Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:26 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,018,321 times

Advertisements

Just want to chime in an FYI to the OP regarding taxes...

Speak as a Michigan native, you'll see an increase in taxes coming to NC because of the personal property tax. I do not know the difference in tax on small business. NC charges PPT on vehicles/items registered every year, plus there is a required safety and emissions testing for all registered vehicles (again, costs $). The income tax from MI to NC is close to the same, and you may or may not see a cost difference in auto insurance. PPT also extends to other items including the purchase of a registered dog, for example. If "cheap taxes" are a bullet point, you might want to do your research.

Basements are not plentiful, they just aren't built here like they are up north. To find a house in the $75K range with some land, you're looking at a longer commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 10:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
When Pookie gives me his truck on Tuesday. Im going to get me Nascar window stickers NEWS FLASH bumber stickers is so 1984.
and have them around and maybe some Nascar window flags too
Charlotte the city of Racing

Old 05-17-2010, 11:09 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,991,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacmd70 View Post
As a person having lived in the North for 60+years and now a Mecklenburg County home owner I find this thread somewhat offensive. Or is this thread a joke on us with thin skin concerning this subject.
I guess you do have thin skin. Offended by a possible troll? I'd hate to see what happens when real issues offend you.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:22 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,193 times
Anyone else recall the city of Kannapolis taking down the "Dale Trail" banners, so as not to offend Martha Stewart and David Murdochs' Yankee sensibilities?

Racing has its deepest roots in NC, and we should be proud of that. While NASCAR has certainly lost popularity in the last few years, it still attracts 10s of thousands to the track, and millions to the television.

I'd love to discuss this topic further, but it is time for me to lower my Jr flag and hoist the Kyle Busch flag. A shame I dont have any room left on my bumpers- Im sure an M&Ms sticker would look fantastic!

Old 05-17-2010, 11:30 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Anyone else recall the city of Kannapolis taking down the "Dale Trail" banners, so as not to offend Martha Stewart and David Murdochs' Yankee sensibilities?

Racing has its deepest roots in NC, and we should be proud of that. While NASCAR has certainly lost popularity in the last few years, it still attracts 10s of thousands to the track, and millions to the television.

I'd love to discuss this topic further, but it is time for me to lower my Jr flag and hoist the Kyle Busch flag. A shame I dont have any room left on my bumpers- Im sure an M&Ms sticker would look fantastic!
You could just go this route-

YouTube - El Camino DONK

Maybe the owner is a KB fan. Naahhh....

Old 05-17-2010, 11:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Exactly we should be proud of an industry that employees many skilled workers.
I really feel we are on the dawn of a new era I would love to Run a Nascar tour bus.
Im the driver and my Pookie a die hard fan will share you the knowledge of every Driver

Old 05-17-2010, 11:42 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,991,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Just want to chime in an FYI to the OP regarding taxes...

Speak as a Michigan native, you'll see an increase in taxes coming to NC because of the personal property tax. I do not know the difference in tax on small business. NC charges PPT on vehicles/items registered every year, plus there is a required safety and emissions testing for all registered vehicles (again, costs $). The income tax from MI to NC is close to the same, and you may or may not see a cost difference in auto insurance. .
What part of MI were you from? I came from Troy and my taxes were 4600/year compared to 1300 in Fort Mill now. My auto insurance was cut almost in half, and my homeowners insurance is 60% of what it was there.

Yeah, we pay for the personal tax and testing, but don't forget the Secretary of State (MI's DMV) had higher fees for licenses and plates. In many cases my cost of living is much cheaper, except for a gallon of milk, which is double what I paid in MI. I'll gladly pay the extra for that if I can save elsewhere and have the great climate I live in now.

Plus the people are nicer hands down. When I drive 160 to work in the morning, you actually see people slowing down and waving people in that are trying to turn onto the road and let them in. I rarely if ever saw that in the north.

But as to the OP - don't bother, you will hate it down here.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:51 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Agreed, I lived in Lansing and my taxes here are about half of what I paid in MI, and our house here is much more expensive than the house there was.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Exactly we should be proud of an industry that employees many skilled workers.
I really feel we are on the dawn of a new era I would love to Run a Nascar tour bus.
Im the driver and my Pookie a die hard fan will share you the knowledge of every Driver
That would actually be a TERRIFIC business to start, Sunny. Also, create maps to the houses of not only the drivers, but their garages and pit crews.

Someone is gonna do it if they haven't already. I will be glad to make up the maps for ya!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:43 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,652,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty2900 View Post
We are looking at a possible move to the Charlotte area but we dont want to live around or in a 'total nascar' community. I monitor it, but am not a huge devoted fan. I am more into NHRA. We would like to live where there is not alot of Nascar heads and people with nascar stickers plastered all over there vehicles and such. I am liking Concord so far.
The thing about living in Concord is when there's a race (I don't know the schedule - I'm a native, but not a fan), anywhere close to the track DOES turn into Nascar-ville for the weekend at least, if not the week.

If this would offend your girlfriend when it happens, don't live there! It's like the folks who moved close to Shuffletown, then closed down the dragway 'cause it was TOO LOUD. Um - maybe don't move close to a dragway if you're bothered by the occasional noise? Don't live where you'll be surrounded by race fans when there's a race - which would be close to the track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte