Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 01:24 PM

335 posts, read 699,766 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the CLT metro very soon, and I have narrowed my list of towns/school ditricts - with Waxhaw (Marvin) being at the top of my list. At this stage in my search, I just want to verify that this is the right town for my family before I get into the nitty gritty of house shopping. Where do people that live in Marvin shop and play, etc? What are the must see places that you would recommend I check out? If it makes any difference as to your recommendation - I have young children; we enjoy the outdoors; I have a white collar/professional job, but I'm a little more country than that Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 01:30 PM

4 posts, read 3,920 times
Would help to know a few things: 1. Where will you be working? 2. Does commuting bother you? 3. Will your kids be in the public school system? and 4. What is your budget?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:13 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Just be a bit careful as Waxhaw does spill across multiple school clusters. Since you stated Marvin I will assume you mean the extreme NW of Waxhaw and thus being Marvin Ridge schools.

You should definitely check out Blakeney and Stonecrest up Rea Rd... That's where you'd do the bulk of your shopping from Marvin. Maybe grab a bite to eat there. Venture over to the WCWAA ball fields to see where your kids may play sports. Cruise down Crane to see the middle and high school. There's 3 elementary schools so it's tougher to narrow it down until you pick a subdivision. Other then that, further south is more rural and worth a drive to check out downtown Waxhaw (don't blink lol).

If you extend the drive you can continue up Rea to check out the Southpark mall and go East or West on 485 to explore the area even more.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT2NCGIRL View Post
Would help to know a few things: 1. Where will you be working? 2. Does commuting bother you? 3. Will your kids be in the public school system? and 4. What is your budget?
Thanks for the reply. Answers:1) All over the place, 2) see 1, 3) yes, 4) flexible. Here is the important part - I AM going to the Waxhaw area tomorrow to check it out, and I'm just looking for advice on how to make the most of my trip. I'm not looking for houses yet b/c that would be pointless for me until I decide it is the right place for us - i.e. the people, the general look of the area, recreation, proximity to daily errands, etc. I just wanna git in where we fit in, if you know what I mean. We are middle class, open-minded christian, political center, outdoor/sports loving folks from the rural-outer DC metro area.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Just be a bit careful as Waxhaw does spill across multiple school clusters. Since you stated Marvin I will assume you mean the extreme NW of Waxhaw and thus being Marvin Ridge schools.

You should definitely check out Blakeney and Stonecrest up Rea Rd... That's where you'd do the bulk of your shopping from Marvin. Maybe grab a bite to eat there. Venture over to the WCWAA ball fields to see where your kids may play sports. Cruise down Crane to see the middle and high school. There's 3 elementary schools so it's tougher to narrow it down until you pick a subdivision. Other then that, further south is more rural and worth a drive to check out downtown Waxhaw (don't blink lol).

If you extend the drive you can continue up Rea to check out the Southpark mall and go East or West on 485 to explore the area even more.
Thanks Mikeykid. It seems that you are the Union Co. aficionado on this site, and I was hoping you would offer something. While I have young kids, I agree with what you have said before, that the best way to go about such a relocation search is to start with a high school district of your liking, and go from there. So, the entire Marvin Ridge cluster is my plan A. The Lake Norman H.S. cluster is my plan B, but LKN will be a totally different trip for another weekend. I will have to do a little more digging to locate Blakeney/StoneCrest/WCWAA fileds, etc., but that is exactly the type of advice I am looking for. Thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte