U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 08:01 PM

62 posts, read 258,610 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about Anklin Forest in Union County? Custom homes being built? Is the area good? It's kind of near that dump. We might drive over there tomorrow and check it out but wanted to see if there are any pros or cons from anyone here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 09:56 PM

1,887 posts, read 5,270,383 times
It's right off of Waxhaw Marvin Road down near Kensington elementary. Homes are custom built and I believe some of the lots are wooded. Very small subdivision, but it looks nice. I have only been in one home there and it was lovely.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:30 AM

1,435 posts, read 4,970,673 times
Homes are nice but the lots are tiny. At least that's the way it was about 8 months ago.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:44 AM

197 posts, read 636,263 times
The houses look nice but its in between the sewer plant and the shooting range and I think you could find a better location for the money you would spend there

Old 06-10-2007, 09:05 AM

40 posts, read 182,814 times
I looked at Anklin Forest when I was visiting. The homes are really quite nice with great custom features. However, as the previous posters stated - it is near the sewage treatment plant and the shooting range. The lots are on the small side as well. We opted against it pretty quickly because of that, and my guess is that most buyers will do the same.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:40 PM

62 posts, read 258,610 times
Thanks for the info. Is the smell bad and is there a concern of stray bullets or gun noise? I've never been near a shooting range.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:59 PM

815 posts, read 2,407,978 times
I think you'd notice the smell first especially on hotter days. The plant is being expanded but even then it will be close to capacity but then again the breeze usually blows west to east. Anklin is west of the sewer plant. The folks in Cureton probably notice it more, maybe Lawson too.

Union's schools are good but the annual population growth of 10 or more percent does strain resources.

Waxhaw-Marvin Road is seeing more traffic these days because of all the building, people coming from/to the new Cureton shopping center.

Here's the link for the gun club. Didn't see much about safety. CHARLOTTE RIFLE AND PISTOL CLUB The gun club itself is about 1 mile to the west in South Carolina.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 7,746 times
Default Anklin Forest

I recently helped a friend move in (on a Saturday) and could hear the shots from the gun range. It pretty much lasted all day. If that's not an issue for you, then it's a great find. The houses are very nice and look to be well built.

I didn't notice any weird smell at all. If you're thinking about buying here, ask your friends if the gunshots would deter them from buying a used house in this subdivision. I can't imagine that it *wouldn't* have a tremendous impact on resell value and interest.

Last edited by newtocharlotte; 08-13-2007 at 01:01 PM..

Old 12-17-2007, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 9,498 times
Thumbs up No Smell, gun shots minimal in front

Currently live in Anklin Forrest, since October 06. I can only recall smelling the sewage plant once in the past year. The gun shots are louder in the back, they don't disrupt us at all in the front of the neighborhood. Hopefully they shut down the range eventually, doesn't make sense to have a shooting range centered in a bunch of neighborhoods with kids everywhere.

Anklin is primarily young families and I must admit that what the Williams Company does to maintain trees is admirable. All these track builders that wipe out the whole lot and sell the lumber, not very eco-friendly to bulldoze every tree.
Customization at Williams Company was nice, they allow pretty much everything but it's not cheap to do and they won't tell you what to customize, you have to ask. Luckily my wife is an interior designer (www.tiffaniemichelle.com). Email with any questions. We have block parties quarterly, lots of families, holiday parties. We love it here.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:17 AM

295 posts, read 1,137,704 times
Default James Custom Homes - Anklin & other areas

I was very seriously considering Anklin Forest mainly because I really liked one of the builders in that community. I liked that builder so much, I went all the way to the Mint Hill area of Indian Trail (exit 44) to buy the James Custom Homes house I REALLY wanted.

So, I highly recommend James Custom Homes. You'll be happy with their product as they make truly exceptional homes. You will notice a difference from non-custom home builders. JCH does have house plans, though, so they don't build 100% from scratch each time out.

The reason I moved out past exit 44 in Union County is I wanted a larger lot than what I felt were the smallish lots in Anklin and I needed a 3-car garage. The lots that were alloted to JCH in Anklin wouldn't allow them to put a 3-car garage in (although many of the lots that Williams has in Anklin do). I also liked that the development I found only had a few lots where JCH was building and the lots were HUGE in comparison (mine is just under 2 acres). Because of the acreage and the varied builders and varied ages (0-8 years) of the homes in my development (Tallwood), it felt a lot less like a "development" and more like an old-fashioned neighborhood. Tallwood also doesn't have an HOA, which turned out to be a HUGE plus for me, but I don't want to ressurrect that old firefight of a thread from the summer.

So those are the reasons I chose my community over Anklin, but I only mention it because Anklin was very high on my list otherwise. The sewer wasn't much of a concern to me at Anklin, because I never noticed it and it seemed to be an issue more for the other developments in Waxhaw. I also didn't notice the gun range on my first several visits to Anklin, but that's because they were during the week. After making a weekend visit, though, you could hear the constant pop of gunfire in the background. I wasn't concerned about the safety of it, but the annoyance of the noise was a bigger issue.

Still, if you're thinking about Cureton, Prescot, or any of the other developments in that area - I preferred Anklin, mostly because of the quality and uniqueness of the builders and the smaller size of the overall development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte