U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:32 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,922,221 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of The Mayfair on Rea Road, a mile or so south of where Colony turns into Rea, and the townhomes just south of there (smaller, less expensive). I consider Sharon Towers to be an old age home, no disrespect intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 09:20 AM

28 posts, read 30,155 times
Red face same age group, different requirements

although I'm the same age group as the 55+ couple, I'm interested in finding out which neighborhood in Charlotte would be the most pedestrian friendly. I would like a condo/or other maintenance free residence within walking distance to say a supermarket, bank, post office, library and pharmacy. Would anyone be able to recommend an area I should look into?
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:24 AM

8 posts, read 9,137 times
Thank you for your responses regarding Sun City and some other suggestions. Bear in mind that in my experience most developments are cookie cutter since the builder has just so many design choices to offer....so this is not a problem for me. As for the commuting to Charlotte.... From where I live now (LI) it takes me 1hr 15 min with no traffice to get to the theatre in Manhattan and then pay $30 to park. Anything less is wonderful! I was told that Sun City has an average age of 62 which is quite young for an active adult community. We are not looking for assisted living. Guess we won't know if it's for us till we get down there and look around. In the meantime any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will look into the ones already mentioned. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:44 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,914,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
There is a senior community connected to Birkdale in Huntersville. You might want to look into that area. While the actual community itself is 55+, it is not as isolated as Sun City and there is a good cross section of people there. Unfortunately I don't recall the name of it.

The glens at Birkdale. They have a website [the glens birkdale] (one word) dot com. I think they are rental units only.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:57 AM

407 posts, read 727,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmomma View Post
although I'm the same age group as the 55+ couple, I'm interested in finding out which neighborhood in Charlotte would be the most pedestrian friendly. I would like a condo/or other maintenance free residence within walking distance to say a supermarket, bank, post office, library and pharmacy. Would anyone be able to recommend an area I should look into?
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
The Greens at Birkdale Village not The Glen. My wife and I are both 55+ but do not feel like senior citizens even though I have my Medicare card. We were shown Sun City but it was definately not for us. The Greens has a wide variety of single family homes plus there are townhouse condos that are are also part of the HOA. Restaurants, Starbucks, shopping(including B & N, Dick's Sporting Goods, Ann Taylor, Bananna Republic, Jos Banks, Total Wines, Wm Sonoma, plus many others), banks, pharmacy, and a supermarket are easy walking distance, 10-15 minutes. Not so the public library & post office which are about 1 1/2 mile. The area is very pet friendly and we enjoy walking thru the Village with our dog and stopping to get something to eat or drink(alcoholic and non).

Old 04-07-2010, 07:47 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
I believe there may be some condo/townhouses on various spots of Lake Norman, but I don't recall the names of the complexes. It may be that construction has stopped on some of them since the economic slowdown. Anyone have info to share on these complexes? My recollection is that they are 55+ and not rentals.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:44 PM

30 posts, read 68,206 times
There aren't many 55+ communities around here. I am from Long Island and have looked at Sun City with my parents who are 55+. I disagree with what most of the others here have said. Yes Sun City is outside of Charlotte technically but its only isolated if you choose for it to be. Ballantyne is just a <10 minute drive and you will have lots of shopping, dining, and entertainment options. Stonecrest shopping center has great restaurants and free live music during the summer on weekends. Its very enjoyable. If you are not already social people or don't want to become more social then Sun City is a waste of your money. Its premium priced because of the unique offering of giving you friends all around you who are in the same boat as you. Yes they can and do charge you for that! In my opinion its worth paying for though. There are tons of activities. Just go into the community center (big building) and you can see all the things they have going on. I live in Ballantyne which is close to SunCity and there are sometimes groups of residents who go out to dinner together once and a while.

No I don't work for them but I feel like I should! Charlotte has a lot of young families. You may fine many regular communities far more isolating than anywhere else. People gravitate towards those who they can relate to easiest. I would hate for you both to move here and live in a community with people that aren't that interested in interacting with you or vice versa. Also there are lots of New Yorkers and NJ'ers living in Sun City.

Good luck

Old 04-13-2010, 11:46 AM

8 posts, read 9,137 times
Thanks JGS7 for your positive spin on Sun City. That was my impression even though I haven't yet visited the place. I'm hoping to find other locations to look at to make a comparison. As long as they have a decent number of homes (300+ seems good) so that the social activities will be supported, we'll be happy and busy. We are very active people in our 60's and not looking to sit back and vegetate. I am however, also concerned with the crime rate that I've heard about in the Charlotte area. Should I be concerned? Thanks for any info that you or anyone else can provide.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:47 AM

30 posts, read 68,206 times
I wouldnt be concerned with crime, provided you are careful with where you move to. Charlotte is very similar to Long Island. For Example Merrick is close to Hempstead but they are very different crime profiles.

The Ballantyne area is the lowest low crime rate in Charlotte I believe.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:09 AM

81 posts, read 131,976 times
You could also look at the patio home in Ballantyne Country Club. It's not a retirement community but most people are of that age, 24 homes on a cul-de-sac street and easy access to restaurants, etc in the area. Plus right across from the golf course.
Sun City is nice looking but it's a bit far from culture, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte