U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 05:58 PM

85 posts, read 170,423 times

Advertisements

Took a road a trip to Charlotte this week and looked at a few new home communities in anticipation of a relocation from NYC. Looked in Fort Mill (Baxters Village), Waxhaw ( The Chumneys of Marvin), Huntersville (Gilead Ridge). Would be relocating from NY and would be working in finance possibly BofA or Wells. We are a family of 4, kids are 4 and 2, can anyone tell me which would be the best fit for us.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 06:07 PM

95 posts, read 214,868 times
I prefer the huntersville,Birkdale,Northlake area, it is closer to what I was used to when I moved from NY a few years back. I lived in baxter and did not like it at all. I would definity land your job first and wait 2-3 months before you buy so that you get a chance to look around. Charlotte has some awesome older communities and hidden gems.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:06 PM

554 posts, read 1,315,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbury84 View Post
I prefer the huntersville,Birkdale,Northlake area, it is closer to what I was used to when I moved from NY a few years back. I lived in baxter and did not like it at all. I would definity land your job first and wait 2-3 months before you buy so that you get a chance to look around. Charlotte has some awesome older communities and hidden gems.

Sorry but I completely disagree. Why part of NY did you live in?! Huntersvilld is nothing like NY! None of Charlotte or it's suburbs are! If you have kids I'd suggest chimneys at Marvin - excellent top notch school district, very safe, beautiful neighborhood with great ammenities an a stones throw from Ballantyne and about 25 min commute from uptown! Good luck!!

Old 04-11-2010, 09:03 PM

5,787 posts, read 8,429,752 times
Interesting 3 areas... Were you planning for your kids going to public schools in Brooklyn? You say NYC (which I assume to be Manhattan itself), but your SN says Brooklyn. I know Brooklyn is part of NYC, just kind of wondering...

If you planned to send them to public city schools up there then Huntersville may not be a bad choice at all. Decent commute to Uptown and plenty of amenities. Some good private options, if you wanted to go that route.

Look at the schools very closely, though... CMS vs. UC vs. Not NC = which I believe "Ft Mill" spans over 2 counties in SC. I'd also consider very strongly how built out/mature the communities are.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:08 AM

Yes I live in Brooklyn and my kids are currently going to private school.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:38 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,928,219 times
Definitely, definitely get a job first and figure out what kind of a commute you would have. Marvin is NOT a 25 minute commute to uptown. Certainly not at rush hour. If you work with BofA you might have some options of working in Ballantyne or Huntersville satellites, or even from home. Not so much with Wells. You'd have to go uptown quite a bit.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:32 AM

5,787 posts, read 8,429,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Marvin is NOT a 25 minute commute to uptown. Certainly not at rush hour.
Yeah I meant to say that! More like a 45 minute commute on average - a well placed wreck and you could look at twice that... No better with Fort Mill. That's why I mentioned Huntersville because that's going to likely be the best commute of the 3.

Mike - If you're going to stay the private school route, Huntersville could work very well... Actually, with your kids so young you could even consider starting them in the Elementary there as they are very good in that area. Many people will talk about the CMS school "issues" coming about as you get into Middle and High school.

Maybe if you talk more about how you picked those 3 areas - your budget - and what you'd be willing to put up with for a commute (plus where you'll be working), you could get better advice here. Do you really want to move to the burbs?

Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,928,219 times
"Yeah I meant to say that! More like a 45 minute commute on average - a well placed wreck and you could look at twice that... No better with Fort Mill. That's why I mentioned Huntersville because that's going to likely be the best commute of the 3."

This is my #1 pet peeve about this site. I don't think people do it maliciously, but I constantly see people giving incorrect commuting estimates. This is important information and people are basing some very important decisions on what they read here. So posters, please, please, please, do not underestimate commuting times! If you're going by what a spouse or friend tells you it takes them, don't post it! I don't think Charlotte's traffic is terrible (especially after a recent trip to the LA area!) but if someone thinks they can buy a house out in Marvin and be uptown in 25 minutes, that's going to have an affect on their decision to buy out there. A few years ago, the company I work for bought up a company in Philadelphia and brought down some of the employees. Three or four of them worked with me and they were all using the same realtor to find houses in Marvin. At the time, I had never heard of Marvin and didn't look it up on a map. They were all so excited about the housing prices (sold at just the right time in Philly) and they all bought houses out there, not sure exactly where but two were in the same neighborhood. Within months, they were all miserable. Getting home later and later, missing their kids sports, etc. They said the realtor had cut the commute time in half at least. That's why you should go into the neighborhoods you like at about 7:45 in the morning and drive to where you'll have to get. Do it a few times in the morning and afternoon. As someone who hates spending time sitting in my car and wasting gas, after looking at schools, commute is next priority. So let's all try to be more accurate!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 AM

45 minutes on a normal day might be a bit too much, would like to be a little closer. I have a couple of frienbds that live in Charlotte and told me about the community in Waxhaw and Gilead ridge. I found Baxters on my own and liked the feel of the community with all the shops in the village. Would like to be in a good school district so I can send the kids to public school. Would like to stay around 350k if possible, with at most a 45 minute commute to uptown (BofA or Wells) at rush hour.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:07 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,148,345 times
I think you would like Baxter. The schools are much better than CMS, and are actually the best in SC. You wouldn't have to worry about going private there. The commute from that area isn't horrible, but if there is an accident on 77, you'll be stuck. I know lots of people who leave super early to beat the traffic. I would say on a normal day it will take you about 30 mins to get uptown, and 45 w/heavy traffic. An accident could make it longer, but you'd have the same situation anywhere in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or