U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 12:00 PM

20 posts, read 61,626 times

Advertisements

My family will be relocating to Charlotte this summer. We would be interested in knowing the differences between the Providence and Piper Glen communities and which has the preferred schools.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 10:39 AM

554 posts, read 1,316,342 times
I was hesitant to comment on this because I've only lived here a year myself. But I live off Rea Rd. which is just up the street so this is the area I am most familiar with (South Charlotte). Providence and Piper Glen areas are both nice. If I'm correct Piper Glen is South Meck school district, although it could have parts that are in Ardrey Kell School District. And then there's providence which I'm assuming is Providence High School. So if its Providence High School or Ardrey Kell High School - they are both excellent schools. Ardrey Kell is one of the top schools in the state and Providence is right up there as well. Ardrey Kell is a newer school. If it's South Meck - I'm not as familar but from what I hear this is just an "okay" high school - its not the worst and its not the best. Very middle of the road. Someone might have to follow up on the South Meck High School review for me because I'm not as familiar with it.

South Charlotte is a great place to live. Find out what school you are exactly looking at and then I can help you more. Also check out schooldigger.com for more information.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,930,842 times
I think AmandaEve is correct on all of her points. I find the two neighborhoods to be pretty similar. However, Piper Glen has a bit more variety and is also better located. It has a nice shopping center in it with some nice restaurants and Trader Joe's. I haven't been to PCC in a while but in the past, I've had to endure that bottleneck on Providence Road to get down there. Awful. I think Piper Glen is a bit more established.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:19 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,579,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
I think AmandaEve is correct on all of her points. I find the two neighborhoods to be pretty similar. However, Piper Glen has a bit more variety and is also better located. It has a nice shopping center in it with some nice restaurants and Trader Joe's. I haven't been to PCC in a while but in the past, I've had to endure that bottleneck on Providence Road to get down there. Awful. I think Piper Glen is a bit more established.
Piper Glen is in a great location - closer in and more convenient to things like uptown and the hospitals.

I just do not like all the stucco exteriors myself.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:30 PM

174 posts, read 354,840 times
Both are very nice communities. You will also be able to find several other comparable communities in the immediate area. South Charlotte is a GREAT place to live and raise a family.

The shopping center at piper Glenn really isn't much, not really anymore than the one adjacent to Providence CC. Piper Glenn is a bit closer to Stonecrest, both are about equal distant from Blakeney and the Promenade.

Understand, these two communities are less than 10 minutes apart. So really, you can enjoy the proximity to nice things from either place.

You may also want to look at western Union County (Waxhaw or Weddington = big houses, low taxes)

Old 05-11-2010, 08:36 AM

554 posts, read 1,316,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
You may also want to look at western Union County (Waxhaw or Weddington = big houses, low taxes)
AND GREAT SCHOOL DISTRICTS!!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:54 AM

20 posts, read 61,626 times
Thanks for the feedback

Old 05-13-2010, 08:29 PM

46 posts, read 87,427 times
Agree with all the previous comments just want to add another: our impression has been Piper is more of a corporate club and has less of a family element to it. My husband's spent time at a variety of the clubs in the area and this was his impression. Because Rea Road is a very busy road and it bisects part of Piper Glen if I had kids I would want to be sure and be on the side with the amenities... We've also attended several events at Longview and Providence. Providence had kids running around everywhere! Have friends who have sold their homes and talked about trying to sell their membership but something like for every x number new memberships sold, Y old memberships can be. Don't quote me on the details.. Seems to be a very family orientated community - several people have commented they like the new elementary school, Polo Ridge feels like a community school. Established community, nice wide streets; sidewalks. Longview is gorgeous - no t times required but you pay for it. Initiation was 75k but currently 65k. They do have a membership where for 5k you can join for 18 months but you still pay reg. dues and they are steep at over 700 a month. Memberships are full equity and if you leave, you get full deposit back. Pool is smaller. Staff very attentive. Newer community and not fully built out. Actually pretty active kids program and we've always felt kids were welcomed and included. Springfield is public but if you live in the community you can pay an annual fee to play when you want... I don't have the info in front of me but I think it was less than 2k a year. Hope this all helps. Good luck. We rented upon moving here and are still trying to find our permanent home.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 18,758 times
I have lived in Piper Glen for 10 years and I love the location and the community. I live in the estates section. There are several sections in Piper Glen but you are not getting the same thing. Live in the estate section side. the others across the street are different subdivisions that are seperate from the estate section. The housing prices are highly variable there and are under 500.000. The Estate Section is over 500,000. When we moved here, we looked at both sides and we found the other side had quite variable issues with landscaping and home maintanence. The Estate side is very well maintained. I believe the HOA group on the estate side has much stricter bylaws that are enforced. I personally like that. I am not trying to be a snob here but I certainly do not want the price of my home being affected because others do not take care of theirs.

I like Ballantyne as well but the homes are built right next to each other on small lots (area also has issues about being seperated and a busy street)

My suggestion as to Providence is to just say NO. Way to much construction on that road... they are building many more developments south of PCC and also a large road construction is going on. Traffic is a nightmare now and it will only get worse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte