U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,819 times

Advertisements

We are looking for an apartment in the Southend/Dilworth area. So far our top choice is Circle at Southend, but I've used CMPD Crime search site (http://maps.cmpdweb.org/cmpdnet/quickSearch.aspx (broken link)) and there have been 8 rapes (and a lot of less serious crimes) since January 1st, 2008 in a .5 mile radius around the address. Is this due to its close proximity to Amos' and Uptown Cabaret?

Does anyone have any experience with this apartment complex? It is fairly new, so I can't find anything on Google.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 08:05 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,281,319 times
.5 mile radius is a huge radius when looking at an urban area. So, that can be misleading.The 1000 feet radius is probably more telling in such a dense area. That would probably include the entire south side of uptown and parts of Wilmore/Wesley Heights. You can look on the actual map which will pinpoint where exactly those happened. That would be more accurate. I can't remember hearing of any random rapes of people walking home or anything in that area.

I have always gotten an eery feeling walking South End after dark, though. The lighting is terrible and unless there is an art crawl or some other event going on, it's fairly deserted.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
.5 mile radius is a huge radius when looking at an urban area. So, that can be misleading.The 1000 feet radius is probably more telling in such a dense area. That would probably include the entire south side of uptown and parts of Wilmore/Wesley Heights. You can look on the actual map which will pinpoint where exactly those happened. That would be more accurate. I can't remember hearing of any random rapes of people walking home or anything in that area.

I have always gotten an eery feeling walking South End after dark, though. The lighting is terrible and unless there is an art crawl or some other event going on, it's fairly deserted.
That's true. With the 1000 miles radius, it's 4 incidents of rape since 1/1/08. This would still include Amos' in that radius(maybe underage incidents there aka statutory rape instead of actual mugging rape?), as well as Strawn Apartments across the street(where the largest blue dot is). From my understanding, Strawn is for the elderly and disabled?

The building seems pretty secure (gated parking deck, entrance, etc), and there is a police officer that lives there that parks his car near the entrance. Walking around during the day, it seems really safe, but it's nice to find out more before signing a year long lease.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:05 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,171,641 times
My personal thought is that the Southend is still very transitional. You have some sketchy areas just a few blocks away and across the train tracks. I think any trendy/urban area has the same problems so its a trade off. Live out in a quiet suburb with no crime but nothing to do, or take the risk and live someplace fun.

The Circle at Southend seems to be in a okay part of Southend so its no worse than any other part of Southend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte