U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:05 PM

169 posts, read 280,546 times

Advertisements

Who says LL Cool J is not an NRA member. He carries a weapon on his hit series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 01:14 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Sarah Palin (and no, I am not a big fan) is not coming to Wilkes to teach folks how to avoid pregnancy for god's sake. I wouldn't think that most people could make the leap between the mother of a developmentally challenged kid and the kids who are being helped at Victory Junction - and understand why she would be asked to attend. This is not hard, people.

The money is being raised for various programs that are taking place under the auspices of the organization that is sponsoring the event. Those folks are trying to help girls avoid making life choices that will hold them back from becoming all they can be - such as drugs and teen-aged pregnancy.

Politicians are just that . . . politically engaged human beings who choose to make politics their career. Last time I checked, Palin is no longer making politics her career. We will all see if she falls flat on her face as a TV pundit.

I doubt she will ever run for national office again and I have to say . . . for the sake of the GOP, wh/ is already fragmented enough, I hope she stays on the sidelines. She is polarizing.

As for the NRA - Palin is a hunter and no reason she wouldn't be welcome in any group of hunting enthusiasts.

As for the NRA convention being a right wing gathering . . . I know plenty of people who are liberal as far as social policy and still like their weapons. I really don't see what one has to do with the other.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:14 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,617,883 times
promise I will leave you guys alone after this,
I am not holier than thou , must not have really read my post,
rather what you wanted to read into it. this forum is for debating , right? as in
hearing another point of view?

Palin let her daugthers no good boyfriend live with them, for goodness sake ,obviously without
any birth protection offered, can't for the life of me undertand how that can be a role model to anyone.
to each their own , we all are free to choose our role models.

and I DO hope that she runs for president too, that will
make reelection so much easier for Obama.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
LLN

4,976 posts, read 8,712,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
...Be fun to hear some of her thoughts!
That should not take long!

Old 03-31-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
promise I will leave you guys alone after this,
I am not holier than thou , must not have really read my post,
rather what you wanted to read into it. this forum is for debating , right? as in
hearing another point of view?

Palin let her daugthers no good boyfriend live with them, for goodness sake ,obviously without
any birth protection offered, can't for the life of me undertand how that can be a role model to anyone.
to each their own , we all are free to choose our role models.

and I DO hope that she runs for president too, that will
make reelection so much easier for Obama.
Role model? A mother who is held responsible b/c her daughter was irresponsible? Did you know that over 1/3 of girls in high school either end up having abortions or babies b/f age 18?

So all their mothers are bad role models b/c their daughters had sex?

Wow.

I take it you don't have teens at home.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:28 PM

yes, I do find Palin and her husband irresponsible in regards to their daugther.

role models in the way that mothers should make sure
that their daugthers are aware and using birth control.

being that a lot of people , oh say , Sarah Palin and her political party
PREACHES ABSTINENCE before marriage, seems to me that they should practice
what they preach.
that is the way I was brought up in a liberal, gun shooting household.

I for one would
have made double/triple sure to make it hard for my daugther to have sex.
to have a teenage boy with raging hormones living under my roof would signal approval
of premarital sex to most people.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:34 PM

169 posts, read 280,546 times
Hey, y'all we are degressing again. Kids are kids and how many listen to their parents 100% of the time, just like adults, hey just because so and so got caught, I am smarter then them. People do what's right for them at any given time and suffer the consequences later. Just look at the jails if anyone doubts that statement.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
yes, I do find Palin and her husband irresponsible in regards to their daugther.

role models in the way that mothers should make sure
that their daugthers are aware and using birth control.

being that a lot of people , oh say , Sarah Palin and her political party
PREACHES ABSTINENCE before marriage, seems to me that they should practice
what they preach.
that is the way I was brought up in a liberal, gun shooting household.

I for one would
have made double/triple sure to make it hard for my daugther to have sex.
to have a teenage boy with raging hormones living under my roof would signal approval
of premarital sex to most people.
I am not calling you holier-than-thou, but I can see how others could get that impression. I am not saying you are a hypocrite, either, for saying you would give birth control to your daughters, b/c actually I would think that is wise if one suspected one's daughter were having sex. But I know others could see it differently.

But I would like to state that I find your statement that all Republicans believe in abstinence and not birth control is a distortion that is very insulting to most people out there, b/c that is more a religious belief than one to do with what party one is affiliated with.

I have known people my entire life who are in both parties (and Independents, as well) who teach their children not to have sex before marriage b/c of religious reasons, feeling that it is a sin to have sex outside of marriage. It has nothing to do with politics. Those same folks are not stupid, tho, and realize that teens make foolish decisions and so they make sure their kids know about birth control. It is hard to do both those things and not come off as looking like a hypocrite in a teen's mind. So it is thin line that parents walk.

My point is . . . maybe it makes some people feel very secure to have demonized everyone else around them in hopes that their own decisions will seem more rational or somehow "better" when it comes to kids and sex. But in the end, it really doesn't matter what any of us attempt to instill in our children by either role models, lectures, religious beliefs, value systems, etc. Kids are gonna make their own decisions, and some of them are gonna be bad.

Demonizing the parents b/c of those decisions seems disingenuous, to me.

In addition, I would like to go back to the NRA convention discussion and state that just b/c someone is a gun owner - it doesn't mean he/she is a liberal OR a conservative. Moreover, most folks in this country are somewhere in the middle with their political leanings.

Assuming that only right wing conservatives are interested in guns (or sex, lol) is just plain silly.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:27 PM

Anifani , you are killing me with this. wanna let it go but first you turned it into me
judging all parents of teenage parents , now you are telling me that I demonize these parents.

claiming I insult a lot of people out there, too bad , surely they will survive my opinion.

this started out about one person only, Palin, you brought all other parents to the discussion.
the point is she did not believe in telling her daugther about birth control.that fact might be a big part of why
her daugther got pregnant, well that and that she let the boyfriend sleep over thinking they would just talk at nite.

it is a widely reported fact that the republican party when led by Bush
believed in abstinence only , no sex ed.
when McCain/palin ran they followed party line.

I would never in a million years demand that my children abstain
from sex before marriage.

everybody get back to the convention.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,366,415 times
Great info on the convention. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte