Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 09:19 PM

6 posts, read 13,521 times

Advertisements

I have a boat and the covenant states we are not allowed to have boats. I keep my boat in storage but I do bring it home on the weekends we like to camp and have to load the boat, clean or do maintanence on the boat and everytime I bring it home they send me a letter. What do I do????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 09:24 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,024 times
Per the rules, as you state, I am not sure that there is much you can do about cleaning or doing maintenance on it, but I would think you would at least be able to pull it up to load or unload it.

The first thing would probably be to contact your HOA, in writing, and ask them if they can work with you on a mutually agreeable solution.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:33 PM

6 posts, read 13,521 times
I could understand if I kept it at my house but I have no where else to do things that I need to do to the boat. I have to bring it to my house I am going to install speakers in it this weekend and they sent me a letter and said if I bring it home again they would call a hearing and they could fine me $100 How else am I suppose to put the speakers in my boat without bring it home. This is very ridiculus.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:00 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,790 times
Find out who is on the board and request to meet with them at their next board meeting. I find it hard to believe, as an HOA President that they would fine you for just bringing your boat home for a day or so and doing some work on it. I'm sure they don't want your community turning into a Jiffy Lube or repair shop but an occassional night here and there should not be an issue.

Usually when they say something about a fine it is "up to $100/day". I also suggest calling your management companies representative and ask them also.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:12 PM

97 posts, read 255,302 times
Stop living where there's an HOA!

Old 04-02-2010, 05:14 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,208,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarcia1969 View Post
I have a boat and the covenant states we are not allowed to have boats. I keep my boat in storage but I do bring it home on the weekends we like to camp and have to load the boat, clean or do maintanence on the boat and everytime I bring it home they send me a letter. What do I do????
It's going to depend how it is worded and the intent. I lived in a place where a HOA that did not allow boats. But the intent of it was to keep people from permanently parking boats in the driveway. Same for campers and RVs. So there wasn't any issue with bringing a boat or camper overnight to load/unload, etc.

If in doubt, contact your HOA president or representative. Usually this will clarify their position on it. Depending upon your needs, I don't think they can do anything at all if the boat is parked for a few hours on the street in front of your home. Legally HOA restrictions do not apply to city property. It's enough time for cleaning and loading. Extended maintenance and repairs might be another matter as there are city restrictions against such things that someone can call you out on.

Last edited by lumbollo; 04-02-2010 at 05:31 AM..

Old 04-02-2010, 11:51 AM

445 posts, read 1,166,380 times
I also think you should directly contact your HOA's management company or ask for a confernence with the board. My guess is you have a neighbor who is reporting you - if you truly only have it on the weekends. Most management companies aren't that " on the spot" but do respond to complaints from neighbors.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:13 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,433 times
If its only for a ocassional specified time while loading and NOT overnight, they shouldn't have a problem with it. But if you're keeping it overnight or having it there for extended time frames while cleaning, its obviously not fair to your neighbors. It sounds like you have it there more than is reasonable, as you state you have it there "over the weekend". I would have a problem with that in my HOA.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:47 PM

539 posts, read 1,498,030 times
If you can post exactly what your covenants say on the subject. That will make it easier to reply with correct info and good advise. For example my covenants state that "no boat,camper or trailer can be stored on any property." The key work "stored". Bringing home one of these to load up for a trip or to clean is not an issue. Having it in your driveway overnight though is.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:44 PM

595 posts, read 1,622,239 times
Is this a managed HOA?

I see no reason anyone would have a problem with you having the boat at your house for a day. Are you sure you are not keeping at your house for longer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte