Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 04:19 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times

Advertisements

We are considering getting a goldendoodle and went on the site puppyfind.com. I spoke with a breeder about the puppies he has, and he (breeder) seems ok. I'd like to know if there is a way to confirm that the breeder is a reputable one: maybe a site to check?

Also if anyone has recommendations on rescue or others to get goldendoodle puppies that would be appreciated too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 04:38 PM

272 posts, read 785,805 times
I would try Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder Don't encourage breeders.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:13 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,360,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDREAMING View Post
I would try Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder Don't encourage breeders.
And you can get a purebread sometimes because you can search by breed.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:53 PM

63 posts, read 268,090 times
I third the petfinder recommendation. There are so many shelter dogs that need homes, and since you mentioned a rescue dog this would be the perfect place to start. Don't get hung up on a specific breed just because of an image - make sure it fits your lifestyle as far as exercise, temperment, etc.

I'm not a fan of these so-called "designer breeds" that are really just glorified mutts, but if you are set on getting one, first ask for references from other people who have bought puppies from them. From what I've seen from some quick research, a goldendoodle can't be considered "purebred" unless its lineage goes back for 7 generations. Additionally, you'll want medical histories of the dogs to check for genetic diseases (since some breeds are prone to defects like hip displaysia). And then you should visit the breeder before you bring a puppy home to check out the facilities, meet the dogs, etc.

Please please please do not buy from someone who is breeding expensive dogs out of their backyard just as a quick way to make money or running a puppy mill. If more people would be responsible dog shoppers there would be fewer dogs in shelters.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:46 AM

587 posts, read 1,624,558 times
I understand your desire to have a specific breed of dog. That is a good way to find the traits you are looking for in a pet. I also recommend trying petfinder.com first. There are so many wonderful dogs, yes "purebred" dogs too, that are homeless and are in desperate need of a good home. You can search by breed. If goldendoodle isn't an option on petfinder, I would search under golden retriever and you will likely find some goldendoodles there. I know as many people who purchased from a breeder who have both health and behavior problems as people who have adopted their pet. If you are set on buying from a breeder, please go see where their breeding dogs are kept to make sure you are not buying from a 'puppy mill' masquerading as a reputable breeder. Don't just look at the puppies when you go - ask them to take you on a tour of the property - where they house their breeding dogs, etc. If they won't do that, you will know there is a problem. You can find videos of the horrors of puppy mills on youtube.com - just search for puppy mills. The last thing you want to do is support something like that without knowing it! Good Luck in your search for!!

Old 04-21-2010, 06:08 AM

595 posts, read 1,622,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
We are considering getting a goldendoodle and went on the site puppyfind.com. I spoke with a breeder about the puppies he has, and he (breeder) seems ok. I'd like to know if there is a way to confirm that the breeder is a reputable one: maybe a site to check?
Look up the address of the breeder on Google Maps. If they live in a trailer, then there is 100% chance that they are a puppy mill.

Got our Goldendoodle from Corinth Doodles
Pricey, but they are a good breeder.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:06 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
Thanks for all the replies. I will probably be heading to a shelter this week just to scope things out. We are pretty new in our plans for this (although we've talked about getting another dog since our beloved pet died last May, before we moved), so right now I'm mostly gathering information and taking it slow with the final plans.

The only reason I'd hesitate about a shelter or rescue is b/c we have small children, and I'd be concerned about getting a dog who was abused before and somehow does not adjust to normal family/kid activities. I know most dogs do fine with a second home, but I have known a few who just did not make it and would be concerned about taking that chance.

It's such a huge decision either way

Old 04-21-2010, 08:07 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,216 times
I would also steer you clear of a designer dog--if you are thinking of a goldendoodle for allergy reasons why not just get a poodle?

Here are the things I would ask:

1. Health testing--have the parents had it, specifically for things that may be wrong with the breed (in some this might be eyes, elbows, hips etc).

2. Are the parents both champions of some kind--either sport, conformation (if there is one for designer dogs), therapy work etc?

3. How many breeds do they deal in, how many litters of puppies a year--do they have a waiting list (most good breeders only deal in 1 or 2 breeds, have few litters and have long waiting lists for puppies).

4. Do they have recommendations from their local vet--from other puppy buyers?

5. Is there a spay/neuter contract (there should be for most of the pups) also if the pup doesn't work out (health wise, etc) will they take the pup back (they should).

In the end there are a ton of questions to ask...

Old 04-21-2010, 08:09 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,216 times
I got my dog as a puppy (10 wks) and granted I don't have kids but he hates them! The dog I got at 1 year of age doesn't mind them--it's a crapshoot either way.

Also you can get puppies from many shelters--also most good shelters will take a dog back if they don't work out.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,017,802 times
How the dog will do with kids is GREATLY affected by the breeding and temperament of the dog.

The best part about working with a rescue or shelter is they have members that can help match your family with the right dog. Dogs in foster get a chance to be evaluated to great length, introduced to different environments, and medical taken care of.

Best advice, especially going to the shelter, is LISTEN to what they have to say. They know the animals better than you do. I was at the shelter a while back and one of the workers was telling me a bout a Jack Russell was returned after a week. The adopter didn't listen to them when they said the dog was not a good fit for their home, but they took the dog anyway. The dog came back a week later because, guess what, it wasn't a good fit. No good for the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte