Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:28 PM

841 posts, read 2,475,512 times

Advertisements

I have friends coming down to visit me from NYC and Massachusetts this summer and they want to go to Myrtle Beach - they've never been there before. I've only been to Myrtle 1 time since moving down here from NYC - but I hear from a lot of co-workers that there are way better beaches out here than Myrtle. I've heard about Wilmington and the Outerbanks. I have never visited any of those beaches, but would like to. I guess what I want to know is what beach do you recommend (no more than 3-5 hours away) that has beautiful beaches and somewhat of a good nightlife? We are all in our late 20's to early 30's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 03:38 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,063 times
There's not really a lot of nightlife on NC beaches. Wilmington is nice and has a pretty beach and a beautiful, sort of quaint southern town feel to it. Obx is pretty far away from Charlotte for a quick beach trip, IMO. You could always try Charleston. To actually go to the beach you'd have to stay in Isle of Palms or Folly Beach, but downtown Charleston is so close by for nightlife, great restaurants, and beautiful historic scenery.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:53 PM

38 posts, read 116,012 times
what i have seen and heard is most beaches are really good for relaxing
not a big sandy beach variety but enough to enjoy
myrtle itself the beach is small and narrow between the high-rises and the ocean
therefore it gets congested
but if you are looking for action geared to visitors/college type fun myrtle is the best bet
if you are looking for restaurants/scenic/historic charleston is the best
if you are looking for quietness and peace and just sun and waves look for areas not so popular
and also wish for some luck as most vacations however you plan could turn out differently

Old 04-21-2010, 04:02 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,210,698 times
I am from Myrtle Beach and I would not go there for a vacation these days. I would recommend that you find a beach near Charleston and go there. Charleston has a lot of stuff to do, great nightlife, history and the beaches there are not thronging with thugs, lowlife, and trailer trash. Some suggestions would be Isle of Palms, Folly Beach, or a little further out Seabrook and Kiawah. If you are looking to rent a place for a week and want some seclusion, then head for Edisto Beach.

The beaches in NC are nice, but they are a long drive from Charlotte in comparison.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:20 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I am from Myrtle Beach and I would not go there for a vacation these days. I would recommend that you find a beach near Charleston and go there. Charleston has a lot of stuff to do, great nightlife, history and the beaches there are not thronging with thugs, lowlife, and trailer trash. Some suggestions would be Isle of Palms, Folly Beach, or a little further out Seabrook and Kiawah. If you are looking to rent a place for a week and want some seclusion, then head for Edisto Beach.

The beaches in NC are nice, but they are a long drive from Charlotte in comparison.
I didn't know you were from MB too, Lumbollo! Have we talked about that before?

We still go to MB for vacation b/c we know exactly where to go, what to do, and how to save money in the process. I completely disagree that the beach there is "thronging with thugs, lowlife, and trailer trash". The only part we avoid is Myrtle Beach proper (from about the Air Force Base north to 38th ave) due to crowds. You do see some rednecks in that area, but it's not like a giant trailer park on sand.

If you decide to go to MB, try the beaches north of 48th (our favorite is between 76th and 82nd ave. N.), or down in Surfside. They tend to be cleaner, less crowded, and more enjoyable.

The other beaches Lum recommended in Charleston are also excellent choices!

Old 04-21-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
.... The only part we avoid is Myrtle Beach proper (from about the Air Force Base north to 38th ave) due to crowds. You do see some rednecks in that area, but it's not like a giant trailer park on sand. ...
I suppose everyone has their definitions of what constitutes a nice place to go on vacation, but I notice that you have eliminated close to 60 blocks of Myrtle Beach as a place to stay so I rest my case on that. I don't disagree that 76th to 82 is not nice, but why travel all that distance just to be land locked up in that little area. This is why I recommended to the OP to go to Charleston based on their requirements.

On your earlier question, I was born in MB, and attended the public schools there. I've lived in Charlotte most of the time since, but still have lots of family down there. I spoke to my Mom just this week about the large amount of crime that is taking place there these days.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:36 PM

364 posts, read 1,167,921 times
We go to Isle of the Palms- is there a closer beach? I thought that was the closest- 3 hours 45 minutes from doorstep in Indian Trail to beach chair!

Old 04-21-2010, 04:37 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,908 times
Charleston is my favorite. How about Hilton Head? I am not sure how far that is from Charlotte, but it might work for you.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:10 PM

407 posts, read 851,595 times
On this forum I have seen Myrtle Beach referred to as "The Red-Neck Riviera." Google maps has MB 184 miles 4:03, Hilton Head 253 miles 4:11, and the Charleston beaches about 220 miles 3:40. The latter 2 further in miles but IMO much nicer plus you also have the cities of Charleston or Savannah close by.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:18 PM

Yeah, but Charleston is interstate the entire trip. There are no interstates going to Myrtle Beach and traffic is often backed up and difficult on the 4 lane highways headed there. Charleston is a faster trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte