U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 11:25 AM

2,110 posts, read 4,438,379 times
Default Patio home vs townhome

Patio home is a new term to me. Is there any difference between a patio home and a townhome? If so, what is the difference?

Thanks!

SL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 12:02 PM

2,447 posts, read 4,472,425 times
From what I understand, a patio home is one level. A townhome has two or more floors.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:57 PM

2,110 posts, read 4,438,379 times
Thanks, is anyone familiar with patio homes on the market perhaps in South Charlotte or Union County? Max $200K.

Thanks!

SL

Old 06-09-2007, 01:51 PM

2,669 posts, read 3,902,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Patio home is a new term to me. Is there any difference between a patio home and a townhome? If so, what is the difference?

Thanks!

SL
My understanding is that patio homes are detached homes in communities where maintenence such as your yard and exterior cleaning are covered in your HOA dues, just like condos and townhome communities. My understanding is also that they can be two level homes, not just single level. I say this because I am actually looking at some communities like that now. I know there's one in Stone Creek in South Charlotte that Centex is doing, but it may not be in your price range. You might want to try Bonterra Village in Union County, I know they have some places like that, also Ryland homes has a community called Brandon Oaks in Union County that you may also be in your price range. Lastly Shea Homes has a community of "triplexes" in Providence Pointe called Riviera that might be in your price range. They're very unique in that it looks like a community of really large detached homes, but they're actually "three dewellings" in one.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:11 PM

549 posts, read 1,608,465 times
A patio home is another term for a townhome. The difference is that a patio home will have a little courtyard either in the front or the back. Some have both especially in the higer-end product beign built. They evoke a similar look to the 19th century townhomes/brownstone that had a courtyard in the back.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:40 AM

5 posts, read 24,441 times
My patio home in Bonterra is approx 2500 sq feet. it is detached. we have 5 bedrooms 3 down including the master and 2 up with a full bath. the garage is a rear entry from a common alley. the best thing is no yard maintenance.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:49 AM

1,859 posts, read 3,106,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post

Thanks!

SL
I was in the Laurel Park subdivision in Concord last week. A patio home has 1 flr & a cottage home has 2 flrs, both are detatched. In Laurel Park, the homes come with an irrigation system, landscaping & a white vinyl privacy fence. In addition to your HOA fee, there's a monthly charge of $81 for your lawn maintanence, front & back yards. You get a landscaping allowance with their landscaper, that allows you to pick what trees & shrubs you want. Anything over that allowance is an out-of-pocket cost to you. The model we saw was beautiful, not boxy & very spaceous.

Hope that helps!

BxRosie

Old 08-24-2007, 12:01 PM

3,093 posts, read 6,148,940 times
I may be mistaken but all the patio homes I ever saw were single family detached but with MUCH smaller yards and the yard maintenance was part of the HOA fee.

Townhomes were always more than one story, attached.

Condos could have passed as apts but owned. Liz

Old 08-24-2007, 02:40 PM

58 posts, read 215,948 times
Here are 89 pictures (inside and out) of patio homes I took when we were looking at new homes in Bonterra Village. Many are two story, all had small yards, were single-family detached with garages, and all outside yard maintenance was included in the homeowners dues.

We seriously considered building the Chancellor model, which, like curtnc's, had two stories, 5 BR, and 2500 sq ft. All interior photos were from the Chancellor model home. They look tiny from the front, but are very deep.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:34 PM

85 posts, read 181,523 times
There is no definitive term architecturally, legally or building wise for a patio home..it is a marketing term...some are attached, some are detached; some are single story, some are multi-story...it is a trendy suburban term meant to differentiate from the traditional (in) townhome, which were typically urban located homes without vast green space...such as a brownstone...typically a patio home does have a prominent patio area, but usually shares common areas such as grass, pools, clubhouses etc...they can be legally incorporated with HOA's and deed restrictions, depending on the developers/owners choice, as many patio home communties function the same as a condo assoc. would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte