Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:43 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,800,089 times

Advertisements

News-Talk 1110 WBT | Tara Servatius Show | Archive

Did you all know that the new recycling carts that the city distributed a few weeks ago have a microchip in them? I'm a bit uncomfortable with that, a little too much "Big Brother" for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 08:46 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
That seems pretty weird, and a waste of money. I don't want to listen to the audio clip. did they say why the put the chip in?

Old 05-08-2010, 08:58 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,348 times
chips in recycling containers? hmmmm.... I thought the idea was to put chips in the trash containers to weigh your trash so you could be charged by weight. But why you would need a computer chip to accomplish that simple mechanical feat is beyond me. Wouldn't it make more sense to install a SCALE on the truck rather than a computer chip in every recycling bin? I will get worried when they install a computer chip in my skull.... but in my recycling bin? ... yeah, why?

Old 05-08-2010, 09:02 PM

The clip features Andy Dulin who said something about the chips were going to be used so that they can track who is using the bins and figure out where the city needs to focus on "recycling education"

I feel a tax coming on, but I don't know how it will come about just yet

Old 05-09-2010, 09:38 AM

716 posts, read 2,158,482 times
I can't stand Tara Servatius, so I'm not going to listen to that.

If you google "RFID recycling" (here, let me google that for you) you can see programs in other cities and what they're using it for. (And equally suspicious comments from residents everywhere. ) Seems they're using it for incentive programs, which sounds like a good idea to me.

If you're suspicious of it, why don't you just use the old red recycling bin? You're allowed two of those every other week with the new program. Call 311 or click here and have them take back the big cart.

As long as they allow people to use the old ones, it's going to be hard to institute some kind of "tax." Also, what about people in apartments or other high-density residences? They don't recycle individually.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:04 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
I'll buy another garbage can for the wood. This new can is going straight back to whoever sent it to me.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:50 PM

518 posts, read 2,061,058 times
I would be very surprised if there are chips in the bins. Take everything you hear with a grain of salt, possibly something was mis-communicated. Just my personal opinion

Old 05-09-2010, 04:45 PM

I just have a problem with how the govt spends money I guess. We're laying off teachers and cutting back on public education. We're closing libraries and haven't given police or firefighters a raise in over 2 years.....but, wait we have microchips in recycling containers In addition to this costing money, they have to pay for the monitoring and data collection.

I just hope the chips in containers work better than the chips in the city water meters

Old 05-09-2010, 04:59 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
The meters have chips too?

Old 05-09-2010, 04:59 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
One of my first posts here was about the wisdom of spending $11 million on the new recycling program in the same year as nearly (and most likely) closing half the libraries including one that had opened less than a month earlier, and laying off hundreds of teachers. It seems that every time I turn on the news, I see something about some other program or purchase the city wants to make.

I saw a segment on the $6.5 million we spent last year on transportation vouchers for people in drug treatment programs. One of the city employees interviewed made a comment about "in the big picture $6.5 million isn't a lot of money".

Well hell, then toss that little bit of money my way. Charlotte obviously won't miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte