U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 11:27 AM

4,677 posts, read 8,028,531 times

Advertisements

Is the assumption that if they build the houses that the area will no longer be nice? Or am I misinterpreting the statements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 11:37 AM

21,854 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Is the assumption that if they build the houses that the area will no longer be nice? Or am I misinterpreting the statements?
This development would violate a city zoning code & is not in accordance with HUD policy which is mixed income housing. This is another example of violating existing laws & policies to line the pocket of a builder or two.

The Ballantyne project was halted when it came to light that there were dirty backroom deals behind it. Considering that this project is also not following the laws & policies, how far do you think that people will have to dig to find the dirty deals behind it?

That's how I interpret this thread. I did not get your interpretation at all.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 AM

9,567 posts, read 26,982,881 times
This is an interesting thread. So am I to assume poor people are not welcome in Charlotte? Or is that they are welcomed as long as they are concentrated in an area where the rest general population wouln't be forced to suffer their presence?

That is the impression I get from the majority of posts in the last 8 pages of responses, although I'm sure some will continue the weak arguement that the outrage is limited to issues of zoning and ordinances.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
This development would violate a city zoning code & is not in accordance with HUD policy which is mixed income housing. This is another example of violating existing laws & policies to line the pocket of a builder or two.

The Ballantyne project was halted when it came to light that there were dirty backroom deals behind it. Considering that this project is also not following the laws & policies, how far do you think that people will have to dig to find the dirty deals behind it?

That's how I interpret this thread. I did not get your interpretation at all.
My interpretation is that anytime low-income housing is brought up the discussion directly alludes to crime and how much of a blight it will be to the community. Read the thread and you'll see my interpretation is not that far off.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:46 AM

983 posts, read 1,360,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
This is an interesting thread. So am I to assume poor people are not welcome in Charlotte? Or is that they are welcomed as long as they are concentrated in an area where the rest general population wouln't be forced to suffer their presence?

That is the impression I get from the majority of posts in the last 8 pages of responses, although I'm sure some will continue the weak arguement that the outrage is limited to issues of zoning and ordinances.
I get a lot of that as well, but there are very sensible posters like hooligan that clearly outline the worry:

From studies and experience, you can expect SOME of them to commit criminal acts. Crime lowers the area's desirability and property values. No one likes to see a crime hike in his neighborhood.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
I get a lot of that as well, but there are very sensible posters like hooligan that clearly outline the worry:

From studies and experience, you can expect SOME of them to commit criminal acts. Crime lowers the area's desirability and property values. No one likes to see a crime hike in his neighborhood.
It's a good thing people that make higher incomes don't commit crimes. but wait, haven't we seen that in Charlotte as well?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:51 AM

21,854 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
My interpretation is that anytime low-income housing is brought up the discussion directly alludes to crime and how much of a blight it will be to the community. Read the thread and you'll see my interpretation is not that far off.
I read it. I told you my interpretation. You are welcome to your interpretation, but I am entitled to mine as well.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I read it. I told you my interpretation. You are welcome to your interpretation, but I am entitled to mine as well.
Indeed you are, I see and understand where you're coming from and I have no quam with it.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:20 PM

8,723 posts, read 7,925,436 times
adavi, where do you live? Did you miss the part where I posted that THERE IS ALREADY more than 24 units of low-income housing within a half-mile of the proposed building site? THAT is the ordinance violation and THAT is what the CHA is trying to get the City Council to waive.

My point is simply this - that ordinance was enacted because people felt it was important. Why should this proposed development not have to follow the rules that EVERY other builder/developer has had to?

Old 04-06-2010, 12:47 PM

9,567 posts, read 26,982,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
adavi, where do you live? Did you miss the part where I posted that THERE IS ALREADY more than 24 units of low-income housing within a half-mile of the proposed building site? THAT is the ordinance violation and THAT is what the CHA is trying to get the City Council to waive.

My point is simply this - that ordinance was enacted because people felt it was important. Why should this proposed development not have to follow the rules that EVERY other builder/developer has had to?
Yes, but anybody who has attended even one city council or planning commission meeting knows numerous ordinance variance requests are regularly submitted and granted each month (for things like variances to set backs requirements, density restrictions, zoning changes from residential to commercial ect...).

Weren't those other ordinances enacted because somebody felt they were important too? Yet people don't always come out in droves to contest variances to them. And yet this particular request garners so much more opposition than other variance requests. Doesn't that strike you as odd?

The outrage here isn't really about ordinances and zoning laws and and how important it is to not waiver from them. That is a red herring arguement at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or