Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 07:32 PM

10 posts, read 16,694 times

Advertisements

I am a young twenty something professional moving into the Charlotte area and will be working right next to the South Park Mall. I have been searching and reading and a little posting on this forum-its been a wealth of knowledge... Thanks for everything...

Question is: I recently toured Dilworth Camden- Was very impressed with everything, they lacked availability but I was told this was about to change here in coming months. I was quoted a little over a grand per month for a one bedroom 800sq apartment. I would like to spend slightly less than that- maybe a grand a month with rent and all utilities.

I liked the area around it and its a quick commute to work in South Park but is there any other similar places where young professional live? I keep going back and forth with living uptown or not. Susgestions? I dont have to move right now as I currently live south of Charlotte in South Carolina but would like to make the move soon.

Whats everyones REAL opinion on Camden Dilworth Apartments and not what the out dated online reviews say?

PLEASE advise..

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 AM

Anything will help...

Old 04-30-2010, 10:39 AM

461 posts, read 981,849 times
There are 2 apt communities right down the road on Quail Hollow, just past the Harris Y, 1.5 miles from the mall. Off the top of my head, I think they are The Hamptons and Alexander Place. Check those out. I am in the Quail Hill condos right across from the Harris Y. I've been here for 4 years, and my wife and her family have been here for 15+ years. You can't beat the location.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:27 AM

I am just hesitant about living so close to where I work as I would have no reason to go anywhere else. Any other thoughts or susgestions... I know everyone feels this topic has been beat to deal but please assist.
Thanks

Old 04-30-2010, 01:58 PM

310 posts, read 1,697,417 times
I don't have any direct knowledge about Camden Dilworth but $1000 for a one-bedroom 800 sq ft apt? That's too high compared to most rental prices lately for that size unit! For that price, instead of a one-bedroom apt, you could rent from a private owner and get a whole house or a great 2-bedroom private condo in a nice, convenient location (South Charlotte, Sedgefield, Madison Park.) Are you originally from an expensive area such as NYC, Boston or California? Then $1000/mth for an 800 sq ft one-bedroom apt might seem like a good price, a low rental amount to you (and maybe they saw you coming!), but IMO, it's NOT a great rent price currently for that size unit here in Charlotte. In case you're not aware of it, during the past 2 years since the economic downturn, rents in this city have definitely decreased, they're WAY down compared to 2007 - 2008. As a renter myself, I've witnessed this directly because I was looking for an apt in Charlotte exactly 2 yrs ago (in 2008) and have continued viewing/comparing rental prices since then (even after renting my current 2bdrm/2bath condo in Southpark from a private owner starting in November 2008 for $900/mth with water/cable included-- and a few months later this owner would have been lucky to get as much as $850/mth for this particular unit since it's not recently renovated!)

Many of the two-bedroom units for rent I looked at in 2008 (in South Charlotte as well as nice areas of Dilworth & Myers Park) were priced over $1000/mth. Today, these same units would rent for $900/mth or less, some for closer to $800/mth. There's been a similar drop in rental prices for one-bedrooms. (This is for apts in complexes as well as privately owned apts and condos.) I'd suggest that you spend more time viewing/comparing rental prices by searching online (Craigslist, rent.com, etc.) as well as viewing newspaper listings (Charlotte Observer, etc.) These days, supply exceeds demand so it's a renter's market (similar to the buyer's market with house/condo purchases.) In fact, there's been such a vacancy rate recently at nice apartment complexes that they've been offering lots of discounts to new renters, including free months of rent as well as other incentives-- there was an article a while ago about this in the Charlotte Observer? (Maybe someone else can find that link?)

Also, there's been a large supply of houses for sale where private owners can't get the price they'd like & are putting these houses into the rental market rather than selling at lower prices, renting them out for the time being till purchase prices go up. This adds to the supply of rental units in the city plus the lower rental prices for large houses leads to decreases in all rental prices! For example, when I was searching in 2008, it was very difficult to find any nice houses to rent in an area such as Dilworth or Myers Park for less than $1500 per month but lately I've seen more large homes listed there for about $1000/mth (or even lower) -- this makes paying $1000/mth for a a one-bdrm apt seem way too high!

Don't know exactly what you're looking for, but instead of paying top dollar for the Camden Dilworth one-bedroom apt, do more searching, make more phone calls, view more rentals & I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Old 05-02-2010, 10:13 AM

7 posts, read 21,174 times
Depends upon your lifestyle, I myself am more of a Midwood/NoDa gal. Great food, live music venues etc. but can be a bit on the edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: