Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times

Advertisements

Back to the original topic. Would I move to Charlotte again? Tough question, tough to answer. I gave up a job that paid more, but who's future was a bit questionable in the Triad for a job here that unfortunately pays less but who's future is much more promising. I remember how there'd be times when I'd be just dying for something to do, somewhere to go, and there'd be just nothing. Then, we'd get invited to something here - a show at Blumenthal or Verizon or the Neighborhood Theater. A horse show at Latta Plantation. A race at the speedway. A boat ride on the lake. Hanging out at the then brand-new Birkdale Village. Everytime, I'd look around and see nothing but places full of young people, loud and boisterous and all having a good time. That's when I said yup, Charlotte's for me. For those people who say there's no nightlife here, I think you're crazy. But, I realize that, as with a lot of things, it depends on your perspective.

Of course, plans haven't gone the way I'd hoped. The boat I hoped to get in order to spend time out on the lake never materialized. Making friends, at least some of a similar age and interests, has been difficult, especially with so many people leaving this area for other opportunities. I had hopes of becoming a bit more urban, spending time uptown and in the surrounding areas. Since I live & work here in the University area though, and since the few businesses I did occasionally frequent are now gone, and with no one else to accompany me, I don't really get to do much uptown. I hope that the new Uptown Music Factory changes that a bit for me.

So, would I move here again? Yes. But, one of the neat things about this whole website is that it's given me some insight into some other cities/metro areas that the next time around I'd give more consideration to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 07:59 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
Another perspective on the whole "keeping up with the Jones'" thought process is the simple obsession with appearances that is here. I have never gotten used to it...and, never will. I was always taught to never judge a book by it's cover. What someone looked like was never important, it was what their character was/is. Not so much here. That is evident by the many discussions that we have right here on this forum about how we need HOA s to ensure that people keep their homes "acceptable"; with no thought of the people living in them. I have worked at jobs where I was in a supervisory capacity where I was told to "only hire attractive people". This is a way of life here.

For primarily that reason, no, I would not move here again, in particular if I knew what I now know. I hate that whole concept/thought process. It goes against everything that I believe in.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:04 PM

104 posts, read 184,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Hey! I dress in OSU gear in the fall, and I didn't go there. Do you have to play for the Panthers too to be a fan?

BTW, Ohio University and OSU are completely different.
I hear you. I have my Cubs and Illinois stickers on my car, even though I know people generally don't care where I'm from. It's not about that -- I just like my sports teams!

PS - I definitely know the difference between the Buckeyes and Bobcats. I've visited Columbus several times for work -- nice city.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:50 PM

257 posts, read 669,379 times
I like Charlotte but don't love it. I may stay here a few more years but I see myself ending up in DC or Chicago. Plus, in my time here it has been hard to keep friends here. They keep moving away! I think it is mainly b/c so many people don't have family or ties to the area.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Not so much here. That is evident by the many discussions that we have right here on this forum about how we need HOA s to ensure that people keep their homes "acceptable"; with no thought of the people living in them. I have worked at jobs where I was in a supervisory capacity where I was told to "only hire attractive people". This is a way of life here.
cc, I don't have an obsession with appearance of my property. Maintaning ones property and keeping things uniform in a neighborhood appeals to me. I enjoy seeing manicured lawns w/flowers and nice shrubs. When someone doesn't maintain the most expensive purchase they've made, that tells me something about them. Farmland is obviously different because in addition to one's living space, its used to grow food on a large scale. I envy farmers because of how hard the work is and how detailed you must be.

That doesn't make me (or others who feel the same) bad or evil about living in the burbs and wanting people to maintain their property..... Its my preference.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
Food for thought for those that are THINKING of moving:

I subscribe to an investment newletter that covers all the bases ie: bonds, commodities, real estate, exchange rates, etc. The publisher has a sterling record in my opinion and this is what he says about selling your real estate in general:

"Residential prices should continue to move up modestly into the summer, then turn down again later this year. There is a significant shadow inventory and this summer should represent the last, best selling opportunity before another round of declines takes place. Rising interest rates could be the final nail in the coffin."

IMHO if you're waiting around to sell a house in order to recoup what you overpaid for it ("I'm not going to give it away") you might re-think that statergy.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:13 AM

616 posts, read 1,751,262 times
I moved here for a job, then was laid off 11 months later. Stayed here because I'd bought a house and the recession hit ... husband and I returned to school ... and I am working part-time, freelance, from home. We'll stay if he finds a job here after he finishes (end of 2010). But we'd really like to live closer to the mountains - thus his job search will have broad parameters location-wise. If I had to do it all over again, would I move here? No. I don't hate it, my feelings are more "meh". We're more attracted to western NC.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:24 AM

104 posts, read 184,552 times
My wife and I moved here in September 2008, so we've been here about a year and a half now. She's a professor, I work from home. We both love Charlotte and hope to stay here for many years to come. We just had a little baby girl six weeks ago, and we love the fact that she was born in Charlotte, North Carolina. Great city, great lifestyle, beautiful area, really good friends we have here.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:15 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,367,981 times
"especially with so many people leaving this area for other opportunities".

I'm sorry. It's early and I haven't had much coffee. But what does this mean?

Old 05-19-2010, 06:18 AM

554 posts, read 1,507,713 times
I think I've made my answer clear on here many times but here goes again, YES I would move here in a heartbeat again. I literally picked up and left pretty spontaneously to move here - both without jobs and we had visited it one time fell in love and moved. And I believe in my heart that it was a blessing from above because everything worked out for me.

However, I am the type of person who likes change, I get bored with consistancy. Since being here it has opened up my eyes to seeing how nice other parts of the country is. Most of my life I've lived in NY - which isn't to say I lived in the slums, I actually lived in a beautiful neighborhood, in a beautiful home, and had great times there. But lets face it, the grounds aren't kept up EVER - unless its your own yard or neighborhood, you will see overgrown weeds, unkept grounds, few to none flowers or planted trees in just the town areas. And then don't even get me started on when snow comes and doesn't leave for 6 months. Dirty, black snow that covers the ground for 6 months - how depressing. No color, no mowed green grass, no flowers bloomed. I could keep going on but I think you get the picture. So now that I see that some states and cities actually are PRETTY, it opened my eyes and I thought I wonder if anything is even nicer than here! And this is what I came up with.

Florida - I've been there more times than I can count and to me I'm not a fan of just one season - HOT all year round. I like the palm trees, but I like what NC has going on more as far as the beauty of nature. Plus don't even get me started on those amazon looking bugs down there. Gross.

California - I've ALWAYS wanted to move to LA and have thought lately that maybe Orange County would be a good fit for me but when putting it in perspective, everything looks greener on the other side. Looking at pictures of Orange County and hearing friends describe it doesn't make me think I'd like it any better than I like it here (except the beach, I'd really love to live near a beach).

Chicago - supposed to be a beautiful city! And from what I hear much cleaner than NYC! BUT waaaay too cold and there are a lot of cloudy days in Chicago (statistically its not a very sunny city).

NYC - Although you may crack on me and say that I'm from upstate, I'm only 2 hours from the city. I've had my share of NYC, trust me. And of course I've thought of living there but really if you're not living in Manhattan its overrated and nothing to write home about. And even in parts of Manhattan I'm not all that impressed, garbage night in the city - now that's a site. I love NYC but I'm looking somewhere to settle down and live a nice life in an urban lifestyle with beautiful, meticulous scenery around me. That's not NYC - Manhattan is the hustle and bustle, the big skyscrappers, the city that never sleeps. Great for a young adults without any kids but for me, its over. Great for visits, but not for a lifestyle that I'm looking for. And again, its dirty. More cockroaches and rats than you'll ever find in any city. Also, need I mention its the prime target for terrorist attacks still. Not a good place to raise my child.

Texas - I've never thought of Texas to move there. But recently I went to Dallas for job training and I have to say I'm not as impressed. Yes, there are nice parts of it. But the city is spread out, it gets hell of a hot there. The bugs are HUGE. And I think Charlotte has a nicer look to is, PERSONALLY.

Denver - I've thought about Denver and I'm not sure I've completely ruled it out. I like snow a couple times a year but Denver gets snow A LOT. It's not as cold as Chicago or NY, but they get a crazy amount of snow. I think just last week they had snow! Even putting that aside, I'm not thrilled about where it's centrally located. Here in Charlotte we are centrally located to so much stuff - the mountains, wilmington, myrtle beach, atlanta, charleston, raleigh, ect. But in Denver, there's Denver and that's about it.

Anyway...I'm happy here, I think if you keep wishing for something better you're never going to be happy. Can I promise I'll stay here forever - no. But that's only because it kind of scares me to say I'll be limited to one place for forever...I could very well end up here forever and be happy, but I just let God lead my way, I like to travel to check out parts of the US and most importantly I'm happy here; Charlotte is an absolutely beautiful, great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte