U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 05:49 PM

26 posts, read 45,260 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move down from NJ to the Charlotte area. Next fall, I will have one child in Middle School and two in high school. I've researched area schools and have narrowed it down to a few areas. My question is, how is the job market? My husband is a truck driver (local). I am a substitute teacher. We would like to get out of NJ but we are very apprehensive coming down without a job. It is becoming too expensive up here and we are finding it difficult to make ends meet. Do you think finding a driving or warehouse job will be difficult? What about substituting, anybody know how much they make or if there is even a need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 06:08 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,106,172 times
PLEASE do not come without jobs intact. The job market here is horrid and they are now looking at laying off a ton of teachers this summer. (so, the prospects for substituting would probably be slim). I think that Mecklenburg county (our county) has 11.3% unemployment (or maybe that is Charlotte?) anyway, our newspaper is Charlotte Observer - Carolina News Panthers Bobcats Sports Banking NASCAR Racing - CharlotteObserver.com and you can keep up with the latest news that way.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:25 PM

21,882 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina2Pastina View Post
We are looking to move down from NJ to the Charlotte area. Next fall, I will have one child in Middle School and two in high school. I've researched area schools and have narrowed it down to a few areas. My question is, how is the job market? My husband is a truck driver (local). I am a substitute teacher. We would like to get out of NJ but we are very apprehensive coming down without a job. It is becoming too expensive up here and we are finding it difficult to make ends meet. Do you think finding a driving or warehouse job will be difficult? What about substituting, anybody know how much they make or if there is even a need?
Tina, are you looking to move to the city of Charlotte, the inner suburbs, or are you OK with living out a bit?

Which part of NJ are you currently in? North Jersey, South Jersey, or Central? There are a lot of us here, & that would tell us what you're used to.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:42 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,052,401 times
I would think that with the layoffs it would not affect the substitute getting called because teachers would still be needing them. There is always a need for substitutes no matter where you are. Just wondering so please do not attack me

Old 05-11-2010, 06:46 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,223,814 times
I think what the PP means is that a lot of those teachers who will be let go will be looking for substitute work, since they're not in the classroom full-time anymore. That would mean a lot more competition from people who have an established network, compared to someone new w/o connections down here. I've never subbed in the schools down here, but that's what I think the PP meant.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:08 PM

Thank you. We are from northern NJ. I know the market has been bad but I was thinking that perhaps the "blue collar" jobs would be plentiful. Perhaps it was wishful thinking. I am open to being outside the city. We are currently 35 min ouside NYC too. I was looking in the Providence HS, Weddington HS, Ardrey Kell and Hough HS. I was down there 2x in April just looking around. It's scarey uprooting the family, it's just hard to make ends meet here. Thank you for all of your comments. By the way, many teachers in NJ are getting let go as well, so I understood what the prvious writer was referring to.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,327,988 times
Quote:
Thank you. We are from northern NJ. I know the market has been bad but I was thinking that perhaps the "blue collar" jobs would be plentiful. Perhaps it was wishful thinking. I am open to being outside the city. We are currently 35 min ouside NYC too. I was looking in the Providence HS, Weddington HS, Ardrey Kell and Hough HS. I was down there 2x in April just looking around. It's scarey uprooting the family, it's just hard to make ends meet here. Thank you for all of your comments. By the way, many teachers in NJ are getting let go as well, so I understood what the prvious writer was referring to.
You can't be outside the city and still get those schools you mentioned, except for Weddington High, which is in Union County - but in a pricey area to live in.

Honestly, this is a TERRIBLE time to come to the Charlotte area in particular without a job. People who have done this have put themselves in very bad financial striats.

If you are willing to go outside Charlotte's metro, like to Statesville which has two major interstates going thru it and a trucking industry, you might find some work for your husband. Outlying counties all have high unemployment too, but if you can find something the cost of living will be much more affordable than in Charlotte.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 PM

21,882 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Tina, The school districts here are by county. I live in Cleveland County & my county is not having layoffs Gaston County is between Cleveland County & Charlotte. I don't know about Gaston County. Lincoln County is north of Gaston County, going towards Hickory. I don't know the status of Lincoln County, either.

These 3 counties are west of Charlotte. One of the posters on this board, ComfortFood is married & his wife has worked & is working for the 3 western districts. He might be a source of information for you.

Cleveland County Schools (http://www.clevelandcountyschools.org/welcome.htm - broken link)

http://www.gaston.k12.nc.us/Pages/welcome.aspx

Lincoln County Board of Education - Homepage

Right now it would be more difficult for you to find work. I would suggest that you contact the 3 school districts that I named. If you can get a promise of work, then we can help your husband find something, & find you a place to live. There are good schools outside of Charlotte.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:04 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,052,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
I think what the PP means is that a lot of those teachers who will be let go will be looking for substitute work, since they're not in the classroom full-time anymore. That would mean a lot more competition from people who have an established network, compared to someone new w/o connections down here. I've never subbed in the schools down here, but that's what I think the PP meant.

Ok. I see that

Old 05-12-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Tina, The school districts here are by county. I live in Cleveland County & my county is not having layoffs Gaston County is between Cleveland County & Charlotte. I don't know about Gaston County. Lincoln County is north of Gaston County, going towards Hickory. I don't know the status of Lincoln County, either.

These 3 counties are west of Charlotte. One of the posters on this board, ComfortFood is married & his wife has worked & is working for the 3 western districts. He might be a source of information for you.

Cleveland County Schools (http://www.clevelandcountyschools.org/welcome.htm - broken link)

http://www.gaston.k12.nc.us/Pages/welcome.aspx

Lincoln County Board of Education - Homepage

Right now it would be more difficult for you to find work. I would suggest that you contact the 3 school districts that I named. If you can get a promise of work, then we can help your husband find something, & find you a place to live. There are good schools outside of Charlotte.

Thank you, I will look into those school districts. I appreciate all the suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or