Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 05:22 PM

7 posts, read 10,207 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I know this has been covered a million times, but my case is a little different I think. My wife's company is opening an office in Charlotte and she may have a great opportunity to transfer there. I own a fishing charter business on Long Island which I have no problem giving up, but would like to be able to continue salt water fishing in N.C. As of now we are thinking of living about 30-40mins outside of Charlotte and possibly buying a small weekend place (whether it be a condo, or small home) near the coast. Maybe near Wilmington? From what I've reasearched it seems if I live SE of Charlotte, I should be able to get to the coast within 2 1/2 - 3 hrs? Am I being unrealistic in thinking I can do this on the weekends? Do people go to the coast for the weekend from the Charlotte area, or is it too far? I know there are a lot of large lakes, but it's just not my thing.

Also, what areas are good within that 30-40 min commute to Charlotte? I would be looking for a house in a rural community; good schools (my daughter is 1); decent size lot (an acre or more) for around $350K.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 05:37 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Within a 30-40 min commute to which part of Charlotte?

You're not going to find anything on an acre lot within 30-40 mins of uptown for $350K, I don't think.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:58 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Within a 30-40 min commute to which part of Charlotte?quote]
No sure yet.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:05 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTKFieldtester View Post
Hello all,

I know this has been covered a million times, but my case is a little different I think. My wife's company is opening an office in Charlotte and she may have a great opportunity to transfer there. I own a fishing charter business on Long Island which I have no problem giving up, but would like to be able to continue salt water fishing in N.C. As of now we are thinking of living about 30-40mins outside of Charlotte and possibly buying a small weekend place (whether it be a condo, or small home) near the coast. Maybe near Wilmington? From what I've reasearched it seems if I live SE of Charlotte, I should be able to get to the coast within 2 1/2 - 3 hrs? Am I being unrealistic in thinking I can do this on the weekends? Do people go to the coast for the weekend from the Charlotte area, or is it too far? I know there are a lot of large lakes, but it's just not my thing.

Also, what areas are good within that 30-40 min commute to Charlotte? I would be looking for a house in a rural community; good schools (my daughter is 1); decent size lot (an acre or more) for around $350K.

Thanks!!

Getting to the beach from the easternmost most side of Charlotte will still take you at least 4 hours (there is no interstate, you go on state roads).

Do you know your wife's companies location in Charlotte so we can best advise you?

Old 04-08-2010, 06:18 PM

554 posts, read 1,508,194 times
charleston and wilmington are 3 hours away from South Charlotte.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:43 AM

4 posts, read 5,112 times
North Charlotte (Lake Norman area) would get you further from the coast. Try south of town. There is still land available in Union County. Check out South Carolina. Clover, Fort Mill, Rock Hill, or Chester. You can get more house and land for the money in South Carolina and still an easy commute to Charlotte (30-45 minutes). With the semi-new 485 loop, even getting to North Charlotte is easy). South Carolina also gets you closer to the coast... There are a ton of coastal fishing options in SC. Try Edisto and Beaufort. You could also check out areas like Concord and Salisbury. The schools aren't as good, but this direction gets you closer to the NC coast.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:47 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEve011 View Post
Amanda, I am in S Charlotte and I cannot get to either Wilmington or Charleston in 3 hours. And I drive fast, lol.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:51 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEve011 View Post
You can get to the CITY of Charleston in 3 hours from Charlotte - but you cannot get to beaches around it for the fishing our OP is looking to do in 3 hours - it is closer to 4.

And if you are making it from south Charlotte to Wilmington in 3 hours you are driving 95 miles an hour - I'd be careful doing that

Old 04-10-2010, 01:28 PM

Thanks for all the replys. At this point, I think we would be looking to buy a house no further than an hour south of Charlotte. I think this would give me a 3 hr ride to Charleston. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I am only going off some internet research. So, is South Carolina cheaper than NC? How are the schools? I've been told Waxhaw, Matthews, Fort Mill, are all good areas. My wife went to college with someone from Rock Hill, and from what she remembers, she said that area seemed nice. I guess we would be looking anywhere in that general area. I've been to Charlotte once for work, and I was told at that time to be careful driving in SC because the troopers love to pull you over and give you a hard time. Is that true?

Old 04-10-2010, 03:23 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Amanda, I am in S Charlotte and I cannot get to either Wilmington or Charleston in 3 hours. And I drive fast, lol.
You're not going fast enough Ani. I can do Wilmington in 3 hours, but Charleston is 3.5 hours for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte