U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 10:37 AM

2,148 posts, read 3,672,921 times

Advertisements

I tried to reorder some contacts and my last prescription is 4/20/09, the vender said they could not fill without a new prescription. Under a new law your prescription is good for a minimum of one year. To me (one year) this seems extreme, good for doctor's biz though. I have 50 yr old eyes and I don't expect my eyesight changes all that much. It's more an inconvenience than the extra cost of seeing a doctor. Anyone know if there is a way around this law or site to order online? I have checked a couple websites that sell contacts and they check with your doctor for current prescription. Why does gov't have to control so much of our life??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 10:49 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I tried to reorder some contacts and my last prescription is 4/20/09, the vender said they could not fill without a new prescription. Under a new law your prescription is good for a minimum of one year. To me (one year) this seems extreme, good for doctor's biz though. I have 50 yr old eyes and I don't expect my eyesight changes all that much. It's more an inconvenience than the extra cost of seeing a doctor. Anyone know if there is a way around this law or site to order online? I have checked a couple websites that sell contacts and they check with your doctor for current prescription. Why does gov't have to control so much of our life??
I know it is frustrating, and you are probably right that in most cases all it does is produce more repeat business for the doctor.

BUT, it is also very important to have your eyes checked yearly. You may not be aware that other medical conditions can sometimes be diagnosed or at least suspected during an eye exam. And the older your eyes get the more things there are that can go wrong. If you aren't having them checked yearly some kind of condidtion could occur that might even lead to irreversable blindness

Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,481,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Why does gov't have to control so much of our life??
Because people would rather have a nanny than be responsible for themselves.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:38 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,029,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I know it is frustrating, and you are probably right that in most cases all it does is produce more repeat business for the doctor.

BUT, it is also very important to have your eyes checked yearly. You may not be aware that other medical conditions can sometimes be diagnosed or at least suspected during an eye exam. And the older your eyes get the more things there are that can go wrong. If you aren't having them checked yearly some kind of condidtion could occur that might even lead to irreversable blindness
That may be true but I don't like laws that MAKE people get eye exams when they don't want to. There is no such law that forces people who don't wear corrective lenses to get eye exams and they should also get their eyes checked regularly, unless they are somehow immune from the medical conditions that could cause blindness...???

I recommend a yearly eye exam but know it isn't always needed. Our kids go yearly or more often as needed, DH and I have fairly consistent prescriptions so we go when needed or every other year. I think the expiration on glasses is 2 years but we order on-line and it is never asked.
OP, next time remember to reorder before your prescription expires and you can get another year of lenses if you don't want/need a new exam.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:13 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,570,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
That may be true but I don't like laws that MAKE people get eye exams when they don't want to. There is no such law that forces people who don't wear corrective lenses to get eye exams and they should also get their eyes checked regularly, unless they are somehow immune from the medical conditions that could cause blindness...???

I recommend a yearly eye exam but know it isn't always needed. Our kids go yearly or more often as needed, DH and I have fairly consistent prescriptions so we go when needed or every other year. I think the expiration on glasses is 2 years but we order on-line and it is never asked.
OP, next time remember to reorder before your prescription expires and you can get another year of lenses if you don't want/need a new exam.
I don't disagree with you at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte