U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-22-2010, 03:26 PM

4 posts, read 3,458 times

Advertisements

Just moved here from NY a few months ago and though I am a seasonal allergy sufferer, this year has been the worst. When I went to get checked out by an allergist, he told me that Charlotte was the 3rd worst city in the US to live for seasonal allergy sufferers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 03:50 PM

191 posts, read 244,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcookie View Post
Sigh. Wow. I'm glad I asked. Pollen that covers cars and decks? That's awful. Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate you all's honesty.

Sunny Kayak,
Thanks! Have you ever lived in Phoenix? How do you know this is a better choice (allergies)?

I beg your pardon, but you are worried about ignorance, and yet you are looking for advice about where your child's asthma will be better on a msg board??? I would google , on a medical site, what exactly your child suffers, and get a little more literate on that subject. Seriously, anything south of the mason Dixon line is FULL of allergens as we have a longer growing season.

Perhaps before knocking others lack of knowledge, you should educate yourself? I applaud that it looks like this is exactly what you are trying to do. After 20 yrs of nursing, and having a child myself with pediatric asthma, ( he grew out of it and is now in the USN), I would look at colorado, new mexico, and maybe southern Utah. In fact, if memory serves, there is a huge respiratory research center just outside of Denver.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:06 PM

66 posts, read 150,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
I beg your pardon, but you are worried about ignorance, and yet you are looking for advice about where your child's asthma will be better on a msg board??? . . .

Perhaps before knocking others lack of knowledge, you should educate yourself? I applaud that it looks like this is exactly what you are trying to do. . .
Hmm. I must have struck a nerve with you. You know what they say, if there's a pack of dogs in the room and one turns the lights off and throws a rock. No one would know you got hit unless you howl.

By the way, those two statements you wrote sound a bit contradictory don't you think? Or maybe you were just being sarcastic. But then again . . . pack of dogs . .. dark room.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:05 PM

3,117 posts, read 3,815,643 times
I've never heard that saying, but it doesn't make any sense in this case. Also, how would a dog turn the lights off?

Old 05-09-2010, 04:14 PM

3,117 posts, read 3,815,643 times
Oh, wait, were you trying to use the saying "Throw a rock into a pack of dogs and the one that yelps is the one that was hit"? LPNerd even admitted that she is in a similar situation with her child, so again, this doesn't work here.

I've noticed you using little sayings a few times on the boards. Are you trying to relate to us as Southerners, or just going for a laugh?

Old 05-09-2010, 04:22 PM

70 posts, read 134,699 times
Do you know anyone who's in Charlotte? If so, maybe you can schedule a visit. It's a good idea to make a visit first.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,121 times
Phoenix has citrus pollen in the spring which can knock ya down - especially grapefruit. And with summer highs of 115+ consider $1,000+ electric bills for an average house...and no, you cannot survive that kinda heat without AC. On the plus side, humidity is about 5%, except in the summers when it can reach 70-80% or more during monsoon season. AZ is a RTW (Right-to-Work) state, like all of the South. Plan on 50% of your normal income there, and employers rarely offer benefits; if the listing says "benefits after 90 days" that's an 89-day job.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:50 PM

8 posts, read 18,274 times
Charlotte is the largest metropolitan area in North Carolina. As such there is great diversity. You will find everything negative that you mentioned...as well as everything positive that you mentioned in Charlotte. In a nutshell, Charlotte will be what you make it. What it becomes to you will depend on who you hang with.
As for allergies....don't move here if you are concerned with that ....Ozone levels rise in the summer and the pollen is very high when we have a wet season like we did this year. Areas with lots of trees and other vegetation generally do generate high levels of pollen. I would do research on Asthsma as one of the other replies suggested and go from there as to where to move. But any place you live is what you make of it.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,056 times
I have had the pleasure of having been to over 100 U.S. cities (I lost count after that number). I have also lived in Charlotte, and am from the Southwestern U.S. (Blythe, Ca). I compare both sides of the country based on my experiences, since I lived in NC for over 11 years and the southwest U.S. for 19. I would say that even though I LOVED Charlotte, it is not a good place to deal with allergies. The poster who commented on the pollen was correct. I would recommend looking into how much agriculture is around the city you choose as well, because this can have an effect regardless of climate. I agree with whoever it was that recommended Phoenix, as I have had great experiences there, though I don't know if it's good for people with allergies.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:42 PM

308 posts, read 328,595 times
I am a newcomer to Charlotte. It is a very nice city with anything you want. Pollen is bad depending on what one is allergic to. You get to the questions about racism and religion. That is where it looks like trolling. Charlotte has a population of 2 million. Some people are racist, some aren't.It is pretty hard to put that many people into a category. You will likely not see a lynching or a stoning on any regular basis around. Religions from all over the world are represented. If that is a problem, you may want to reconsider coming here. As one newcomer to another, while it is perfect here for me, I don't thing you will appreciate the city. Charlotte is neither "Paradise or Disaster" in my book. But, it certainly suits my Limey tastes. Overally suggestion, do some research on other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte