Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:36 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,539,806 times

Advertisements

We've disturbed or uncovered about 4 snakes in our yard since March.Our cat was very interested in one of them.
Very small ones, none black. Most played dead, but one was literally tying himself up in knots.
Difficult to identify what they are when they're so small.

Last year we saw some slightly bigger ones.

I'm more concerned about spiders, ants, ticks and boring bees to be honest.

We do have a lot of wooded areas in our yard and the vacant lot next door is very heavily wooded. Our neighbor the other way says he's never seen any snakes in 2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 10:01 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,317,241 times
I've lived here for 3+ years and have yet to see a snake. However, I don't expect I would in Ayrsley...

Old 05-07-2010, 10:32 AM

117 posts, read 294,815 times
The pure terror some people get when faced with a snake is so unwarranted. Most will avoid you at all costs and even the cocky ones(the vipers aka copperheads, rattlesnakes and other semi venomous) at the very least will alert you of thier where abouts if you get to close. I keep harmless snakes as a hobby although I wouldnt quite call them pets they can easily become accustomed to being around humans. Snakes take care of the rodent and other pests problems some areas have. They are a good thing! Be smart, learn about them, learn to live with them and in the chance occasion you do find yourself face to face with one, be calm and leave them alone. If you need, grab a rake or something with a pole and redirect the snake to somewhere you feel it is better suited. Dont needlessly kill one of natures strongest survivors. Copperheads are the most common vemomous snake in the area. If they stand thier ground then just leave them alone. Its not worth the struggle and chance you may be bit, they are very fast. Look for them to be more active at night and sometimes in open areas durring the day basking as they are cold blooded requiring the heat from sunlight to regulate thier body. Best way to get over your fear is to handle them in a controled scenario like a pet store, zoo or educational event. I will bet anyone who never has that they will surprise you...

If you just cannot face your fears then call an animal control center that is willing to relocate the snake for you. Make sure that before you ask them to come out that they will not kill the snake.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:16 PM

83 posts, read 444,591 times
I agree we had garden snakes and a hognose snake in Texas growing up and they're harmless and never bit us. My brother took them directly from the wild too so it's not like they were use to humans. I get angry when people feel that they have to kill a snake even though most are benefitical. Most aren't poisonous and I haven't seen one in the wild in quite some time.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:23 PM

201 posts, read 966,164 times
After two years of digging in the dirt, playing in the shrubs, I saw my first little baby yesterday...he went on his way and that was the end of it. Not a problem. Be more afraid of the freakin bugs down here! LOL

Old 05-07-2010, 08:11 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,113,578 times
Saw a snake going across the road on the way home from the store tonight! It was light colored - maybe a copperhead?

Old 05-08-2010, 09:54 AM

554 posts, read 1,503,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moremoremore View Post
After two years of digging in the dirt, playing in the shrubs, I saw my first little baby yesterday...he went on his way and that was the end of it. Not a problem. Be more afraid of the freakin bugs down here! LOL
thats what I said!!!! seriously, those palmettos are HUGE! I found one in my apartment when I first moved in; we killed it and then we brought it to the office and asked what it was - they said it was a member of the grasshopper family and that it wasn't a cockroach - they sealed our doors better and we haven't seen one again inside...but seriously, ITS A COCKROACH, A HUGE COCKROACH and its gross. Also, I mentioned before - I've heard TWO stories about this huge black spider - what is this?!?!?!?!?!

Old 05-08-2010, 10:14 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,166,849 times
Does anyone here know how many people are killed in the United States EVERY year by a venomous snake bite?

About 5.

Guess how many people are killed driving in the United States? Well over ONE HUNDRED a day in 2009... which was the lowest rate of traffic fatalities since 1961!

Furthermore, I have never been able to find a single news report of ANYONE being killed by a copperhead snake.

So keep your hazards in perspective. Worry less about snakes and worry more about getting to work in one piece.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:24 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,115,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota4791 View Post
Been here 3 years, do a lot of hiking.... never seen one anywhere within 30 miles.
Go to crowders mountain and hike..YOU will see one. I saw the biggest copperhead Ive ever heard of up there. He darted across the trail in front of me MOVING,,,At least 6 feet long and as big around as my ankle.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:56 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,694,982 times
There are a lot of people that feel some need to hype the deal on snakes. There are some pathetically humorous and hyped post on this thread. I won't call anyone out, since internet arguments are feckless.

If you care, here are some facts.

1. Copperheads can be found about anywhere in the Charlotte area. If you feed birds, the seed falls on the ground, varmints go after the seed and the copperheads (and other snakes), well you know the drill.

1a. Cute little bird houses, unless precautions are taken, are generally a buffet for climbing snakes. Unless you want to feed snakes, I would steer clear of unprotected bird houses.

2. Snakes need a place to rest and hide. Keep your yard pristine and you lower the chances of having snake visitors. Pine mulch looks nice, but it provides excellent hiding places.

3. If/when you garden, look very carefully before reaching down to dirt level. Bugs like gardens, snakes like bugs...it is the same drill.

4. Most "copperheads" are not, but there are enough around to be concerned, but not panicked about. Don't mess with copperheads. Most bites are either a) alcohol related or b) trying to kill the snake, or, a combination.

5. Be careful outside at night. Wear shoes and look around

6. Finally, many folks like to stroll subdivision streets at sunset. Snakes LOVE to crawl on the still warm roads as the air cools off. If you have strolled on streets at sundown and you have not seen a snake, you are lucky. From my experience in Huntersville, copperheads LOVED doing this.

7. My gut instinct is to kill them all, but I have to let my intellect take over. We lived in what I thought was a copperhead heaven, BUT we had king snakes. Saw them in all sizes and all the time, but never ever saw a copperhead in the yard..in the sub-division (on roads in evening, yes) but never in our yard.

Good luck, my advice is that your relative needs to deal with it.

lln

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte