Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 PM

97 posts, read 369,787 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Just want to share my Charlotte story with those of you who will visit here in the near future.

We arrived here on Friday night and spend Saturday at Lake Norman, what a pretty place! People here are super nice. We looked at several new construction on Sunday and they are amazing. We can't wait to move here. We saw the centex homes, shea homes and troll brothers homes in union. Wow, is all I can say...

But on Monday morning, as we are ready to get going, we found out our car has been broken into (smashed driver side window, since they cann't open the lock, the lock has been damaged as well) and the GPS that we borrowed from a friend has been stolen. We stayed at Sheraton which is off route 77-exit 6A. We reported to the lobby and was told the hotel is not responsible for any vechile damage and stolen property, because these are too common in Charlotte and there's not enough police to come out here to investigate the scene. We called the police and got the case #, and contact our own insurance company. We have to drive the car to an autobody shop to repair. What an experience. We are coming from NY and we never had these issues back at home. Can any one give us any suggestions as to if the hotel is responsible for this or not since the car was parked at the hotels parking lot (they had a sign stating the owner takes all the risks), but the room safe is not working (told them to fix it on Friday and never fixed it until the incident!)

For those of you who plan to stay at this hotel, please think twice before you make the reservation, the room safe is not working, the desk lamp has no light bulb, the ac is not funcioning well (room temp was 82, and after 1 hour of ac, the temp. reduced to 81.5). So many things are broken here, the maids do not change the beddding after I left a change card on the bed... so on and so on... But, I do love Charlotte/NC and can't wait to move here...

Ok, got to go, talk to you guys soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 05:47 AM

755 posts, read 2,492,208 times
There is no police protection in Charlotte. Our car was stolen and they never even came out here. When it was recovered, they dragged their feet about processing and releasing it so we had to eat an extra $150 storage fee.

When someone tried to break into our home at 3:00 am. It took 25 minutes and 3 calls to 911 before someone came.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:13 AM

414 posts, read 1,380,668 times
Did you leave the gps in plain sight? If you did that is why they destroyed the car trying to get into it.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:41 AM

192 posts, read 687,190 times
I'm so sorry you had that bad experience on your first visit to Charlotte. There are some bad areas in Charlotte just like any city. I'm trying to place Exit 6 in my mind. That's not the best area for leaving your car outside and unprotected. Hotel parking lots are pretty fair game but being a Sheraton, you'd think they would have some sort of night watch. I'm glad the rest of your trip went ok.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:58 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Exit 6 one up from Tyvola

Old 06-12-2007, 07:01 AM

157 posts, read 529,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
There is no police protection in Charlotte. Our car was stolen and they never even came out here. When it was recovered, they dragged their feet about processing and releasing it so we had to eat an extra $150 storage fee.

When someone tried to break into our home at 3:00 am. It took 25 minutes and 3 calls to 911 before someone came.
If your'e a homeowner, you gotta take matters into your own hands. Just remember, if you have a chance to shoot the robber, take no mercy. The justice system will have them back on the streets and they will rob you again.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:06 AM

29 posts, read 103,286 times
What hotel did you stay in? I will be comming in 2 weeks and don't want to stay there
Thanks

Old 06-12-2007, 07:09 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
I would not stay at hotel anywhere in that area. I work near there and it's ok during the day, but nighttime is completely different.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:17 AM

245 posts, read 1,019,510 times
It has been reported on the news recently that thieves are punching out windows and stealing gps units. Apparently this is happening a lot.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:17 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
I was told when coming to charlotte for the first time not to stay in the hotels around 77 south, so me being me took a drive into that area during the day and at night.

as groove1 says nightime is completely different.

I stayed in the marriot @ southpark got rate rates for the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte