Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:45 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,346,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
P.S. Nothing good comes from power drinking at the longest Nascar race except to provide amusement for those around you! Don't be "that guy"!

You just became "that guy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 05:52 PM

224 posts, read 455,778 times
SUNSCREEN! SUNGLASSES!!
You can bring a small cooler (14 x 14 x 14" max) with your own water
or soda or beer....cans or plastic containers only. No glass.
I would suggest you tailgate at your car and bring in chips or snacks
for food as it can get pretty expensive at the concessions.
They will check your cooler and any other bag you carry in.
Definitely rent a scanner if you don't own one. It will give you
a whole different perspective on the race as you will know
much better about what is going on, even if you don't listen
to the drivers and crews and just listen to the race broadcast.
You and your sister can share one scanner with a splitter with
2 headsets.
Also bring a light jacket as it gets chilly after baking all day when
the sun goes down. That's all I can think of right now.
Have fun!!

Old 05-14-2010, 06:22 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,098,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
vmaxnc I know agree with what you said in your entire post. You have to be there to experience the whole deal and understand what it is that makes a fan want to keep coming back.

I was just wondering, do you work hospitality? And if so, do you do all the races or just a few?
From 1998 to 2006 I worked part time for a Charlotte based company that provides scanners to corporate groups. The job was a lot of fun, and I've been all over the country because of it. The flyer miles I accrued are great too!

And I've been a fan since my neighbor (when I was 15) worked for Earnhardt, and I was taken around CMS at 160 MPH in a two seat car, by Earnhardt himself. It was part of a friends and family event that I was very fortunate to attend.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:27 PM

468 posts, read 821,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
From 1998 to 2006 I worked part time for a Charlotte based company that provides scanners to corporate groups. The job was a lot of fun, and I've been all over the country because of it. The flyer miles I accrued are great too!

Ah, I see!

I have probably run across you at one time or another from '99 to '06.
I am still working at it and although I don't fly, I get to see the country over the road which is more fun for me.

I'm with a motor sports company and do show cars and other events for many sponsors. Still having fun with it in my old age.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchenette View Post
SUNSCREEN! SUNGLASSES!!
You can bring a small cooler (14 x 14 x 14" max) with your own water
or soda or beer....cans or plastic containers only. No glass.
I would suggest you tailgate at your car and bring in chips or snacks
for food as it can get pretty expensive at the concessions.
They will check your cooler and any other bag you carry in.
Definitely rent a scanner if you don't own one. It will give you
a whole different perspective on the race as you will know
much better about what is going on, even if you don't listen
to the drivers and crews and just listen to the race broadcast.
You and your sister can share one scanner with a splitter with
2 headsets.
Also bring a light jacket as it gets chilly after baking all day when
the sun goes down. That's all I can think of right now.
Have fun!!

Good point on listening to the race broadcast. Without it it's almost impossible to know who is where and what is happening. The announcer in the track is almost useless once the cars get spread out a bit, because you can't hear him. AND, the broadcast you'll hear is the studio feed, not the over-the-air feed. That means you'll hear what goes on in the studio during commercial breaks. It can be very entertaining.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
Ah, I see!

I have probably run across you at one time or another from '99 to '06.
I am still working at it and although I don't fly, I get to see the country over the road which is more fun for me.

I'm with a motor sports company and do show cars and other events for many sponsors. Still having fun with it in my old age.
It's possible we've crossed paths. I met several older people who drove the show car haulers and associated gear, and that's how they were seeing the country. In a lot of ways that's a lot less stressful. For me it was often pick up van(s)-get 30 cases of gear-race to airport-deal with all the fun that flying has become, especially these days-fly-get rental(s)-eat dinner-sleep 4 hours-work 16-eat-sleep 4 hours-work 16-fly back, etc., etc., all as fast as you can go, without seeing anything but a van, track, bed, plate of food, and a couple planes.

I wouldn't mind getting back into something like it but on a slower pace. The scanner thing was fun but it was a lot of work for not a lot of money. No regrets though.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:43 PM

604 posts, read 1,300,463 times
600 Miles is a long race. I have been twice but I think watching the race on my 62" TV is better. (Airconditioning)

Old 05-15-2010, 02:15 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,727,347 times
Unless you are in the suites I would go to the Nationwide race and watch the 600 at home.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:42 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,346,986 times
The 600 is an endurance test for everyone in the stands as well. They've got the best patriotic display you'll ever see and you certainly get your money's worth. But when you're in like lap 267 of 400 and the fifth caution is thrown, it gets a little taxing. Having it spread over two days last year and still not getting a full race in was brutal. That said the 600's become a tradition and I still wouldn't miss it.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,154,151 times
The 600 is great, but don't expect to be in your seat the whole time. Somewhere in the middle of the race I usually wait for a lull and take a nice 20 minute walk to use the 'facilities', look at the merchandise booths, and stretch my legs. If you do that and something happens on the track, there are enough TV monitors at the concession stands where you can catch a replay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte