Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 01:05 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times

Advertisements

Nobody said the outrage was due to zoning laws. That's just one angle to argue from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 01:06 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
adavi, where do you live? Did you miss the part where I posted that THERE IS ALREADY more than 24 units of low-income housing within a half-mile of the proposed building site? THAT is the ordinance violation and THAT is what the CHA is trying to get the City Council to waive.

My point is simply this - that ordinance was enacted because people felt it was important. Why should this proposed development not have to follow the rules that EVERY other builder/developer has had to?
I live in Concord and also off of Scaleybark, depends on which parent I am staying with. I see what you're saying, but like North Raleigh said, you and I know city ordinances and zoning are changed all the time. Only in more affluent areas does it actually work to contend the changes.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:07 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
My assumption would be that is because it stands to affect a much larger # of people than a simple variance for getting a fence installed?

I made no bones about my contention and opposition to this going forward, read my posts. I will not apologize for it. There is a long track record of low-income housing dropping property values and increasing crime in the areas where they are built. I've worked/continue to work hard to have a nice home in a good, safe neighborhood and I will oppose ANYTHING that stands to threaten my property values or the safety and quality of my neighborhood.

Low-income housing isn't a guarantee of crime and lower property values, but historical data shows that the probability is there. I refuse to play against the odds with my money and my family's safety. I'm not sure how anyone can disagree with that?

Old 04-06-2010, 01:24 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
My assumption would be that is because it stands to affect a much larger # of people than a simple variance for getting a fence installed?

I made no bones about my contention and opposition to this going forward, read my posts. I will not apologize for it. There is a long track record of low-income housing dropping property values and increasing crime in the areas where they are built. I've worked/continue to work hard to have a nice home in a good, safe neighborhood and I will oppose ANYTHING that stands to threaten my property values or the safety and quality of my neighborhood.

Low-income housing isn't a guarantee of crime and lower property values, but historical data shows that the probability is there. I refuse to play against the odds with my money and my family's safety. I'm not sure how anyone can disagree with that?

Right, I'm not expecting you to apologize. Like a previous poster already mentioned, the zoning / oridinance arguement is a strategy, plain and simple. It's a convenient arguement to make, even if it lacks substance. I'm just saying that people claiming that ordinance continuity is the reason why they are fighting this are being a tad disingenuous. You make it clear why you are opposed but the arguement that ordinances are "important" kind of gets back to the red herring arguement again. That's all.

I'd be interested to hear how the meeting goes tonight. Hopefully it will remain civil!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:26 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
I've been steering clear of this one since I don't have a dog in this race but someone just posted a comment on the Observer site in reference to an article about this that underscored exactly what I've been thinking all along. I've been to Ayrsley and the shopping center/movie theaters are very nice. The townhomes (apartments?) above are attractive. The Ryan Homes townhouses behind it look okay (but don't get me started on the environmental issues surrounding heating and cooling a 4-story townhouse). What I don't get is why someone would choose to live at South and Westinghouse, across from a printing plant, and have issues with low income housing nearby. Thoughts?

Old 04-06-2010, 01:35 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
chuckles, they are 3 story townhomes, not 4 story. So, what you're implying is that it's a crappy place to live, so why should we expect anything better than low-income housing? Is that it?

My wife and I chose to live here because it is convenient to get places (485 and 77 both right there) and it is a "walkable" neighborhood in that we can walk to restaurants/shops/the theater.

What's wrong with the location? In hindsight, perhaps we should have bought a townhome in Ballantyne and then sat in our cars for hours trying to get to/from home with all the other commuters. That would have been much better for the environment, eh?

