U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-30-2010, 01:44 PM

169 posts, read 189,162 times

Advertisements

It sucks getting laid off. One of my employers laid me off before Christmas one year and with two kids that was tough. It seems that they didn't like my thoughts on donating to United Way, I told them charity starts at home. Months before I either rode my bike or walked the mile and a half because it was rural and didn't have a car so I felt it was important to focus on making my family whole instead of supporting someone who might be a cocuh potato. I hope your company doesn't ********* over because you paid into the fund through your benefits. Goog luck!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 01:53 PM

1,852 posts, read 3,402,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
I was let go because my position was being eliminated. On my last day on the job I was given a brown paper bag that contained a snickers bar and my severance check. I then immediately went to the bank and cashed the severance check and then when I got home I filed online for UI benefits. I was actually approved the next day and was able to file my first week I was off with no breaks in my pay.
Usually larger companies plan for this. It saves them money to pre-file. And so your claim was already on record to some extent. I.E. if the Bank if laying off 500 people they would put data in the system with the names and no contesting the claim. Thus quicker.

To the OP. If they do FIRE you, you can do a couple things. Forget unemployement for the moment and start your documentation. Depending on how big the company is, you need to "defend" yourself. Even attendence issues alone are not always fireable, depending on the situation. I.E. are you late, do you not show up, do you call. There is generally a probation period, etc. As you weren't comitting a crime, a few tardies don't mean automatic firing. This of course is not always the case, certain jobs require people to be on time more than others. But I would look into FMLA and see what policies your company has. Also talk to you the HR manager or contact and let them know you are having issues. Get ahead of the game. Make it hard for them to fire you. I don't know you issues, but if they are legit, some companies don't want the PR nightmare that could follow.

Lastly, start looking... Unless you are so valuable, you are already damaged goods. Hard to earn back certain levels of respect.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: