U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 06:47 PM

5 posts, read 9,665 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

New to the board and closing in a few months. We were both really excited until they had a major price reduction on the floorplans of $10,000. Yes more building has come out of this however it has lowered the overall value of the community right? Our plan that was originally 135k base is now $124k. Also, the new school will not be Rocky River, but they will be moving Independence students to the new school according to CMS Pupil Assignment. This was another reason we decided to move here. Can I get some opinions about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 07:34 PM

445 posts, read 1,023,419 times
I think builder's are discounting houses all over. While not a great situation, better than having them go bankrupt and leaving a half-developed neighborhood.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:41 PM

5 posts, read 9,665 times
I see your point, but for us as buyers who still have a choice where to buy I would hate to come in on a neighborhood and while each phase should be going up or at best staying the same in price; yet going down. We currently own a home so it's not pressing that we move. Definitely don't want to go from the skillet to hot grease. LOL! Just wondering if anyone heard anything about the area?? Advantages of huge communities vs. smaller communities. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:48 PM

364 posts, read 1,043,999 times
We live in a Centex/Pulte neighborhood and yes they have lowered the prices significantly but they have also significantly decreased in quality. Luckily, the sections of the "older homes" are all the same quality (at least that I can tell ) and they are putting the smaller, not as updated, and who knows what other shortcuts I can't see in the "newer section". I feel this helps to maintain the quality of the each street/section.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:56 AM

385 posts, read 768,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwally View Post
We live in a Centex/Pulte neighborhood and yes they have lowered the prices significantly but they have also significantly decreased in quality. Luckily, the sections of the "older homes" are all the same quality (at least that I can tell ) and they are putting the smaller, not as updated, and who knows what other shortcuts I can't see in the "newer section". I feel this helps to maintain the quality of the each street/section.
Too bad your "older" home will be comped to the garbage in "newer" section in the coming years. To the OP you have to be insane buying new construction now when there are so many deals out there on existing housing. That added to the fact that the builders now are indeed cutting corners. Don't walk away... RUN!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:48 PM

364 posts, read 1,043,999 times
Well, we have better lighting, cabinets, flooring, more sq. footage, etc, etc. What I don't know about is the quality of the wood/drywall/workmanship, etc. Centex and Pulte both have very strong reputations- so only time will tell....

Old 04-27-2010, 12:51 PM

148 posts, read 503,065 times
I live in Woodbury and the base price of my home when we bought last year was $151,990 and now the base price is $137,990. Back then they were doing $7000 in incentives plus $1500 for the "those who serve" incentive (teacher, military, police, etc.) so we got $8500 in "free" upgrades. From what I understand now, they are only assisting with closing costs and not offering any incentives. But, there are options available now that weren't available last year. I'm not too happy that the price of our home dropped, but we don't plan to move anytime soon either.

And new construction vs existing is a personal choice. There are such great deals on existing homes, because a lot of those homes dropped in value as well. In this market period, there is no guarantee that when you purchase a home it will retain its value, so really, does it matter if you buy existing or new construction? Some people prefer being the one and only owner of a home, having a 2 yr fit and finish warranty, and not inheriting other people's problems.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:40 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,498,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye37 View Post
Hello everyone,

New to the board and closing in a few months. We were both really excited until they had a major price reduction on the floorplans of $10,000. Yes more building has come out of this however it has lowered the overall value of the community right? Our plan that was originally 135k base is now $124k. Also, the new school will not be Rocky River, but they will be moving Independence students to the new school according to CMS Pupil Assignment. This was another reason we decided to move here. Can I get some opinions about this?
Don't let the price reductions ruin your excitement! This is your HOME, not just an investment - and having a home is cause for celebration

I think that as new communties go, especially in your price point, this one is very nice! Centex always does a good job in developing neighborhoods, I especially like how wide they make the streets. Woodbury is very convenient to I485 and Mint Hill is a nice little community to live in.

Honestly, there are not too many decent places in Charlotte where you can buy such a nice home for under $150,000, And at the $125,000 to $150,000 range you are sure to build some equity over the time you live there, as long as you don't plan to sell in the next couple of years

Here are a few pics I snapped as I passed there today for anyone interested in what the neighborhood looks like:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte