U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:51 AM

348 posts, read 1,248,155 times

Advertisements

I have a friend back home in NY that is considering moving down here to FINALLY get away from the SOB that she has been with for too many years (He's the reason I'm asking this). Due to being with him, she got caught up in a check cashing scheme that resulted in her conivction of a felony larceny charge (it is labeled class D non violent if that means anything). She was sentenced to 5 years probation and released after 2 1/2 (he wasn't so lucky and is locked up for 3 years-up to this point she's been 'waiting' for him, but has now come to her senses)
She has not had any problems working in NY (administrative) because of personal contacts or people just not checking.

So the question is, how likely are emplyers to check you criminal history. I have 2 jobs here in Charlotte and 1 did a check one didn't. Our apartment complex did a check as well.

Are the checks normal and to expected? How far back is checked?

Thanks in advance. The timing on this is important because he is scheduled to be released in September and she wants to be gone from NY by then.

Last edited by NewToYorkSC; 06-12-2007 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 06-12-2007, 09:59 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,428,233 times
It depends on your industry. In my industry, jobs are highly competitive and you cannot even have been arrested in most cases, let alone convicted, of even a misdemeanor, let alone a felony.

It sounds like your friend is in the administrative field. She can forget applying at any banking, mortgage, or finance companies. That being said, there are other admin jobs out there that do not have such stringent policies. She should probably look at smaller companies or go through a hiring agency.

She needs to not get frustrated and realize that she will have problems finding jobs and rentals for the rest of her life with a felony conviction. If one person says no, she needs to keep chugging along until she gets a yes...and she needs to stay away from men with severe issues.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:07 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,785,456 times
NC employers usually go back 7 years sometimes 10 (unless it's a govt job they check everything). It is actually best in most situations to be honest about it. NC is actually pretty forgiving for felons, for example, once you serve your time, you are considered a citizen an can vote, but of course you cannot ever carry a firearm. However, NC does not have a way to expunge felony convictions, and NY state does, so she may want to consider that. NC is alos VERY strict on check cashing, bad checks, etc so that may affect her. Passing a bad check here and getting caught will lead to time served.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
It depends on your industry. In my industry, jobs are highly competitive and you cannot even have been arrested in most cases, let alone convicted, of even a misdemeanor, let alone a felony.

It sounds like your friend is in the administrative field. She can forget applying at any banking, mortgage, or finance companies. That being said, there are other admin jobs out there that do not have such stringent policies. She should probably look at smaller companies or go through a hiring agency.

She needs to not get frustrated and realize that she will have problems finding jobs and rentals for the rest of her life with a felony conviction. If one person says no, she needs to keep chugging along until she gets a yes...and she needs to stay away from men with severe issues.

I know her taste in men has been horrible. I keep telling her how much I love it here that now she is thinking that it may be a good place to 'start over'.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:32 AM

3,819 posts, read 5,200,893 times
Most employers, in my experience, run back ground checks. I currently work as an ACSM in a Kroger store, and we can not let a person even do computer training unless their background check came back clean. With a charge like that, we would not be able to hire her. So, she may have some difficulty. Maybe things like food-service would hire her. But, anything working with $ is highly unlikely.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:55 AM

73 posts, read 400,088 times
I really understand what you folks are saying. Its just so bad when a person is trying to get her or his life together and they cannot get a break. What should she do? Go back to crime? When will folks learn to give second chances? I am stunned that someone said even if you are arrested and found not guilty you would have diffilculty!!! Thats crazy! If an innocent person is arrested and the charges are dropped because it was all made up or wrong, and they have NO CRIMINAL RECORD, why would they be penalized?

Old 06-13-2007, 08:04 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,428,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln S View Post
I am stunned that someone said even if you are arrested and found not guilty you would have diffilculty!!! Thats crazy! If an innocent person is arrested and the charges are dropped because it was all made up or wrong, and they have NO CRIMINAL RECORD, why would they be penalized?
There are certain industries that are so highly competitive and start salaries in the 80s and 90s that they will use anything to weed people out. This includes arrests, regardless of the outcome. I know of someone who accidentally put his GPA as 3.9 when it was 3.7 on his resume and the company found out on the background check and turned him down.

That being said, OP's friend is likely not looking at those types of jobs, anyway. Every application, even at the Gap, asks if you have been convicted of a crime. However, as I posted before, I think OP's friend needs to look at a smaller company and not take "no" for an answer and she'll be ok!

Old 06-13-2007, 08:09 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,785,456 times
In Mecklenburg, it is really easy to find if someone has been arrested, regardless of guilt. If they were arrested in Meck, it goes on website as public info.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:40 PM

928 posts, read 3,534,796 times
This post is interesting. In most cases it can go either way for your friend.
Either she can be find someone whose compassionate and caring as Kmway said, or she could find a stigma and another set of issues she's not prepared to deal with. I don't know anything about the legal system, but a felony is pretty serious. I don't think it matters if it was a financial check scheme that brought her down, but it shows that the risk and temptation is there.

I know you cannot work in childcare if you have a criminal history. Many companies see this as a red flag and will definitly use it to 'weed' out people.
I'd advise to let your friend be a big girl and find her own way. She may need to fall alittle more and get back up on her own. You cannot do it for her. She can apply and try to secure a job before she moves down and this would give her a better perspective as to where she stands. I beleive many apartment companies check criminal backgrounds too, unless you find a private owner who doesn't care.

Good Luck to your friend. Starting over is very difficult.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
This post is interesting. In most cases it can go either way for your friend.
Either she can be find someone whose compassionate and caring as Kmway said, or she could find a stigma and another set of issues she's not prepared to deal with. I don't know anything about the legal system, but a felony is pretty serious. I don't think it matters if it was a financial check scheme that brought her down, but it shows that the risk and temptation is there.

I know you cannot work in childcare if you have a criminal history. Many companies see this as a red flag and will definitly use it to 'weed' out people.
I'd advise to let your friend be a big girl and find her own way. She may need to fall alittle more and get back up on her own. You cannot do it for her. She can apply and try to secure a job before she moves down and this would give her a better perspective as to where she stands. I beleive many apartment companies check criminal backgrounds too, unless you find a private owner who doesn't care.

Good Luck to your friend. Starting over is very difficult.

Thanks for the feedback. My issue is that I am building a home, my husband and I have good jobs here. Not trying to be selfish, but I don't want her coming here and needing a babysitter. That's why I want to be able to give her the info PRIOR to her coming down. After all is said and done, my thoughts are for her to stay put.

Thanks again to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte