U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 09:56 PM

314 posts, read 1,025,157 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if I'll need a building permit for a free standing Pergola? I plan on building it from scratch.

I live in Indian Trail, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 08:37 AM

157 posts, read 735,158 times
You won't need a building permit, but you may need to check with your HOA (if you have one).

Old 05-17-2010, 08:50 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
I would assume you would not need a building permit, but my idea of a pergola would be a structure that could easily be removed (I have built 2 in the past - don't have one here- YET!)

You are doing a true pergola - slats for "roof?" Are you building a deck under it or adding it to an existing deck - or putting in a removable flagstone/slate floor? Is it going to be larger than 12 x 12? Will it cost under $5000 in materials? Are you building it yourself? Are you pouring a concrete pad? (Pouring a pad could change whether it is considered permanent or not).

You are not in an HOA?

I have found that typically, if it costs under $5000, is under 12 x 12, doesn't have an actual roof, doesn't have a poured concrete floor, it is not considered a "building" so no problem. But municipalities vary with ordinances . . .

Here is the website that might have the answers:

Town of Indian Trail : Welcome Message

And here is the page w/ some ordinances on it (not sure if they will answer your question but it is a place to start)

Town of Indian Trail : Departments > Planning > Ordinances and Regulations

Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 AM

I will be building a true pergola, with slats for a roof. It's basically going to be four posts and slats running accross as rafters. I will be building it myself and if my estimates are correct, it will probably cost about $300 in lumber and parts. $400 tops. I am planning on drilling into my current cement patio and securing braces for the posts.

To us the pergola will be permanent, but technically it could be removed in one piece if you just unscrewed it from the braces, so I guess it's not really permanent. It's a lot of wood, so it wouldn't be especially easy to remove, but you could do it. It's no more permanent than a wood playset with swings.

As for the size, it will be around 11 x 12.

I do have an HOA and I don't believe it will be a problem. I'll need to request permission from them to build it, but it's behind the house, so they almost never have any issue with something that isn't visible from the street, which this won't be.

So, your general concencus is that I won't need a permit then?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:14 AM

852 posts, read 2,214,819 times
Can you build one for me after you have done yours? LOL

Old 05-18-2010, 05:24 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens44 View Post
I will be building a true pergola, with slats for a roof. It's basically going to be four posts and slats running accross as rafters. I will be building it myself and if my estimates are correct, it will probably cost about $300 in lumber and parts. $400 tops. I am planning on drilling into my current cement patio and securing braces for the posts.

To us the pergola will be permanent, but technically it could be removed in one piece if you just unscrewed it from the braces, so I guess it's not really permanent. It's a lot of wood, so it wouldn't be especially easy to remove, but you could do it. It's no more permanent than a wood playset with swings.

As for the size, it will be around 11 x 12.

I do have an HOA and I don't believe it will be a problem. I'll need to request permission from them to build it, but it's behind the house, so they almost never have any issue with something that isn't visible from the street, which this won't be.

So, your general concencus is that I won't need a permit then?
That sounds like a terrific addition to your outdoor space and no way anyone could deem it a building. And it could be removed so that means it isn't "permanent" in the sense of digging footings . . .

The other municipalities I lived in did not require a permit for such a structure. However, with the HOAs, one did get upset with me that I didn't run it by the architectural committee b/f doing it and the other one - I did submit to architectural committee, wh/ I found ridiculous, but just trying to keep peace . . .

When you get down to it, a pergola is no more obstructive than say - a large outdoor umbrella - and they do add so much to a setting.

I can promise you that here in my present home - I won't be asking anyone anything. I will just build it. It will be no larger than 12 x 12 and open (as you described yours). My neighbor bought his house with a pergola already on the back deck and it looks very nice so there's a precedent right beside me! Just can't imagine anyone getting themselves in an uproar over it, lol.

Good luck with your project!

Old 05-18-2010, 08:16 PM

104 posts, read 158,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
Can you build one for me after you have done yours? LOL
I was thinking the same thing!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:44 AM

Let's see how building mine goes before asking me to build one for you. I've never tried anything like this, so it may go horribly wrong.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 PM

34 posts, read 40,956 times
if you live in a neighbor hood with an HOA, better check with them before hand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte