U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2007, 12:08 PM

68 posts, read 163,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
My apologies, I didn't realize that. I just lumped them in with all the CMS issues, I guess.
well it is easy to do so!

MP/AG/Selwyn is an exception. it is practically one huge campus like a private school. The AP/IB programs in CMS are great. I did IB (international bacculaureate) in middle school & highschool. A few of the kids I grew up with & graduated with went on to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke etc. (not me haha)

UNC Alum here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 09:14 AM

192 posts, read 468,017 times
One of the biggest problems I have with CMS is the magnet schools. I used to live on a street where all the kids went to different schools. There were hard feelings between neighbors because "Skippy" got into so and so magnet school but Muffy didn't. I knew one person that rented an apt in an area of a desired school just so her daughter could go there! New people would move into the neighborhood and ask about the neighborhood school but no one could tell them anything because none of the kids went to the neighborhood school!
I chose a school district where there's not so many schools in the district and all of the schools get good marks. I don't have to worry about how and when the schools will be rezoned.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:17 AM

316 posts, read 20,886 times
Default Macaulay

Macualy is the neigborhood to live in with families - Everyone here is from up north - There are Yankee and RedSox parties. Everyone has kids mostly 8 and under - Most everyone (moms) stay at home - so you are never walking down the street with out someone to talk to with kids too. If you visit Charlotte - visit this neighborhood - The closeness of everyone is like nothing I have ever seen.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:23 AM

316 posts, read 20,886 times
Default Myers Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
My apologies, I didn't realize that. I just lumped them in with all the CMS issues, I guess.
I read this - it has nothing to do with academics or the safety of the schools - It rates the school on how much attention was given to the less privledge children and hw many of those graduated and went to college - you can also see the Garinger and Harding was on that list to - which made the whole article seem less crediable

Old 06-21-2007, 08:32 AM

192 posts, read 468,017 times
Default I'm glad someone else felt the same way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union county hopeful View Post
I read this - it has nothing to do with academics or the safety of the schools - It rates the school on how much attention was given to the less privledge children and hw many of those graduated and went to college - you can also see the Garinger and Harding was on that list to - which made the whole article seem less crediable
I read that article too and felt the same way. According to that article, Charlotte has FANTASTIC schools. Very misleading!!

Old 06-21-2007, 02:22 PM

241 posts, read 593,693 times
I definitely agree on the mislead article. I think that Olympic and Independence were on the list as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte