Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,786 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a newcomer here, in Charlotte and in USA (both great locations!). I would like to know how it's working there regarding the watering issues during vacation time? Is everybody has a garden which can stay 10 days without water? Or is everybody have automatic sprinklers? I want to know if it's possible to pay somebody for 1 hour of watering every 2 days. Thanks a lot for your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 02:26 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
They have timers you can buy, but I'm not sure how sophisticated they are. They might just water a certain time every day rather than being able to program the day. I have a neighbor who works in Atlanta and she pays me to water her yard M-F. I don't know how much most people would charge, but since I was willing to do it for free, when she offered to pay I accepted only $10 a week.

I would like to add that an hour of watering every two days is A LOT of water. Your grass should only get (and need) about an inch a week. If you water too often the roots grow shallow and the grass isn't healthy.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:16 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,362,177 times
Now with summer vacation the OP can probably get a neighborhood kid to do it for cheap. Of course have the hose and the sprinklers to attach to it and voila!

Old 05-15-2010, 08:46 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,818 times
the op was talking about a garden and not the yard the way I understand it. I wonder the same thing. Where I am coming from, it's no where near as hot and plants can go days without water. Would one need to water veggie plants every day there if it doesn't rain? I do plant a garden and while I will not be able to plant a garden, I still plan to plant a few veggie plants still yet.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:59 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,362,177 times
Yard or garden, they could probably ask a neighborhood kid to do it if they are really concern about it when they are gone.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,786 times
Default Thanks

Thanks a lot, everybody, for your nice advice. Yes, I am really concern about my yard (flowers + tomatoes, to be more specific!), but I think you are right. The best way is to ask somebody in the neibourgh. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte