U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 09:52 AM

65 posts, read 145,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEve011 View Post
Funny you say that because from the day I moved here my family from NY always comments on how cheap the cost of living in NC is and at this point I just roll my eyes because yes, the property tax is cheaper and the home prices are cheaper (not as much as you think though if you are looking in certain areas) but the groceries are more expensive, my weekly expense for daycare is more expensive, you get taxed on your dog and your car, highway tax, and this is the msot shocking of all - they take more state income tax out in your paycheck in NORTH CAROLINA than they do in NY!!! I was shocked when I found this out...to sum this up, NC nickle and dime's you...its not as "cheap" to live here as you think, BUT even if it tripled I'd still live here. I didn't move here for the cost of living, I moved here because I love the area and I'm sure many NYers would agree.
Taxed on your dog??? can you please explain this one.. here in NYC we have to get dog licenses, which run about $8/year.. does NC have something else??
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 10:01 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,103,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctoncsoon View Post
Taxed on your dog??? can you please explain this one.. here in NYC we have to get dog licenses, which run about $8/year.. does NC have something else??
Thanks
Yes. If you have a purebreed animal, you must pay property taxes on it. Not sure how much they are....(both of my dogs are rescued mutts )

Our dog licenses are more than that, too...and, you can't get them until after they have been vaccinated. If they are spayed/neutered, the license is cheaper.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:55 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,923,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Yes. If you have a purebreed animal, you must pay property taxes on it......
This is not true.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:35 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
This is not true.
I agree. However, if you do not spay or neuter your animal, the license costs more than a license for a spayed/neutered pet.

There are exemptions if your pet is a show dog and has participated in shows within the previous 2 years. Also, over a certain age, they give a price break on pet licenses (I think it is maybe at 60 that you get a reduced fee on the licenses, but I am not positive as to the age requirement).

Old 05-22-2010, 09:53 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,103,299 times
Here are the NC statutes on all that is taxed here:

North Carolina General Assembly - General Statutes - Chapter 105: Taxation.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:17 PM

222 posts, read 631,543 times
Default Clt

I have lived here 9 years. I have mixed feelings. I do not hate Charlotte by no means. It is a good place to raise kids. But, I would have to say no I would not do it again. I was laid off for a little under 1 year. Then returned to work to only be told as of June 1 my department has been outsourced. I have no family here so maybe that doesn't help either.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:49 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,096,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
When I wipe the smudges off the rear view mirror, it wasn't financially the best time to move for me, however as I've said ad nauseum, finances aren't the only indicator.

I love where I live, and I love that my kids are happy and see their extended family alot. We've had struggles like every family, but I wouldn't change anything over the past couple of years....
Are you in Charlotte ? That is the thread topic and I am assuming but was just curious.....

Old 05-23-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
No. Why?
1. Jobs are only concentrated around banking and finances.
2. Charlotte has an identity crisis.
3. Constant tag of war between locals (Southerners) and transplants (Yankees).
4. Over priced real estate.
5. High state and local taxes, not much in return for those taxes.
6. State income tax.
7. No culture, no variety, every one is either black or white.
8. I can think of a city or two with more jobs, lower taxes and real estate prices, no state income tax and more diverse and accepting to minorities and other groups.
My daughter lives in Charlotte and loves it but she doesnt have children and is middle aged. She is a white collar professional in a blue collar profession. (she sells industrial products to manufacturers). she frequently goes to the Asian market and her favorite food is Thai and Vietnamese. She says Charlotte has one of the highest Hispanic pop. in the US. she was also born and raised in the south and I dont know if that makes any difference. Dont know about the other stuff.

the hardest place she had in adjusting to was Hagerstown, MD. Loved her house but didnt care much for the immediate area.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Seems like I'm having to explain myself a lot in this thread due to lack of reading comprehension. Everyone slow down and read the words! It helps!
I have stayed out of this portion of the thread but, I find this awfully arrogant for you to say that all of the posters who disagreed with you or queried you on your statements, lack reading comprehension....there in may lie part of your problem....jmo.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I guess I am lucky. My son is a senior in high school and he refuses to wear 'label' clothes. He shops at Wal-Mart/Target. I have never bought 'labels' either (unless I didn't realize it). It's just not whats important to me.
Assuming you are not a "hillbilly", I am delighted to know that. My earlier impressions from the post were that people that shopped at WalMart were hillbillies..... I shop WalMart and KMart....whereever I can get the best deal.....

I like "designer" clothes or really just better made clothes, they look better and hold up longer. but, I only shop sales or consignment for those items. I wouldn't spend two extra cents on a handbag but I will spend $150 for a book or a beautiful peice of needlework.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte