U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:20 PM

235 posts, read 236,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfnme View Post
We don't want a townhome, 3 kids, 2 dogs, and I grew up with horses, so i just don't like them. I have been thinking Indian Land in Union would be good, but I am a sucker for a Colonial, and this house on Olde Whitehall looked nice, but I have to see the neighborhood, too hard to tell from pictures. My husband will be working in Ballantyne, so want to be in S Charlotte area.
I think I meant Indian Trail, not Indian Land. I just found out today there was one of each in Charlotte area (confusing).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 07:21 PM

395 posts, read 1,003,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
It isn't Ballantyne but I like the area. I live near Olde Whitehall and I have to agree that it looks likeit is on a decline. I don't have any firsthand experience but from what I see driving by many of the homes and yards need a lot more upkeep. The overall area is nice with lots of shopping, including Ayrsley, just minutes away. The new Rivergate shopping center is closeby as well. I sugesst checking out the other single family homes and townhomes.

PS. If it means anything to you, there are three Starbucks nearby (and one inside SuperTarget).
I wouldn't really call the Rivergate shopping center close to Whitehall, but Ayrsley is.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:01 PM

4,299 posts, read 10,282,032 times
Quote:
Anyone know anything about Olde Whitehall neighborhood. Olde Whitehall street/drive, steele creek elementary, Kennedy middle.

If you tend to do any shopping there or going out to eat, make sure you carry change with you.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:05 PM

4,299 posts, read 10,282,032 times
Quote:
what is happening to make it decline? Is is houses that have been owned many years and owners haven't been able to fix up (fixed income types, etc) or is it the people that are buying the houses? They don't seem like the type to turn into rentals. Crime wise, is is house theft, or walking down the street someone robs sort of thing, or are the local shops full of bars in the windows... Does Nations Ford have the strip joints, etc? In the West we always knew that if a Starbucks went into a neighborhood, you knew it would turn, and people started snapping up the houses! Ha ha. The investors would come in and you didn't stand a chance...

There's lots of townhomes on S Tryon. What happens with those is they do turn into rentals.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:02 AM

4,732 posts, read 13,565,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
There's lots of townhomes on S Tryon. What happens with those is they do turn into rentals.
Yes, those ones down near Arrowood are all rentals, but they are pretty old, especially by Charlotte standards. There are some new ones as well as single families by Eastwood right across from the police station, but they want way too much for those being in that area. Rivergate is somewhat close to Olde Whitehall. It's about 2-3 miles further than Ayrsely.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,095 times
My parents moved into a new home in Olde Whitehall when I was a year and a half old (1986) and still live there. The neighborhood is a little past it's prime, but it is definately not as bad as some of the comments above. It is a resonably safe middle-class neighborhood with homes built in the mid-1980's. People take resonable care of their yards, are mostly friendly, and I feel completely safe walking around at night.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:08 AM

4,779 posts, read 4,027,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
...And Ayrsley is a really nice shopping center. But there is hardly any parking there.

In some areas immediately outside the shops (Wild Wings Cafe comes immediately to mind) there is limited parking, yes. However, there is that whole parking deck that barely gets used. Folks are, seemingly, just too lazy to walk 150 yds to get to/from their cars...

I live in Ayrsley and feel completely safe walking around Aryrsley at night. I don't walk up and down S. Tryon much, so I can't comment on that.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,866 times
The person who made negative comments doesn't know the area. Olde Whitehall neighborhood is great. Safe, clean no it's not a neighborhood full of mansions but does that mean it's not good enough?

Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 PM

11,770 posts, read 18,373,546 times
Well doing a crime map on it the only drawback I could see apart from one B&E was theft from cars.
[LEFT]Created: Fri Dec 03 2010
Period: The last year
Category: Motor vehicle
09/28 Theft From Motor Vehicle
11/03 Theft From Motor Vehicle
11/19 Theft From Motor Vehicle

Now the shopping center across the street & the neighborhoods on S. Tryon are a heck of a lot worse.

[/LEFT]

Old 12-04-2010, 12:26 AM

3,073 posts, read 4,473,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I wouldn't buy a house there. I used to live near there and the neighborhood has been declining steadily for the past few years. Very high property crime rate in that area and too close to a rough street (Nations Ford Rd) despite the police station being nearby. Many homes for sale in this area for obvious reasons.
I lived on Nations Ford for many years and saw it go down. The entire area on that end of highway 49 is not where I would want to live now . Its not exactly Myers Park if you know what I mean.. There is a reason almost all of the newer condo/appartments have metal gates around them .I almost bought a new home in Old white hall 20 years ago. I bet the prices now havent even gone up if that tells you anything. The entire stretch of highway 49 from old white hall to the river is packed with newer condos, homes and apartments now. They offer a big big selection .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte