U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:29 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,191,395 times

Advertisements

Sorry for all those being treated badly. It is such a shame teachers get treated the way they do.

What the heck is going on with all the school systems in this country???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 07:56 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Sorry for all those being treated badly. It is such a shame teachers get treated the way they do.

What the heck is going on with all the school systems in this country???
It is epidemic isn't it? Major public school systems in this country are in major need of reform.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:59 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,691,574 times
Ive said it before and will say it again the principals can do about anything they want and dont need a reason. The action plan which was made to help teachers get up to par is often misused and used as a tool to "justify" getting rid of a teacher. The principals are experts at CYA.. Best bet is to document some trash on the principal and show it to a school board member.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:08 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,191,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It is epidemic isn't it? Major public school systems in this country are in major need of reform.
And I can't believe how fast they are going downhill! What a sad state of affairs for our children.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,015 times
Default Thanks.

Thanks for the info. We have thought about Cabarrus as our oldest child will start kindergarten there this fall.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhagw View Post
So the wife just got put on a action plan along with tons of other teachers at her school. Is there a way to dispute this? She is one of the hardest working teachers at her school and tons of other teachers (who are actually worthless) are probably pals with the principle so they don't get put on action plans.

After reading this article it seems she will be done for in teaching in NC. Being on an action plan she will never get another CMS job and pretty much forget about surrounding counties. She is a first year teacher but one of the best, and this is how she gets treated, pretty ****ty. working from 5am to 11pm and saturdays and sundays....
don't even get my started on how under paid teachers are. But now all this firing of teachers is getting crazy

Gorman pushes principals to put weak teachers on notice - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/02/25/1270334/gorman-pushes-principals-to-put.html?pageNum=1&&&mi_pluck_action=page_nav#Comm ents_Container - broken link)

So GORMAN, I give you a big F*** Y**!!!
I'm in the same boat. What did your wife do??? It's the principal's opinion over yours. He has my whole future in his hands.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:49 PM

305 posts, read 659,117 times
If you are dissatisfied with your evaluation, document, document, document. Put together a file of paperwork that will refute anything you don't agree with. Have copies of your lesson plans and assignments that show you are differentiating; using technology; etc. Keep copies of student work that shows that you are covering diversity or other items on the eval. Keep notes about those occassions during which you are observed. Did the principal or AP stay the entire time they are supposed to? Are they interpreting correctly what they saw while in your classroom?

Evals are stressful under the best of conditions; but they can be hell if you are feeling under a microscope.

Good luck.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:41 AM

985 posts, read 1,649,627 times
Part of the problem is the states and regional schools unable to make the PROPER cuts necessary. We went through this where we last lived and the cuts were much smarter, elimination of some buses (never have I lived anywhere where they had special buses for field trips), cut administration more kids doesn't need to mean more principals...I never heard of one per grade level? WHy does each school have a registrar including the middle shcool? Most places guidance counselors handle that. Guidance counselors per grade...hmmm again you could break up the load by alphabet and keep the teachers.

You could get more kids through the teachers if we had hours (periods) instead of blocks, except at high school level the rate is the same. But you need less if you left blocks out of the middle school. We NEVER had nurses assigned to the school anywhere I lived, they still have a full time nurse in some schools here.

They spend a lot per student here compared to other districts nationwide, they could ask some questions (other states have gone out and surveyed and made the cuts based on that). It doesn't seem to be done other than a general sweep of teaching every single time. I just don't get it.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:24 AM
LLN

4,976 posts, read 8,714,565 times
Back when I was one of those biznis executives, I had pangs of conscious and decided I would go back to teaching. I wrote the now departed Mr Gorman a letter, laying out my prior teaching, and my math and science qualifications, and certifications. I asked to be directed to a decision maker, not a flunky.

At some point, I received a call from some lady with HR. She started talking this and that form, and this and that, and that and this....it was if you could see a whirlpool coming out of the phone, sucking all the energy and enthusiasm for CMS right out of the air.

I was stunned at the incompetence and the utter, stereotypical, bureaucratic nature of the aura this woman projected. It was ingrained deeply.

Fortunately, I came to me senses, and moved elsewhere to teach. Love teaching, have seen NOTHING about CMS since (5 years) to make me regret my decision, one nano-second. Nothing.

I cannot believe they can get anyone to teach in that intellectual hell-hole. God bless all that do!
lln

Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 AM

37 posts, read 47,035 times
I think what's happening is simple politics. Politicians are always going to try to run on a platform of improving schools, but how to do that? One of the biggest problems in modern schools is lack of parental involvement, and accountability by parents and students. But can you just imagine someone running for office on a platform of holding parents accountable for their own kids?? Good luck.

Much easier to put the burden on already overburdened teachers. By the time the voting public realizes that doesn't work, the election cycle is long over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte