U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 07:46 AM

76 posts, read 123,677 times

Advertisements

As others have alluded to this is about the money for CHP for the developer etc. They don't care about anyone that has invested in Ayrsley. Howard gets up and makes you think you don't stand a chance against stopping this because it is a done deal. Maybe you folks take a lesson out of another communities playbook and start picketing over where the people that actually work for a living buy homes. I would be out at the entrances every day with signs asking Foxx whats your plan? The builders will put pressure on Tommy boy when no one is interested in buying a home in Ayrsley. Again it might have been different if you folks new about this type of "workforce housing" prior to your purchase but to dump it on you because the market has slowed and the developer is cashing out is BS. If you don't get organized and organized quick Ayrsley you won't stand a chance. There are way to many areas of the city where housing should or could go but to lump it together has been proven not to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,463,384 times
Here is an interesting detail:

The land on which this development is being built was originally slated in the development plan to be game / practice fields for the Steele Creek YMCA. That land is no longer going to be used by the YMCA, but, instead, for the CMHP project. David Howard is on the board of the Steele Creek YMCA, and is a VP for CMHP, and the waiver to build the project there will be voted on by the council on which David Howard is a member (although he will recuse himself from the vote).

Hm....multiple conflicts of interest there?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:13 AM

Howard is all about him all the time BTW prior to being a council member he was on the planning board

Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 AM

33 posts, read 41,356 times
I think the biggest issue you guys in Arysley will have is CHP already owns the land and can pretty much do what they want with it. In Ballantyne, the land was owned by a developer that had some sketchy partnerships with ex-members of CHA... also, Arysley has a prime location for a residence like this because of its proximaty to 485 and bus line, so you won't have the same arguments that we did in Ballantyne.

You have a tough battle, but good luck. We fought hard in Ballantye and it was worth it.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:24 AM

6,961 posts, read 12,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Housing Partnership plans to build
90 low-income apartments in the Ayrsley community with the help of a
million-dollar donation.

Here is a link to the article in the Charlotte Business Journal -

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2010/03/22/story6.html

There will be a 'Housing Partnership' meeting where residents can indicate their opposition to the plan to build low income housing in the YMCA practice fields in Ayrsley. The meeting is scheduled to be held at:

Hilton Garden Inn at Ayrsley
Tuesday, 04/06/2010 (April 6th)
:30 pm
I could not bring this article up to read for whatever reason. Is this housing for mixed ages or is it senior housing?

If it is mixed ages I can understand peoples concerns, and some of those concerns are justified at times all over the country. However sometimes these mixed age communities do work out well.

I think though when these housing develpments are age restricted they fit a huge need. I don't think seniors bring a threat to a community. Many seniors in this country, are grouped into this low income category thru gov't regulations on income. Many are restricted by the gov't to earn only so much money beyond their pension, until age 66 and that age is being increased. The current figure is only $14,000 a year in earnings.

Are there numerous 55 and over Senior Income Restricted Housing options in the Charlotte area?

Old 04-08-2010, 09:49 AM

8,722 posts, read 7,937,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan2980 View Post
I think the biggest issue you guys in Arysley will have is CHP already owns the land and can pretty much do what they want with it. In Ballantyne, the land was owned by a developer that had some sketchy partnerships with ex-members of CHA... also, Arysley has a prime location for a residence like this because of its proximaty to 485 and bus line, so you won't have the same arguments that we did in Ballantyne.

You have a tough battle, but good luck. We fought hard in Ballantye and it was worth it.
Uh, wrong. They do own the land, that's true. However, they REQUIRE permission from the City Council in order to proceed with the low-income housing project.

@Jimrob - There has been no mention of this being a senior community, no.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 PM

33 posts, read 41,356 times
Um, I wasn't wrong in my comments... i was stated its HARDER to overcome this proposed project because CHP already owns the land, as compared to Ballantyne where they did not... I know they require permission, but they don't have to jump through the hoops of rezoning and purchasing the land was MY point.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:12 PM

8,722 posts, read 7,937,168 times
Sorry, I guess I misinterpreted "...already owns the land and can pretty much do what they want with it..."

Old 04-08-2010, 06:04 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,463,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan2980 View Post
Um, I wasn't wrong in my comments... i was stated its HARDER to overcome this proposed project because CHP already owns the land, as compared to Ballantyne where they did not... I know they require permission, but they don't have to jump through the hoops of rezoning and purchasing the land was MY point.
It will be HARD to overcome this proposal because there has already been something shady going on with David Howard sitting on the boards of both the Steele Creek YMCA (for whom the land was initially supposed to be used) and the CMHP, to whom the land was eventually sold.

Also, although Councilman Howard has recused himself from the vote to grant a waiver to the current city housing policy (which has five criteria which prohibit the building of such a structure, of which Ayrsley meet three - only one needs to be met per city policy), Councilwoman Burgess will be voting on this matter, and she has been on the board of the CHMP until recently.

If the waiver to build this project is granted, it will be obvious that this has less to do with helping the working poor of this city (which is a nice argument) and more to do with backroom deals and favoritism among members of the City Council.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:04 PM

Hmmm Howard on the board at Steele Creek YMCA, VP of the CMHP and sits on the Charlotte City council. This really doesn't pass the smell test. I can all but guarantee you that although the CMHP may own the land on paper it is contingent on them being allowed to build the "workforce housing" if they can't I guarantee you the deal would be voided. I would also get a petition with all the homeowners signed and let Tommy know you will look into suing him for non disclosure/breach of contract The developer sold you on ymca fields not workforce housing. I would bet not 1 person would have bought in Ayrsley knowing the developer was going to change the game plan If CMHP actually owns the land you should be able to find out. We were told the same thing last year and we were able to stop it.

In front of the city council you need to argue this logically and not illogical. You can not put down the type of housing nor can you use crime as the reasons not to build but valid points as to why they shouldn't like 1/2 mile within present housing. Turner again says he is on your side get him to talk about the disproportionate amount of low income/ workforce housing in District 3 is more than twice that of any other district. Ask the Mayor what is their housing plan.

BTW Soxfan I am also a soxfan and the big difference between Ballantyne and Ayrsley is one was the Charlotte Housing Authority (government) and the other is the Charlotte Housing Partnership (a non profit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or