U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:45 AM

22 posts, read 43,503 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are considering a move to Charlotte, (husband would transfer with a job.) I was wondering if there is an area known to be somewhat Catholic, being an active part of a parish would be important to us.

We would have a 7th and 8th grader, so we are interested in an excellent high school, but not necessarily the most competitive. We've been in that type of school district, and I am more interested in a smaller school that has high academic standards but friendly kids. I'd like them to be able to play on the sports teams without having to be superstars.

I'd like a community where the kids go outside to play with one another, and neighbors enjoy talking and gathering. I guess I'm looking for the atmosphere of a smaller town, but within commuting distance of downtown Charlotte....does that exist?

One more question: I see lots of comments about the lower property taxes in NC compared to other parts of the country, but not specifics. Could anyone give an example of what the property taxes might be on houses within a few ranges? say, houses from 350,000-400,000 and 400,000-500,000?

Thank you so much for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 03:16 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,942,772 times
The vast majority of the South is Protestant. There are Catholic churches here, but I'm not away of any town that would be primarily Catholic or anywhere close to it. The further you get away from areas where there are not many transplants, the more likely you won't find any Catholics at all.

The combined county/city property tax rate for Charlotte is $1.2973 per $100 in assessed value. Thus on a $350K house the yearly tax would be $4540.55. You also pay this tax on vehicles, boats, RVs, etc. There is an 8.25% sales tax on retail purchases. Prepared food is 8.75% and other food items are tax a little less than the 8.25% rate.

Keep in mind that real estate is dropping in value here like a rock thown in water and especially in the price ranges you are talking about. The county is desperately short of money as is the state and as a result, expect all taxes to rise.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:12 AM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,597,376 times
St. Matthew Catholic Church is a very large parish located in the Ballantyne area (South Charlotte). I may be wrong, but I heard there are well over 20,000 members. We live just over the border in Indian Land, South Carolina and many residents here attend St. Matthew, which is about 10 miles away.

http://home.catholicweb.com/stmatthewcatholic/

Old 04-18-2010, 08:25 AM

407 posts, read 728,342 times
St Mark's in Huntersville is another large Catholic parish. They recently completed a new church. Unheard of in our area of western Pa where they are closing parishes and trying to sell Catholic churches. The increase in the Catholic population in Mecklenburg County is due to the vast in-migration of Catholics from the north.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:08 PM

198 posts, read 566,878 times
Pretty much any area that is newer (built up in the last 10-15 years like many of the Charlotte suburbs), or populated with a lot of relocated Northerners, is going to have a large Catholic population. There are at least 6 Catholic parishes I'm aware of in/around Charlotte, and they are all BURSTING at the seams! Our parish (St Gabe's) has EIGHT Masses each weekend! And an advertising exec who works with church bulletins recently told me that St Matthew's in Ballantyne is the largest church **OF ANY DENOMINATION** in the Carolinas. I knew it was a large parish, but that statistic blew me away!

As far as Catholic schools, there are several Catholic elementary schools, but only one middle school (Holy Trinity on Park Road) and one high school (Charlotte Catholic on Pineville-Matthews Road).

Old 04-18-2010, 01:24 PM

21,970 posts, read 27,258,015 times
Here's the listing, for the diocese, for schools & churches.

Home (http://www.charlottediocese.org/ - broken link)

Old 04-18-2010, 06:02 PM

22 posts, read 43,503 times
Thanks everyone, for the responses. It looks like there are parishes that would be good for us... how about the neighborhoods? Is the Ballantyne area the type of neighborhood that I was describing? Where kids and adults like to go out and gather and hang out together?

I guess that I thought that the property taxes would be a bit lower. So a $350,000 house would have a tax bill of $4500? Would that vary with the amount of land that you have? In our county, the "assessed" value of the home is significantly lower than the sale price.... is that not the case in Charlotte?

Thanks again.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:11 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,942,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli499 View Post

I guess that I thought that the property taxes would be a bit lower. So a $350,000 house would have a tax bill of $4500? Would that vary with the amount of land that you have? In our county, the "assessed" value of the home is significantly lower than the sale price.... is that not the case in Charlotte?...
That is the amount you would be taxed on property that is assessed at $350K. When they assess the property it includes the price of the land and all structures on it. For most people this will be their home and the land. When you purchase a home, you will be responsible for the current tax rate on the home. They don't change it due to the sale.

In NC counties must perform a re-valuation every 8 years. Basically the way it works, is that for a house that is relatively new, the assessed value will almost always the be sales price when the home was built. When the next re-valuation occurs they will produce a formula for the neighborhood and apply it without doing an actual appraisal of each property. If a home owner disagrees with the valuation, they can appeal it. The last Mecklenburg assessment was in 2003. They are working on the new valuation process now and I expect that homeowners will be notified for the 2011 tax year. Keep in mind that regardless of the tax value of the home, they can change the tax rate each year.

Because it only happens every 8 years here, then normally the appraised value will be less than the sales price. HOWEVER, for the most part, Charlotte went through a Sunbelt type building boom that was stimulated by irresponsible credit lending. Many new, "McMansions" are falling below their tax value and the prices have not stopped falling. You should be aware, and this bears repeating from the post that I made above, that in the price ranges you are looking at, prices are dropping at a pretty good rate. This would most certainly be in areas with large numbers of transplants, and the Ballentyne area is an example of a place at risk. There are plenty of posts here where this has been discussed so I won't go through it again except to say that if you have to buy in this price range, get closer to Charlotte 4 and stay there. Sprawing suburban neighborhoods hugging loop roads are most at risk.

Finally what you asked for about Catholic churches was not answered above. What was described to you were large Churches that were designed to be driven to. There are no predominately Catholic neighborhoods in Charlotte and because there is a large Catholic suburban church nearby, there will be a 1/2 dozen ones from other faiths as well. IMO, I don't think it really matters here, but I just wanted to let you know it won't be anything close to what I assume you are referring to in the NE. I think I read somewhere there may be ~60K Catholics in the Charlotte area, but keep in mind this metro has 2.2M people.

Last edited by lumbollo; 04-19-2010 at 05:31 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 AM

622 posts, read 1,587,238 times
You might want to consider South Carolina to meet your needs. We live in Lake Wylie which is 20 miles to the center of Charlotte. and 12 miles to the airport.

There are a number of communities that offer what you are looking for and the schools are highly rated;

Here is are links to 2 of the communities to give you an idea of the area:

The Landing on Lake Wylie - Home Page

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

There is a new Catholic Church about a mile from these communities:

All Saints Lake Wylie

As we are an unincorporated area of York County we do not pay city taxes. The taxes on a $350,000 home would be $1,694.

Hope this gives you an overview of the possibilities.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:25 PM

441 posts, read 1,070,229 times
Default There are 2 Catholic middle school in our area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM08 View Post
As far as Catholic schools, there are several Catholic elementary schools, but only one middle school (Holy Trinity on Park Road) and one high school (Charlotte Catholic on Pineville-Matthews Road).
Actually, people tend to forget about North Charlotte/Hunterville/Cornelius. Not only is there a very large parish up that way with neighborhoods filled with Catholics (St. Mark Parish in Huntersville), there is also St. Thomas Aquanis in the University (near UNC Charlotte) area, which is a bit more diverse.

As for schools, again folks tend to forget or now know about the 'other' Catholic middle school. St. Mark Catholic school is k-8, thus housing a very nice and small Catholic middle school. It is a part of the Mecklenburg Area Catholic Schools system.

That being said, there is only 1 Catholic high school and it is south, as stated in the quote above. There is 'talk' of building on north of the city, but the final decision has not been made. So, if you live North and go to St. Mark, they will have to take the Catholic school bus to the high school...as many kids do.

T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte