U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 09:46 AM

19 posts, read 42,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.bonze View Post
an example of the Section 8 failure
American Murder Mystery - Magazine - The Atlantic
I lived this back in Miami, in the 80s and worked at one of the Trauma Centers during the riots, the cocaine cowboys, and the title then of Miami being #1 crime central. It was my deciding factor in moving away and I chose the then quiet and mundane (1986) Charlotte, NC. I ended up working in Gaston Co. and living in Mint Hill...two opposite ends of the rainbow back then. As a Miami transplant, I could see far ahead into what was coming with the "BIG banking" changes in Charlotte, and did as much work in Community Watches as I could. I'd seen this all happen in Miami, and by gosh, it's happened again in Charlotte! I've been able to skirt around it by renting and keeping my only son, now a Senior at Porter Ridge HS, in Union County Schools most of his life.
Don't get me wrong. Life isn't as dismal as I may sound. Banking and the same changes that created 'urban sprawl' ALSO brought the kids of the same people of influence into this area, and look at UNCC (among many other things in Charlotte) today! If you haven't been over there in the past 10 yrs, GO...it's absolutely changed for the better and is now getting a football team! So, money also brought good to this area. I'm thrilled that my son will attend UNCC, and will be a part of the 9er Nation family.
I think, the important part of this message, is that you have to BE INVOLVED in your community. You can't just sit back and watch it on the evening news and hope that you are not in 'that area' where things bad happen. If you are not a part of, or don't have a Community Watch, START one! The police will absolutely help you and I've found I know more about what is going on IN the community (not just my very neighborhood) as a whole by networking with the people in my Community Watch. Meeting once a month, we do more than talk about the bad happenings, we share what we have heard at jobs, on the internet, at work meetings at some of the largest companies and often we get a heads up as to what is coming down the pike way before it's happening.
Again, thanks for the interesting article. I figured that is why Memphis has been added to The First 48 on AETV...along with Miami's never ending stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 07:33 PM

841 posts, read 1,237,664 times
I think I got lost in the point you're trying to make about affordable housing in Ayrsley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxluvr View Post
I lived this back in Miami, in the 80s and worked at one of the Trauma Centers during the riots, the cocaine cowboys, and the title then of Miami being #1 crime central. It was my deciding factor in moving away and I chose the then quiet and mundane (1986) Charlotte, NC. I ended up working in Gaston Co. and living in Mint Hill...two opposite ends of the rainbow back then. As a Miami transplant, I could see far ahead into what was coming with the "BIG banking" changes in Charlotte, and did as much work in Community Watches as I could. I'd seen this all happen in Miami, and by gosh, it's happened again in Charlotte! I've been able to skirt around it by renting and keeping my only son, now a Senior at Porter Ridge HS, in Union County Schools most of his life.
Don't get me wrong. Life isn't as dismal as I may sound. Banking and the same changes that created 'urban sprawl' ALSO brought the kids of the same people of influence into this area, and look at UNCC (among many other things in Charlotte) today! If you haven't been over there in the past 10 yrs, GO...it's absolutely changed for the better and is now getting a football team! So, money also brought good to this area. I'm thrilled that my son will attend UNCC, and will be a part of the 9er Nation family.
I think, the important part of this message, is that you have to BE INVOLVED in your community. You can't just sit back and watch it on the evening news and hope that you are not in 'that area' where things bad happen. If you are not a part of, or don't have a Community Watch, START one! The police will absolutely help you and I've found I know more about what is going on IN the community (not just my very neighborhood) as a whole by networking with the people in my Community Watch. Meeting once a month, we do more than talk about the bad happenings, we share what we have heard at jobs, on the internet, at work meetings at some of the largest companies and often we get a heads up as to what is coming down the pike way before it's happening.
Again, thanks for the interesting article. I figured that is why Memphis has been added to The First 48 on AETV...along with Miami's never ending stories.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
Default Ayrsley community hires attorney to fight affordable housing plan

Neighborhood leaders in the Ayrsley community say they've hired an attorney to fight a plan by the city to build affordable housing.

Ayrsley community hires attorney to fight affordable housing plan - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-

;
;

;
;
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 04-26-2010, 10:46 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,130,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Neighborhood leaders in the Ayrsley community say they've hired an attorney to fight a plan by the city to build affordable housing.

Ayrsley community hires attorney to fight affordable housing plan - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC-

;
;

;
;
That is one of the most poorly written articles I have ever read. I sincerely hope the person who wrote it is only on the news and doesn't normally write.

I am happy to see that Ayrsley has hired an attorney.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:52 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,875,270 times
I too am very excited that they have hired an attorney. I hope to continue to hear more about how this situation plays itself out.

Pls keep posting updates.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:32 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

;
;

;
;
This was the press release:

The residents in the Ayrsley section of Charlotte have retained the services of Poyner Spruill attorney, Jerry Meek.

Mr. Meek attended Duke University, where he graduated magna [c um] laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Duke, double majoring in Economics and Political Science. Meek then won a fellowship to study at the University of Notre Dame, where he completed a Masters degree in Government. In the fall of 1995, Meek returned to North Carolina to attend Duke Law School, completing his law degree in 1997.

While in college, Meek served as a precinct Chair in the Cumberland County Democratic Party and as an officer in the 7th Congressional District Democratic Party. At age 25, Meek was elected Chairman of the Cumberland County Democratic Party, an office he held while commuting from Fayetteville to Durham to attend Duke Law School.

In February 2003, Meek was elected First Vice Chair of the North Carolina Democratic Party. In February 2005, he was elected Chair of the North Carolina Democratic Party and was unanimously re-elected to another 2-year term in January 2007. He retired as party chair in 2009.

At this time, Mr. Meek is a partner with Poyner Spruill, LLP working out of the Charlotte and Raleigh offices. Portions of the funding were contributed by two established homeowners associations in Ayrsley. Additional donations came from a grass roots campaign of private donations in the area, the majority of which came from residents who are part of communities that are too underdeveloped to have the HOA’s in homeowner control at this time.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:36 PM

Residents in Ayrsley have formed a Political Action Committee.

Ayrsley Fairness Action Committee | Facebook

Old 05-27-2010, 06:05 AM

104 posts, read 158,617 times
So June 14 is the big day for trying to vote down the waiver, right?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteBound88 View Post
So June 14 is the big day for trying to vote down the waiver, right?
That is what the current agenda states.

However, the Council was supposed to discuss the current housing plan in general at their meeting this past Monday. It is quite possible that, come September, they may change their policy in regards to the criteria that spell out conditions where such developments can / cannot be built. So even if the waiver is voted down in June, it may become a moot point in the near future.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:44 AM

Fred Dodson, JR of the CMHP recently issued a statement that the CMHP had no knowledge that the land on which the proposed Westinghouse Apartments would be built was previously slated for use as practice fields by the Steele Creek YMCA. I find that interesting, considering that Councilman David Howard serves as serves as both the Vice President of Special Projects and Community Affairs of The Housing Partnership, and as a board member of the Steele Creek YMCA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or