@Raleigh_Guy - I don't believe it is a red herring. This zoning ordinance was enacted, from what I've read, to PREVENT low-income housing to be concentrated in a single area - for the good of the people on both sides of the equation. What that prevents, in my mind, is having the majority of low-income housing for a given area all located in roughly the same place. That flies in the face of the whole "mixed-income" initiative, doesn't it? The idea is NOT to segregate low-income housing from the rest. That is precisely what that ordinance is meant to prevent, isn't it? The half-mile radius would prevent all of the low-income housing to be built in a single, centralized location.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
@Raleigh_Guy - I don't believe it is a red herring. This zoning ordinance was enacted, from what I've read, to PREVENT low-income housing to be concentrated in a single area - for the good of the people on both sides of the equation. What that prevents, in my mind, is having the majority of low-income housing for a given area all located in roughly the same place. That flies in the face of the whole "mixed-income" initiative, doesn't it? The idea is NOT to segregate low-income housing from the rest. That is precisely what that ordinance is meant to prevent, isn't it? The half-mile radius would prevent all of the low-income housing to be built in a single, centralized location.
You make a valid point, but the ordinance coupled with the NIMBY mindset creates an interesting situation. I mean if the low income developments were more like 3/4 of a mile apart or even if the 1/2 mile radius ordinance didn't even exists I'm sure people would still come out enmass tonight in opposition to this project (some may say otherwise but I think we all know this is true). They just wouldn't be able to hide behind the ordinance in doing so. Hence it is not the real issue.

Just ask the next community that fights this proposed development when you defeat them and they try to move to another site a little further down the road outside of the 1/2 mile radius provision.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:01 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Right, I'm not expecting you to apologize. Like a previous poster already mentioned, the zoning / oridinance arguement is a strategy, plain and simple. It's a convenient arguement to make, even if it lacks substance. I'm just saying that people claiming that ordinance continuity is the reason why they are fighting this are being a tad disingenuous. You make it clear why you are opposed but the arguement that ordinances are "important" kind of gets back to the red herring arguement again. That's all.

I'd be interested to hear how the meeting goes tonight. Hopefully it will remain civil!
I think you are off the mark here. Ayrsley is in Steele Creek. It is one of, perhaps the most diverse (economically, racially) area in Charlotte. There are low income, middle income and high income residents in this area. You can find $525/month apts in Arrowood Crossing to $1 Million+ homes in The Sanctuary.
As Hooligan stated Ayrsley itself is economically diverse. It is a unique mixed development community that is rare in the Charlotte area. Welcome

Old 04-06-2010, 03:55 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
Hooligan, not implying crappy, but not exactly the nicest part of town. I used to work for a company that had a warehouse off of Granite. When I first saw the signs for Ayrsley go up, I thought, "Who in the Sam Hill would want to live out here?'. I was wrong. Lots of people do. You're right about the 3-story but they did seem very "tall" when I looked at them with a friend who was considering buying out there. Tough to keep the top floor warm in winter and cool in summer. She asked the sales person who of course told her there wasn't a problem. She went back a few days later by herself and asked the production guy and he kind of smirked. I'd like to see the statistics on racial diversity that NCGirl sites. I've spent a lot of time down there for work and my kids have played softball on those fields by Carowinds for years now and I don't see too much diversity. Just my observation which is why I'd be interested in some stats.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:07 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Hooligan, not implying crappy, but not exactly the nicest part of town. I used to work for a company that had a warehouse off of Granite. When I first saw the signs for Ayrsley go up, I thought, "Who in the Sam Hill would want to live out here?'. I was wrong. Lots of people do. You're right about the 3-story but they did seem very "tall" when I looked at them with a friend who was considering buying out there. Tough to keep the top floor warm in winter and cool in summer. She asked the sales person who of course told her there wasn't a problem. She went back a few days later by herself and asked the production guy and he kind of smirked. I'd like to see the statistics on racial diversity that NCGirl sites. I've spent a lot of time down there for work and my kids have played softball on those fields by Carowinds for years now and I don't see too much diversity. Just my observation which is why I'd be interested in some stats.
Steele Creek is quite diverse and is known as a nice area for African-Americans. Not saying other groups aren't there but it is well talked about among AA Charlotte natives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte