he already knows my boyfriend's address and I saw him driving in the complex there once so I'm sure I'll have more updates. At least there, the security is tighter and he can be kicked out.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:27 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,666,916 times
Good Luck.. CD is there with ya.. and lots of these folks are gun owners..

Old 03-29-2010, 02:42 PM

716 posts, read 1,358,010 times
Quote:
I moved into an old, but quaint, townhome complex behind the Arboretum mid-November and I'm already moving out in April because the complex's one maintenance guy has been stalking me. I've sent certified complaint letters to my landlord but she and the guy are the only employees of this particular complex (it's really small) and she doesn't do anything about it. He drives by my house daily, even on weekends when he doesn't work, and has been caught inside my apt when I'm out but can't tell me what he was in there for. "Someone" has been peeping in my downstairs windows, leaving a pile of cigarette butts under my window (he smokes the same brand), and taking out all of my outside patio light bulbs when I leave them on at night. I'm 23 and live alone so this is super creepy but my landlord won't do anything! We're not supposed to have dogs but I keep my boyfriend's small border collie here because I really don't feel safe here alone.

Now, my 6 month inspection is coming up this week and I requested that someone other than him do it but my landlord refused. Do I have to let him in??

You sure do know alot about this maintenance guy. How do you know his work schedule so well? How do you know what brand of cigs he smokes? You moved into your apartment in mid November and your 6 month inspection is now? Don't they inspect them before you move in soo that should make your inspection date closer to mid May. Please don't take this the wrong way but maybe the stalking situation is the other way around?

Old 03-29-2010, 03:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
You sure do know alot about this maintenance guy. How do you know his work schedule so well? How do you know what brand of cigs he smokes? You moved into your apartment in mid November and your 6 month inspection is now? Don't they inspect them before you move in soo that should make your inspection date closer to mid May. Please don't take this the wrong way but maybe the stalking situation is the other way around?
Thanks for taking the other side as I was puzzled over here wondering the same thing
and about every cell phone now has a camera phone
why wasnt this option used
I could maybe give the benefit of the doubt if it was a regular
member but this is a new poster who has yet to provide any of us proof.
I seen plenty of internet trolls on this forum and this fits the classic bill
this is worse than the cupcakes of gold .
that troll went on for five pages

To the OP you have 3 days to show us a picture of this so called inspection or
as moderator the TOS may be enforced
if its true the other posters on here where gracious to give you
advice

why would you choose a relocation forum to do this

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-29-2010 at 03:41 PM..

Old 03-29-2010, 03:19 PM

5 posts, read 3,519 times
Wow, that got weird really quick. I know his schedule because the first two weeks I lived here, he showed up on my doorstep daily to "check in" and see how I was doing, mentioning that he works 8-4 Monday through Friday so flag him down if I needed anything.

And I know his type of cigarettes because when he WOULD show up at my door, he was usually smoking and would drop the butts on my porch or in the bushes nearby when he left. I got used to seeing them because I would have to pick them up all the time.

And no, I don't know why the 6-month inspection is falling so short but like I said before, he was caught in my apartment two months ago citing "inspection for preventative maintenance" so at this point, I never know when or why he's going to be around. I did take pictures of the cigarettes and the empty outside light fixtures but again, the police said since I did not catch him in the act, their hands were tied.

I get CharlotteCharlotte's questions but Sunny, seriously? I'm not a regular because I've never been stalked before and decided to take my situation to the forums to see what my options were. Given that my landlord isn't a big help and this is my first apt alone, there aren't many resources available. And do me a favor, get off your high and mighty act. It's really annoying to people when you throw around empty threats with nothing to back it. I got on here to ask for suggestions and help, if you don't have anything useful to offer, don't post.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
Quote:
Wow, that got weird really quick. I know his schedule because the first two weeks I lived here, he showed up on my doorstep daily to "check in" and see how I was doing, mentioning that he works 8-4 Monday through Friday so flag him down if I needed anything.

And I know his type of cigarettes because when he WOULD show up at my door, he was usually smoking and would drop the butts on my porch or in the bushes nearby when he left. I got used to seeing them because I would have to pick them up all the time.

And no, I don't know why the 6-month inspection is falling so short but like I said before, he was caught in my apartment two months ago citing "inspection for preventative maintenance" so at this point, I never know when or why he's going to be around. I did take pictures of the cigarettes and the empty outside light fixtures but again, the police said since I did not catch him in the act, their hands were tied.

I get CharlotteCharlotte's questions but Sunny, seriously? I'm not a regular because I've never been stalked before and decided to take my situation to the forums to see what my options were. Given that my landlord isn't a big help and this is my first apt alone, there aren't many resources available. And do me a favor, get off your high and mighty act. It's really annoying to people when you throw around empty threats with nothing to back it. I got on here to ask for suggestions and help, if you don't have anything useful to offer, don't post.

YOu havent even told us name of this so called complex
provide us proof, all we have is hear say,
come back with photo documents of the inspection
and ill consider reopening this thread or you may be banned
I would have allow this thread April 1st only

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv191/Beckybert/singsnap/closed.jpg (broken link)
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-29-2010 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte