Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 11:14 AM

22 posts, read 34,255 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get involved with or start a non-profit organization in Charlotte that focuses on increasing awareness about the benefits of buying local produce and meat.
So far I haven't been able to find anything besides Slow Food Charlotte and that doesn't seem to have a lot of activity/involvement since 2009.
Trying to guage interest if an organization were to be established - we would link consumers to local farmers, increase awareness of the farmers markets and work with local institutions (schools, hospitals, government centers, etc) and local stores to carry more locally grown/raised food.
Anyone know where I could get started or anyone out there interested in starting something together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 01:02 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,246 times
You might want to contact Lynn Caldwell, organizer of the Tailgate Market in South End; she has a lot of similar ideas, and is hooked in with the slow food/locavore community here.

Charlotte Tailgate Farmers Market

Old 04-08-2010, 01:38 PM

55 posts, read 190,481 times
The Breadriot in Salisbury is a nonprofit group and their mission is:

The Bread Riot cultivates a thriving local economy by facilitating a supply of locally produced food, utilizing sustainable farming practices and focusing on whole-life issues, education, and environmental concern.

Looks like a fit for what you are talking about and they have a farm tour this spring to help educate consumers about buying local.
Breadriot.org

Old 04-08-2010, 02:20 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,962 times
Community supported agriculture, in Davidson; a buying group that buys food locally.

Know Your Farms - Local Food Services

Old 04-14-2010, 10:21 AM

Thanks CharlotteGal and GaMe2005 - those look like great resources. I will definitely get in touch with both and see what sort of involvement they are seeing in Charlotte.

XcapefromNJ - I actually participate in a CSA closer to my home in Mint Hill. I agree that it's a great way to buy local food and support our farmers.

My goal is to join or start an organization that gets the word out about buying local, supporting CSA's and farmers markets.

thanks again for your suggestions!

Old 04-14-2010, 10:23 AM

370 posts, read 753,065 times
I just wanted to tell you to make sure and post the information here if you get it started!

I would be a big supporter.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:08 PM

15 posts, read 28,310 times
You should link up with the Family & Consumer Sciences (FACS) department in the public schools (they teach nutrition and cooking classes). I may be moving to Charlotte to teach FACS next year and would absoultely love to be involved with something like that. I'm sure, or at least I would hope, that some of the teachers who are already there would be interested as well.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:28 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,598,740 times
slowfoodcharlotte.org is the one I learn about at culinary school all the time. Greatful growers and other local farmers are part of it.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:52 AM

Thanks everyone! I joined slowfoodcharlotte and hope to get involved in that to make some connections. Ultimately - I plan to start my own non-profit based on the Buy Fresh Buy Local campaigns (website here)or similar to what is being done in Asheville with the Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project (ASAP).
I'll continue to post updates here for those that are interested!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte