U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 02:36 PM

14 posts, read 34,430 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any additional info on this? Like if the public supports the idea and do you think it could become a reality?

Southeast High Speed Rail Corridor

I think it would be pretty amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 02:40 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,711,059 times
The relevant info can be found on the NCDOT Railroad site.

http://bytrain.org

Old 04-13-2010, 01:07 AM

12,381 posts, read 22,639,889 times
That Southeast HSR plan is a crock. Amtrak has plans to extend the Northeast / Southeast Corridor down to Charlotte via the Triangle area. It would be Electric trains will a average speed of 140mph , with tops of 160mph. I believe once the Triangle & Richmond get there Light Rail plans in order , it will pick up steam. And other lines would spur out of the main trunk line , but those would be slower diesel lines like today.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
That Southeast HSR plan is a crock. Amtrak has plans to extend the Northeast / Southeast Corridor down to Charlotte via the Triangle area. It would be Electric trains will a average speed of 140mph , with tops of 160mph. I believe once the Triangle & Richmond get there Light Rail plans in order , it will pick up steam. And other lines would spur out of the main trunk line , but those would be slower diesel lines like today.
This information is completely incorrect.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 AM

20,510 posts, read 25,724,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Nope, I posted a thread asking about it nearly 2 years ago. I heard a report on KYW-TV, & there was something about it on NBC Nightly News, at the time. Now they are talking about extending beyond Charlotte.

Extending Acela to Charlotte

Old 04-13-2010, 07:25 AM

There is no Acela coming to Charlotte. Here is a summary of what is going on.

• First understand there are two different train operations in NC. Amtrak operates it's usual very poor timed service in NC. It's lines are by consequence that it's NE to Fla, and NE to New Orleans lines pass through NC. One of these lines goes through Charlotte and makes a stop there.
  • Lesser known is the NCDOT operates it's independently funded passenger train service. NC is one of only 2-3 states that does this. The NCDOT does co-brand this service with Amtrak so it it often mistaken for Amtrak. However if the NCDOT were to pull these trains, Charlotte would be left with one or two Amtrak stops in the middle of the night. The NCDOT trains are owned by the state.
  • The NCDOT offers up daily train service between Charlotte and Raleigh mostly on the NC Railroad shared tracks. Trains leave each morning around 8 from both cities, and head to the other. in the evenings they return. There are stops at all the NC cities on this route. In June they will be adding a mid-day train.
  • The Carolinean which is the NCDOT train that leaves Charlotte, does continue on to NYC with stops in Richmond, and DC. (maybe Baltimore) Once it leaves NC, it is essentially another Amtrak train due to scheduling. There is a parallel train that leaves NYC for Charlotte. Again these trains would not exist were it not for NC funding.
This background is necessary to understand what has been approved in terms of high speed rail. Unlike Amtrak, the NCDOT trains are successful from a financial perspective. They have been operating in the black for years and within the state, they offer cheap nice clean train service that meets the needs of residents. I've taken this train to Raleigh before and I highly recommend it.

There has been a plan to build high speed rail in the USA since the Clinton days. Funding was killed during the Bush administration and thus, all worked stopped. Therefore, the NCDOT and the VADOT funded their own study of improving the NCDOT train service so that it could be operated as high speed rail. It is this effort that has received funding for a major expansion. The biggest cost is not in the trains, but in improving the trackage between NC and DC so that trains can be operated at higher speeds. Right now, once a train leaves the NCRR tracks, it's back to freight tracks that have been neglected and which restrict the speeds of the trains. Passenger trains often have to vie for times against freight trains.

The plan is NOT to build electrified Acela type trains. Instead these high speed trains will be diesel powered as they simply don't have the money to build a true HSR similar to what is seen in Japan and Europe. This means the trains will most likely operate with an average speed of about 110 mph. It is unknown whether Amtrak will be involved or not.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:32 AM

12,381 posts, read 22,639,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Nope, I posted a thread asking about it nearly 2 years ago. I heard a report on KYW-TV, & there was something about it on NBC Nightly News, at the time. Now they are talking about extending beyond Charlotte.

Extending Acela to Charlotte
oh thats probably phase to Atlanta ,although i'm skeptical about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post

• First understand there are two different train operations in NC. Amtrak operates it's usual very poor timed service in NC. It's lines are by consequence that it's NE to Fla, and NE to New Orleans lines pass through NC. One of these lines goes through Charlotte and makes a stop there.
  • Lesser known is the NCDOT operates it's independently funded passenger train service. NC is one of only 2-3 states that does this. The NCDOT does co-brand this service with Amtrak so it it often mistaken for Amtrak. However if the NCDOT were to pull these trains, Charlotte would be left with one or two Amtrak stops in the middle of the night. The NCDOT trains are owned by the state.
  • The NCDOT offers up daily train service between Charlotte and Raleigh mostly on the NC Railroad shared tracks. Trains leave each morning around 8 from both cities, and head to the other. in the evenings they return. There are stops at all the NC cities on this route. In June they will be adding a mid-day train.
  • The Carolinean which is the NCDOT train that leaves Charlotte, does continue on to NYC with stops in Richmond, and DC. (maybe Baltimore) Once it leaves NC, it is essentially another Amtrak train due to scheduling. There is a parallel train that leaves NYC for Charlotte. Again these trains would not exist were it not for NC funding.
This background is necessary to understand what has been approved in terms of high speed rail. Unlike Amtrak, the NCDOT trains are successful from a financial perspective. They have been operating in the black for years and within the state, they offer cheap nice clean train service that meets the needs of residents. I've taken this train to Raleigh before and I highly recommend it.

There has been a plan to build high speed rail in the USA since the Clinton days. Funding was killed during the Bush administration. Therefore, the NCDOT and the VADOT funded their own study of improving the NCDOT train service so that it could be operated as high speed rail. It is this effort that has received funding for a major expansion. The biggest cost is not in the trains, but in improving the trackage between NC and DC so that trains can be operated at higher speeds. Right now, once a train leaves the NCRR tracks, it's back to freight tracks that have been neglected and which restrict the speeds of the trains. Passenger trains often have to vie for times against freight trains.

The plan is NOT to build electrified Acela type trains. Instead these high speed trains will be diesel powered as they simply don't have the money to build a true HSR similar to what is seen in Japan and Europe. This means the trains will most likely operate with an average speed of about 110 mph. It is unknown whether Amtrak will be involved or not.
Are you a Rail fanner? Do you know how the rail system works or what is planned for it? No , i didn't think so. Most of the info i have is insider knowledge within the Rail Community. There are plans for Electrification , either by Amtrak or via a Freight company. Yes Acela type trains will be allowed , but they will be different. They may say diesels in the beginning but , that usually changes a few years into the project. Investors come in and offer to build up have the line. Or China might build the extension. But the Majority of the Rail Community thinks Amtrak will extend the Northeast / Southeast Corridor sometime this decade. Due to growing demand for train service in VA.

Last edited by DarkWolf; 04-13-2010 at 08:20 AM..

Old 04-13-2010, 07:52 AM

20,510 posts, read 25,724,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post

There has been a plan to build high speed rail in the USA since the Clinton days. Funding was killed during the Bush administration and thus, all worked stopped. Therefore, the NCDOT and the VADOT funded their own study of improving the NCDOT train service so that it could be operated as high speed rail. It is this effort that has received funding for a major expansion. The biggest cost is not in the trains, but in improving the trackage between NC and DC so that trains can be operated at higher speeds. Right now, once a train leaves the NCRR tracks, it's back to freight tracks that have been neglected and which restrict the speeds of the trains. Passenger trains often have to vie for times against freight trains.

This is true. At the back end of my property, I have a clear view of passing trains. Usually it is freight trains, but occasionally it is a passenger train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte