Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:11 AM

68 posts, read 169,889 times

Advertisements

you would think with all these businesses closing there would be an abundance of available space to rent and would work to my advantage. yes, there is. but our favorite/popular franchises and big box stores have almost eliminated the opportunity for the little guy. every time i get excited about a location, only to find out a restriction has been placed preventing me from moving in. i completely understand that as a business owner, you have to protect yourself from competition, but come on already - give the little guy a chance, how much damage could we really do

thanks for letting me vent!

sincerely,
the little guy trying to bring business to charlotte

Last edited by kaya6; 04-28-2010 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 10:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
GOOD LUCK

Have faith, I strongly believe things are going to turn around in your favor.
People are realizing that buying cheaper foreign goods doesnt save them money
when they have to re-buy the items because it becomes defective or breaks.
Plus the lack of knowledge.

People (least I do) want that good quality product again and that one on one customer service you can only get from mom & pop type stores.

Keep good attitudes & the best recommendations (advertisement) you will get
is by word of mouth of praise of wonderful business you provide.
get from sm

Old 04-28-2010, 10:13 AM

68 posts, read 169,889 times
thanks for the encouraging words....

i remain confident and have to remind myself that things always have a way of working out
but it still doesn't help with my ongoing frustration

Old 04-28-2010, 12:43 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
GOOD LUCK

Have faith, I strongly believe things are going to turn around in your favor.
People are realizing that buying cheaper foreign goods doesnt save them money
when they have to re-buy the items because it becomes defective or breaks.
Plus the lack of knowledge.

People (least I do) want that good quality product again and that one on one customer service you can only get from mom & pop type stores.

Keep good attitudes & the best recommendations (advertisement) you will get
is by word of mouth of praise of wonderful business you provide.
get from sm
But are you willing to pay extra for it? I've been part of several focus groups on this issue, (and was in design/retail for a long time) and what was found in every group is that many people say they want A#1 service and products, but not nearly as many people are really willing to pay more to get it. This is why WalMart is the largest company in the world, why online businesses are doing so well, why warehouse companies and giant big-box retailers are crushing out the competition.

I have several friends who own small businesses in the area, and we've discussed this a million times. People come into their msall atores every day and basically say " I want ABC attention, service, and support, but I'm only willing to pay the online price of the XYZ product for it."

Ya can't have both.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:10 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
I agree when you pay the cheapest price you dont get the same as the high price items. However I bought a grinder for about 20 bucks (made in china) and have used it allot for over 10 years when the name brand made in USA grinder would have cost me 80 bucks or more. I dont really need a grinder that will last 50 years. One that will last 15 to 20 years for 1/4 the price is a bargin to me. Same with cars. Often the cheapo cars have engines that last as long or longer than the american ones costing much more. My uncle had a mattress company that had been in business for over 70 years. When the big boy companies became able to sell new ones for less than he had to pay for materials he closed up....

Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
The entire premise that Americans will forgo jobs in return for cheaply manufactured goods, i.e. that our economy is based on "consumption" rather than production is unwinding before our eyes. In fact it has already collapsed and what we are seeing now is a vast socialization of the problems that has been caused by with endless buyouts, credit being thrown at it, and the national debt being run up to levels that have no historic parallel. This too is unsustainable and is going to come down too.

The fact that it is possible to manufacture a grinder on the other side of the planet and ship it here in mass quantities at a price that puts all local mom and pops out of business is made possible by two items. The first is very cheap fossil fuel and this is coming to an end. I am not talking about running out of oil, I am talking about cheap oil. The second is the extension of rights to large multinational corporations, over individuals and small companies that shouldn't exist. For example, GE did not pay any income taxes last year despite the fact they made billions of dollars.

Time will tell I guess, but I think it should be coming clear to anyone that the economy we had over the last 30 years won't be the model we have at the end of the next 30. On the OP's question, it's lunacy that empty shopping centers have restrictions on who they will rent to. Once they get busted however that will also change.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:28 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
It is sad how all of these big box stores Roll Back Prices while Rolling Over the Little Guy.

Good luck to you Kaya6....what kind of business are you looking to open

Old 04-29-2010, 04:48 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
nothing against the mom-and-pop, but, my dollar is very limited. I have to buy the cheapest item at the place that sells them at the best price.

Besides, I rarely go INTO a store anymore. (except for groceries) Simply do not have the time and, it's cheaper.

Maybe an online store is the way to go? Lower overhead means that you can price things better....

Old 04-29-2010, 05:23 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,266 times
"Mom & Pops" are the reason for the creation of big box chains. If you can do it better,
and you know you can, why do you think there is not an opportunity? Once you make
the niche' grow or sell it to the master degreed business genius.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:06 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
I have never understood the whole "WalMart rolled over the little guy" attitude. They have a business, have been exceedingly successful and have expanded. That sounds like the American Way to me. If you have a small store you have to find some way to distinguish yourself from them. If you can't then that is just the way the cookie crumbles. Sometimes you succeed and sometimes you don't. Small businesses closing due to wildly successful "box stores" is not part of some Machiavellian plan to smash the little guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte