Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 09:36 AM

5 posts, read 10,790 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am in my early thirties and live far below the poverty line. Recently some several decades old chest pressure/discomfort near my left ventricle/left shoulder has come back after some stressful events in my life.

Not only that but there was a incident for a few minutes last week when it felt like my heart was being forcefully squeezed down with radiating pressure up towards my shoulders.

It was painful but I'm not sure how I could have heart attacks at my age. I am a resident of SC, and I was wondering where are some sliding scale cardiologists so I can actually have this accurately diagnosed? I am taking CoQ-10 and know the standard treatments for angina but I really want to know what I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 AM

186 posts, read 604,372 times
Not to offer medical advice online, but here are my thoughts...
1) Ask your regular friends for their MD's office numbers, call them, and ask them what would it cost "cash upfront" to get a regular visit. Usually they are accomidating and will have a discount rate ~40%. (this does not include lab costs).
2) Depending on what county you live in, you can visit the health department for resources and financial help (if you qualify).
3) If you are in Meck county, you may be able to get in to see one of the clinics here (Myers Park, Eastland FP, Northpark).

Being a young 30yo it would be on the rarer side (very very very unlikely, although not impossible) that this would be from cardiac problems. I would STRONGLY suggest that you see an internist or family practioner first, before you shell out the $ to see a cardiologist.

Remember that there are lots of things that live in the chest (esophagus, pulmonary system, lymphatics, muscles, skeleton, nerves, spine), just because you have chest pain, it does NOT mean that it is your heart.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:28 AM

616 posts, read 1,751,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourassociate View Post
Hello,

I am in my early thirties and live far below the poverty line. Recently some several decades old chest pressure/discomfort near my left ventricle/left shoulder has come back after some stressful events in my life.

Not only that but there was a incident for a few minutes last week when it felt like my heart was being forcefully squeezed down with radiating pressure up towards my shoulders.

It was painful but I'm not sure how I could have heart attacks at my age. I am a resident of SC, and I was wondering where are some sliding scale cardiologists so I can actually have this accurately diagnosed? I am taking CoQ-10 and know the standard treatments for angina but I really want to know what I have.
You may not be able to directly see a cardiologist. Where do you live in SC?

There is a medical center in Gaffney, SC named Upstate Carolina, which is part of Novant (they are a not-for-profit operating Presbyterian in Charlotte as well as many other facilities). Here is their blurb:
A 125-bed community hospital in Cherokee County, SC, providing local residents with services in maternity, surgery, medical, emergency and intensive care. In addition, the hospital provides outpatient services including a pain clinic, bariatrics, wound care and sleep disorder studies.
Novant has very good charity care policies. You may want to call them (Upstate Carolina) and find out about their policies, and if you can come in and see a doctor. Here is their URL: Upstate Carolina Medical Center Even if they can't help, they can give you some other numbers to call.

Don't wait for this to become a flat-out emergency.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:11 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,200 times
Quote:
Hello,

Can you explain this further? What was this decades old chest pain diagnosed as or caused by if you didn't see an MD?
Also, what brought the pain on-was it exercise, after eating etc
Were you short of breath at the time of the discomfort?

Do you have diabetes, high Blood pressure or high cholesterol that you know of?

Could be angina or irregular heart beat or like the other poster said, could be something non-cardiac.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,183 times
Not sure if this helps or not, but.......

Years ago I was having massive chest pains. The pain slowly went into my left arm and my upper back. It was very difficult to speak. I thought my days were over. Went to the ER and after an overnight stay in hospital and numerous tests, they determined it was Acid Reflux. I was relieved and embarrassed, but you never know. It was unbearable pain.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:08 PM

595 posts, read 1,622,893 times
Quote:
It was painful but I'm not sure how I could have heart attacks at my age.
People younger than you have had heart attacks. Take it seriously.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 10,790 times
Quote:
Hello,

The symptoms match with Angina. They were never diagnosed but treated with CoQ-10, zinc, and niacin in my teens. They appeared around 13 and came and went over a few years cycles and disappeared around 27. They came back recently after I did intense physical labor at work dead-lifting weights from 30 to 60 pounds without a break in the sunlight. I've also had some bad news in real life to deal with.

Right now there is a intense pressure in my left ventricle on my chest underneath my left shoulder. It feels like the shirt is drawn uncomfortably tight but its just underneath the skin. I live in York County, near Highway 77. I am a short drive away from Charlotte even though I live in South Carolina.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:27 PM

616 posts, read 1,751,757 times
Well, if you have time to post on this forum, you have the time and capacity to walk yourself into an emergency room or medical center and get some help. This forum isn't the place for diagnosis or speculation. What are you doing to get yourself to a medical center?

Old 04-30-2010, 08:02 AM

186 posts, read 604,372 times
.....GO TO A REGULAR DOCTORS OFFICE AND GET A REGULAR APPOINTMENT TO BE SEEN.....do not "self diagnose" on the internet, do not get diagnosed from others on the internet....THERE ARE A HUNDRED REASONS TO HAVE CHEST PAIN....and like I said earlier....IT IS VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY UNLIKELY that this is due to true ischemic angina (stable or unstable)....is it possible???.... yes, but PROBABLE not really.

PLEASE TAKE MY ADVICE....go to a regular MD's office with a regular appointment and get seen BEFORE you get a $500 ER bill (minimum). Do mid 30's people get Myocardial Infarctions....yes, but almost always have a host of other reasons (genetic lipid disorders, previous infectious disease, renal failure, pregnancy complications etc).

Trust me as I do this EVERY DAY (over and over and over again).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte