U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:40 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,137,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
"I have to be honest, I think Charlotte is a great city but it's just not a fit for me. My husband and I are very down to earth, and we have made friends here, but finding "normal" people here is hard. It's all about keeping up with the Joneses in this town, and that is definitely not my scene.

I'm happy that we left Myrtle Beach b/c that place has its own issues - topic for another place and time - but we are definitely looking to move in the next few years. We are looking at Raleigh, Asheville, and Fayetteville, Ga."

I have a friend that lives in California and she says Charlotte is very 'white collar'. She said she feels very uncomfortable here because of the way everyone dresses (business attire) etc. She also said the same thing about everyone trying to keep up with the Joneses.

It seems to me that the people that put these labels on others have some type of issue with themselves. I have met tons of people in my 50 years of life (46 years in Charlotte) and very few are going to end up being good friends for a number of reasons (how many friends can you really have). I do think however, that I can find something in common with almost everyone I meet.

Seems to me that many of us worry too much about what others think/do/wear/buy etc. instead of living our own lives. Be yourself and things will fall in place.

BTW - I think its normal to think you are normal and others are not!
I think it's funny that you condemned me for "labeling" and then contradicted yourself in the next paragraph. I left that one in bold for you.

I've been here for almost 5 years and met hundreds of people. I'm not concerned with making zillions of friends, so I'm not sure where you were going with your comment about friends. I have also taught here and have never met so many spoiled rotten children and idiotic parents in my life. Money is not important to me and never will be. Unfortunately, to 99% of Charlotteans it is the most important thing in the world. I would prefer to live in a place where people don't value money, possessions, false relationships and image over family and friends. Not too sure how I can be more of myself and let things fall into place - other than leaving.

Thanks for your advice anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 07:41 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,653,743 times
When I wipe the smudges off the rear view mirror, it wasn't financially the best time to move for me, however as I've said ad nauseum, finances aren't the only indicator.

I love where I live, and I love that my kids are happy and see their extended family alot. We've had struggles like every family, but I wouldn't change anything over the past couple of years....

Old 05-17-2010, 07:52 PM

2,833 posts, read 4,144,053 times
Coastalgirl - Sorry if you thought I was condemning you - I wasn't. It sounds to me like you are miserable in Charlotte - I hope you will be happy in your next city!

Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM

8,733 posts, read 7,940,417 times
We moved here 3 years ago and haven't regretted a day of it.

I don't find Charlotte to be any more "keeping up with the Jones'" than where I grew up, and that was small town Michigan (Lansing).

Your mileage may vary...

Old 05-17-2010, 07:56 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,137,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Coastalgirl - Sorry if you thought I was condemning you - I wasn't. It sounds to me like you are miserable in Charlotte - I hope you will be happy in your next city!

Thanks! I am not miserable here, I just don't love it here. I think it's a beautiful city but it is definitely not the place for me. Ironically, we are stuck b/c of money! We have to wait it out a few more years so we don't have to give our house away.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 AM

7,108 posts, read 9,710,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Thanks! I am not miserable here, I just don't love it here. I think it's a beautiful city but it is definitely not the place for me. Ironically, we are stuck b/c of money! We have to wait it out a few more years so we don't have to give our house away.

Best of luck to you and sorry you're "stuck b/c of money". Nobody should have to stay in a place they don't like. And thanks for explaining "down to earth" as I now understand where you're coming from. You know,it's hard to learn a new language, customs, habits, etc. but it all becomes clearer as I read these wonderful posts.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:45 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
People who are not concerned with impressing you with their things, whom they know, etc. to get you to like them. They are nice, sincere and straightforward.

My personal definition is someone that I like to hang out with in their kitchen.
Well then I've been lucky b/c those are the kinds of people I hang out with right now in my neighborhood and at the gym. I do know a few people who are all about $$ and appearances, but beyond a "hello" I don't associate with them. We just don't have much in common.

Coastalgirl: maybe it's more the neighborhood you are in?

Old 05-18-2010, 06:47 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,100,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
This goes to show that a lot of what we think about an area is influenced by whom we meet. We lived in the Raleigh area for 10 years and find the Charlotte area to be more down to earth.
We considered and visited Raleigh and surroundings (Hillsboro,Chapel Hill, Durham) 3-4 times as we did Charlotte before we settled for the Chalrotte area.
Charlotte seemed more down to earth and friendly than any of the areas I mentioned above.

I do sometimes wonder if we shouldn't have discounted the Wilmington area so quickly.

Having said that, everything considered, including the facts that ours was an international move and that I'm not able to work, we are happy.
Hasn't been as easy for us to find people with similar interests though.
We defiinitely aren't about keeping up with the Jones'

Old 05-18-2010, 07:12 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,465,121 times
We will have been here two years as of next month. I would gladly do it again. We have made a lot of great friends here, live in a great neighborhood...no regrets at all.

I don't see the "keeping up with the Joneses" thing either...at least no more so than any place else I have ever lived.

Pink Caddy - do you mind if I ask what your native language is / where you are from?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,396,066 times
No. Why?
1. Jobs are only concentrated around banking and finances.
2. Charlotte has an identity crisis.
3. Constant tag of war between locals (Southerners) and transplants (Yankees).
4. Over priced real estate.
5. High state and local taxes, not much in return for those taxes.
6. State income tax.
7. No culture, no variety, every one is either black or white.
8. I can think of a city or two with more jobs, lower taxes and real estate prices, no state income tax and more diverse and accepting to minorities and other groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte