Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:55 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,786,598 times

Advertisements

There is a Phoenix section on this board. They could probably give you some in depth answers to your questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 11:56 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,419,348 times
While you're still in Fort Wayne, deciding where to go, here's some things for you to do. Welcome to Fort Wayne | Visit Fort Wayne .

It's also not far for you to go to a Lake Michigan beach.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,194,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcookie View Post
Sigh. Wow. I'm glad I asked. Pollen that covers cars and decks? That's awful. Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate you all's honesty.

Sunny Kayak,
Thanks! Have you ever lived in Phoenix? How do you know this is a better choice (allergies)?
As I have lived all over the country including Phoenix and now Charlotte. Phoenix is more urban and generally has less allergy sufferers. But Phoenix has changed and has lots of golf courses, and imported plants. But not all allergies are the same, I actually do better here, than Phoenix, but Illinois was much worse. If you know what specific allergies he has (i.e. tested if they are that bad) you can do more specific research.

As for the rest, read the board, Charlotte is a medium size city and has all the good and bad that comes with that.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:41 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,793,566 times
Wouldn't it have to be posted on April 1st, though?

Old 04-01-2010, 09:57 AM

66 posts, read 201,299 times
People, okay okay. Chill. It never ceases to amaze me how people get so offended when one says something negative about the city they live in. One is talking about the city not you. Dang. Although a lot of the negativity and sarcasm was unnecessary, I still appreciate the replies because you answered the question nonetheless.

From what I can tell I love Charlotte. I posed questions about what I HEARD not what I personally THOUGHT. I'd rather ask than to not and move there and be surprised. Ugh. I hope your attitudes aren't the general attitudes I can expect from people in Charlotte.

Whytewolf, thanks. I was starting to give up hope! lol. He has a doctor appointment tommorrow and I plan to have him allergy tested then.

Thanks Southbound for the link and thank you to everyone else that had something kind and helpful to say regardless of what your personal thoughts about my op were.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:03 AM

108 posts, read 117,929 times
[quote=pbcookie;13541565]I'm thinking about moving to Charlotte, but before I do I want to ask some questions. I have a few concerns just from what I've been reading. So if anyone could please help with your experience or knowledge, I'd appreciate it. First off, my son has extremely bad allergic reactions to pollen. He almost died when we lived in Virginia because of the trees and pollen surrounding his school playground and had to get a shot to make him breathe again. I heard Charlotte is worse. Is this true? Because if it is there'd be no point in me moving there.

Is Charlotte "country"? It's pretty close to Durham and I know imho that Durham is country. How would you compare Charlotte? I currently live in the Midwest and I hate it here! On top of the weather, the people tend to be slow and closeminded and too comfortable with life-as-is. There's nothing wrong with contentment, but if you're life sucks, I don't believe in keeping it that way just because.

I heard Charlotte was slow-paced and has a high obese population. Nothing wrong with that, but usually when there's a lot of people that aren't health-conscious, it's a sign that they are lax in other areas of life as well. Such as what I described above about the Midwest.

I plan to attend UNC-Charlotte. I heard this school was ghetto, the academics were lackluster, and it's in a dangerous area. Is this true? Has anyone recently, or does anyone attend school there? What's your opinion about UNCC?

Next, cost of living. From what I see housing is pretty cheap which is great. Do most apartments have washers and dryers in them, or just hookups? Are electric bills high? What's your average electric bill every month and please tell me the size of your home. What about jobs? Are the plentiful? I don't mind working a part time job while in school. How bad is the economy there? Would you say it's relatively easy for a single mother to prosper there working and being in school?

Lastly, things to do. I've seen the Charlotte website. Looks great, but I'm wondering if there's more to do. Another reason I hate where I live is there is NOTHING to do. The same plays at the same theatre which is the only one in town. Festival of lights during Christmas, a few chain restaurants (and not even really good ones), two movie theatres . . . you get the point. What kinds of things do you do for amusement or when you're bored. Parks, sports, beaches, city events, festivals . .. ? Anything? Would you say there is a lot to do there? Is Charlotte a good place to have fun if you want, is it upbeat yet still a good place to raise a family?

Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-01-2010 at 10:48 AM..

Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,252,507 times
pbcookie Im sorry you had to edure all that members on here can be rude As a moderator
Im trying hard to crack down on rudeness. Feel free to report bad posts and Ill enforce
the terms of service on those members. Calling members a troll is a personal attack & that what they did
You had a legitimate relocation concern and
dont let a few members on this forum discourage you. Charlotte can be great it has
alot of activities for adults & kids and maybe with the right meds your son will be ok
Check this forum in April or May and Ill post pictures of the upcoming pollen
Its a sight to see
Wish you the best
;
;
;

;

Old 04-01-2010, 10:29 AM

108 posts, read 117,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcookie View Post
People, okay okay. Chill. It never ceases to amaze me how people get so offended when one says something negative about the city they live in. One is talking about the city not you.
Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-01-2010 at 10:49 AM..

Old 04-01-2010, 10:31 AM

Thanks Sunny.

Just to clarify, Arthur, everything I got came from people living in Charlotte. Surprised? I just read posts about Charlotte on this forum and also I went to a site where students can review colleges and UNCC was not great. So I decided to create my own thread asking for verification about what I've read in the Charlotte forum and the college review site since they're were soooo many complaints, I looked into to make sure it was just that: complaining. I don't have any friends living in Charlotte or that have ever been there.

Since you said yourself that I asked an ambiguous question, then why would you even comment without knowing what I was asking?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:37 AM

Arthur, Ugh. I am not even wasting my energy responding to that. Unless someone is contributing to the original topic, do not expect a response from me. If you post anything else, I'll know you're just doing it for yourself which is pretty sad, because I won't be paying attention to it. It'll be like talking at a table with someone and they get up and walk out in the middle of your sentence. You continue to talk for a half hour knowing they're long gone because you want to finish saying what you were saying. How pathetic. Last response from me so don't even bother writing anything back. I'll see it came from you and won't even read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte