Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 03:18 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,662,495 times

Advertisements

No, I don't need a job but a report in the news today started me thinking about how one might go about changing careers in Charlotte.

The Elevator Repair Union in NYC opened the doors to a 2 year apprentice position today. The plan was to pass out 700 applications for 100 apprentices. Starting pay for the first 2 years is $14/hour. After the 2 years up to $40/hour. Ppl. started the line, sleeping in pup tents Friday afternoon for this opportunity. I believe some of the initiative came from a stimulus program, but I'm not 100% sure.

On tonite's public information station they interviewed several of the ppl. that rec'd the application. Of course, it's all good. To be able to change their careers for a job "that they can't outsource and it's not in a dead end job, is what I have been waiting for for 6 months. . ." (general comment).

I only post this as an brainstorming idea for those that might be willing to shift gears along these lines.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 06:59 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,982,598 times
Unfortunately, Pink, there are VERY FEW unions here. Most are actually based somewhere else (usually somewhere up north). Seriously doubt that they would be offering any internships here...

Old 04-26-2010, 08:17 PM

13 posts, read 23,035 times
There are unions here, but very few, and 9 out of 10 of those are in manufacturing or warehouses. You in the wrong part of the country for that. You might want to move somewhere up north like NY or IL.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:56 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,662,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrinch81 View Post
There are unions here, but very few, and 9 out of 10 of those are in manufacturing or warehouses. You in the wrong part of the country for that. You might want to move somewhere up north like NY or IL.
OK, maybe I will. NY, why would I move there?

lol.....guess he didn't read the OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte