U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:31 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,565,697 times

Advertisements

I was out this morning from about 7:30 riding a standup jetski on Mountain Island Lake right near the 16 bridge. If any of you have tried to ride one of these things, you know you wind up doing about as much swimming as riding in the beginning.

A fuel truck driver called 911 and reported a capsized canoe or johnboat and the next thing you know I see Fire Rescue with their boat on the ramp being backed in. I ride over and talk to them and we figure out that the call was in reference to me (and my lack of riding skills ). I ride around looking for a capsized boat just to be sure. Nothing anywhere I could see.

Next thing I know, I see Gaston EMS, NC Wildlife, a fire truck and a couple other responders' vehicles.

I have to applaud them for their response even though it was a fasle alarm. They took it seriously and went out and conducted a search and were very friendly throughout. We stood around and talked for a few minutes.

I'd also like to thank the alert truck driver for calling. It could have just as easily been a real emergency. If you read this, you are a good citizen and I'll buy you a beer, or whatever you drink, if we cross paths.

I've never really put a lot of thought into what those lake rescue guys do and have to put up with until this morning, but I'm glad they are there for when its a real emergency. Maybe I'll give you guys a call the next time I go out just in case someone calls in.

My hat is off to all of you guys and gals. Keep up the excellent work.

-Spanky's "Can't Ride a Standup Worth a Flip" BBQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 09:39 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,983,828 times
That is amazing. I know you felt awful that you were the subject of the intense effort, but I agree with you that it is indeed comforting to know how quickly-and in what numbers!-a rescue effort can be put together if needed.

Were you out there by yourself??? Maybe it would be a good idea to have someone out there with you (shoreside, perhaps) if there is gonna be a lot of "flailing around" going on, LOL.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:42 AM

There was a guy out there fishing if that counts.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:49 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,983,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
There was a guy out there fishing if that counts.
It counts, especially if he has a cell phone.

I only wish you had video of your antics to post. Might make the rest of us feel better about our own incidents w/ "flailing around."

Old 05-06-2010, 10:03 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,702,863 times
Wait till you get the bill for your "rescue."

Old 05-06-2010, 10:17 AM

I asked a paramedic if I was going to get a bill for it. He laughed.

Should I be concerned? lol

I'll see if I can post the pictures I took from my cell phone.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:27 AM

I didn't get a picture of all of the vehicles as a couple had left by the time I was able to get back to my truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Hats off to the Mtn. Island rescue personnel!-boat-ramp-2.jpg   Hats off to the Mtn. Island rescue personnel!-boat-ramp-1.jpg   Hats off to the Mtn. Island rescue personnel!-boat-ramp-3.jpg  

Old 05-06-2010, 11:15 AM

45,269 posts, read 89,631,502 times
Quote:
I was out this morning from about 7:30 riding a standup jetski on Mountain Island Lake right near the 16 bridge. If any of you have tried to ride one of these things, you know you wind up doing about as much swimming as riding in the beginning.

A fuel truck driver called 911 and reported a capsized canoe or johnboat and the next thing you know I see Fire Rescue with their boat on the ramp being backed in. I ride over and talk to them and we figure out that the call was in reference to me (and my lack of riding skills ). I ride around looking for a capsized boat just to be sure. Nothing anywhere I could see.

Next thing I know, I see Gaston EMS, NC Wildlife, a fire truck and a couple other responders' vehicles.

I have to applaud them for their response even though it was a fasle alarm. They took it seriously and went out and conducted a search and were very friendly throughout. We stood around and talked for a few minutes.

I'd also like to thank the alert truck driver for calling. It could have just as easily been a real emergency. If you read this, you are a good citizen and I'll buy you a beer, or whatever you drink, if we cross paths.

I've never really put a lot of thought into what those lake rescue guys do and have to put up with until this morning, but I'm glad they are there for when its a real emergency. Maybe I'll give you guys a call the next time I go out just in case someone calls in.

My hat is off to all of you guys and gals. Keep up the excellent work.

-Spanky's "Can't Ride a Standup Worth a Flip" BBQ
What an awesome response! Glad you really were okay though

Hey, I dare you to change your status under your name to "Can't ride a standup worth a flip", LOLOLOLOLOL

Old 05-06-2010, 12:32 PM

Loves.....Done.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:33 PM

45,269 posts, read 89,631,502 times
Quote:
Loves.....Done.

LOVE IT! That's so funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte